Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane 18B (not XB) in 1850 horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fane 18B (not XB) in 1850 horn
    Posted: 02 August 2005 at 10:15pm
At the request of a guy on SJ, I'm pasting the salient stuff in here.

Most Efficient Driver for 186 / 1850 / Looney Horn
« on: Aug 1st, 2005, 8:35pm »

Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this on, but, what would people suggest as the most efficient driver for a 186 / 1850 / Looney Horn. I want to build a pair for a small room, I don't need maximum SPL's, I use other drivers in it for that, what I want is a nice efficient driver that won't need a massive amp to get a decent volume, but obviously won't be able to blow the roof of either.

I know drivers with a slightly lower EBP will sound more 'hi-fi' as Rog Mogale puts it, as in the PD184 vs PD186 vs PD1850, which is why there is the 186 and 1850 horns. So I want to know if anyone has built 'em with an efficient driver and what they would recommend.

Re: Most Efficient Driver for 186 / 1850 / Looney
« Reply #4 on: Today at 8:54pm »
Quote | Modify | Remove

I dunno dude, a quick browse through usspeaker.com and I was ready to suggest the P.Audio Challenger as it had a Qts of 0.27, but I checked on P.Audio's website and that turned out to be bogus  <angry>

So maybe, and remember I ain't ever tried this, the Fane Colossus 18B, the regular Colossus B not the XB as the XB has a Qts of 0.323 and a BL of 24.6 whereas the B has a Qts of 0.197 and a BL of 29.4, plus it's got a 98dB sensitivity or a 4.25 no and is rated at only 400W, out of the B, the B-600 and the XB, the B looks like both the most efficient and the best suited in a horn (Lowest Qts, highest BL).

If I were you ask on http://speakerplans.com/forums they have one specifically for 1850 / 186 horn, or search the archives in case it's been done before. Good luck.

Just to add, the difference between the 1850 and the 186 is that the 1850 is for drivers with an EBP of over 125 and a BL of over 28, the 18B has an EBP of 147 (EBP = Fs / Qes) and a BL of 29.4, so it looks like you'd want the smaller rear chamber of the 1850 and not the 186, but again check it on speakerplans forum.

Basically, can someone check my headwork, and tell me if the Fane 18B really is suitable for use in the 1850 horn, albeit at a lower volume. Also will the high EBP, make it sound less hi-fi as Rog puts it?

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 6:24pm
Nobody, wants to express an opinion? Was it something I said? 
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 6:29pm

I don't necessarily think its an issue.  Going from 1500w to 750w should only yield a 3db decrease and 375 a further 3db.  If you're getting 130+db with max power then still achieving 124db with 375w is still going to be bloody loud.

In fact, 110db in your room could well sound llike the roof is coming off and you may only need a handfull of watts to do it

Edited by norty303
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 6:36pm
Actually, as an example, i used my old Pioneer hifi amp to signal test my 18" before i re-loaded them and it gives 25w at 8R and that was starting to shake the place up a bit at less than full volume
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 6:58pm
Aye, ToXiC at it again? I thought more people had figured out hornresp. Perhaps people should buld the cab first and then decide whether the effort was worth it to load it with a cheap driver. The recommended drivers will perform well and don't need to be powered by 2kW, though it is a nice bonus.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 7:03pm

No, it was actually a genuine post on SJ but it sat there a while with no responses.

Perhaps the idea of going for a more hi-fi sound is a good one and a valid reason for substituting the driver, but the power shouldn't be an issue unless the guy has got less than a couple of hundred watts available to him

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 9:02pm
So whats the price of an 18B vs a V18-1000?

The Fane is actually pretty expensive over here, and the Void is non-existant, I thought this guy was in the UK.
Sencesync View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sencesync Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 5:22pm

a v18-1000 for us US guys is still possible to get thanks to the link at speakerplans.com

as long as you have a visa you can get the driver. only diffrence is, Double the price number thats there and youl have your price in US dallors. im more then sure that visa credit and debit cards automaticly do a money conversion if its a international trade. i will be testing this soon, i've been told by many that it is true, but i will see for my self, im in need of 4 of the V18-1000s...

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 6:42pm
I still think the MaxPro 18-250 is a viable alternative, they distribute in the US.

rich101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 6:14pm

why use anything else other than the drivers the boxes are designed for?  i just dont get it?

no matter what power you use or the volumes you play at it will not determine a better driver.  the whole point of a horn is for efficiency.  so why not just load a specific design with the most functional unit... the one its designed for.

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 6:21pm
Maybe when your bankrolling your own system, don't live in the UK, or happen to have a bunch of alternate drivers lying around, then you may get it.
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2005 at 5:43pm

Fane 18B (not XB) in 1850 horn

i built 2 1850 horns loaded them up with fane 18b and the first gig i used them at they blew Cry

I wouldnt recommend using fane drivers in the 1850 horns -cus they just dont produce enough bass- Embarrassed

i was driving a pair hard with a crown 3600vz and i wud be lucky to have enough bass for 70 people!!

i dont know how they would sound in multiples of 4-but a pair sound sh*t!!LOL

hope this helps!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>