Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane 12" + Eighteensound 1"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

Why should we do the R&D for you.

I spend over 20,000 euros on components to find out what works.

You think I'm going to tell you that for nothing.

Wait until I'm desperate and need some friends, then I'll tell you.

What a prick.....
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:29pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:39pm
What if you make 4 round ports where you have corner ports? Pvc takes up a lot less volume than ply.... How does that work?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

Why should we do the R&D for you.

I spend over 20,000 euros on components to find out what works.

You think I'm going to tell you that for nothing.

Wait until I'm desperate and need some friends, then I'll tell you.

I'm from The Netherlands, and I read 20 euros Tongue
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:09am
Thanks for the suggestions all, played around with a few different options, I found the double shelf port, one top one bottom works/fits and has the benefit of using them as handles too.

Swapping the CD for the ND version (Eighteensound ND1070) gives an extra 1cm clearance for the top port also.

www.instagram.com/translate.sound
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:08am
Nice render!!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:58am
Ports against 3 (or even 2) sides of the box will give a shorter length for the same tuning. A single bigger one will give a lower box weight.

I've not tried that comp, but the nsd1095n on that same horn is brilliant and I'd hazard a guess that they're pretty similar.
Don't test the champignon sound
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Nice render!!

Fusion 360 is pretty fun! I used to use SketchUp out of necessity but would never ever have thought of it as a bit of fun like Fusion 360 is! Free on an education license too Wink
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:06pm
Fusion 360 really is great once you get used to its workflows. There is also a free commercial license if you take <£some_amount/yr (I forget exactly). Now it also has 2.5/3D milling capabilities also. Only bad side is that being cloud based it wants to keep all your designs and not let you save locally, but is a Faustian bargain that is worth it for the hobbyist imo.

Anyways don't have a lot more to add to this, but sometimes you just have to make a design and measure it to see where you are.

To aid the prototyping you can make the u-shape part of the ports a lot longer than you intend them to be in the final design. Maybe a good 6" extended out the back and finish them off with another single piece to complete the extended port. Seal up the small gaps with temporary tape or whatever you have. then measure the performance, chop an inch off, remeasure + rinse/repeat until you have a nice graph of port length vs tuning frequency. We all know what the theory says it should be, but when you have a few data points on that curve it should be enough to predict quite accurately what port length you need to hit the FS you're after with all other empirical considerations of the enclosure taken into account.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Edit - Spellin gud

Edited by odc04r - 10 May 2018 at 2:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12