Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FANE 1X15 Longthrow bass cabinet drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FANE 1X15 Longthrow bass cabinet drivers
    Posted: 16 August 2007 at 2:53pm

Does anyone have any idea what bass driver would work in these? Usually Fane was good about listing the recommended drivers on the plans page, but this is the only one that didn't have them listed. All that was said was loudspeakers WITHOUT aluminum domes. Thanks!!!

moray james View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2007 at 11:01am
can you post a link to the cabinet design drawing?
moray james
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2007 at 12:15pm
I would imagine the collossus would be good in it, as it is a fane plan, they would have had that driver in  mind when designing it
smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2007 at 2:46pm
The design was found in the Fane book, and looks "sort of" like the martin 1X15 bin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2007 at 2:52pm
www.spaz.org/~clang/teknode/speakers.html

click on 1X15 long throw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2007 at 8:34pm
Well the rear cavity for the driver is fairly small in this design. You probably want to look for a low Qt driver 0.2 - 0.25 and also a low Vas, Fs would probably be in the 45 - 55 Hz range. Just a guess on my part but probably a good place to start. If you have the cabinet built you could borrow a few drivers with different T/S figures and try them out. That is if you can find some to use for a day, you will find out who your buddies are.
moray james

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2007 at 9:10pm
Take a look at this Ciare design "BT01 A" at this site http://web.archive.org/web/20000615032256/http://www.ciare.it/Myprospeak.htm
   The cabinet is similar and the driver selection is probably about what you will need for your fane cabinet design.
moray james

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 2:27pm
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I now have a good starting point. The Fane plans did show them using a Studio 15B in small print. I looked up the parameters, but they were way out of line for what was suggested, but I figure they were for the "new" Studio 15B, which is now discontinued anyway, and not what would have been the original 15B.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 7:36pm
Electrovoice EVM15L were and are still popular in designs like these.
   EVM15L Fs 43 Hz., Qts 0.283, Qes 0.25, Qms 4.96, Vas 8.7  l, xmax 3.3 mm.
 Here is a similar size cabinet by Ernst Beck, translated to english.
Another (better) Beck design about the same size
Yet another Bec design (probably one of hes best)
moray james

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 8:23pm
The E-V 15L / 15B have always been popular with this type cabinet from what I've seen. I wonder about power handling and such. Fortunately they can be reconed reasonably easily. I don't have the exact model number in front of me (I'm at work), but Peavey has a 15 that has possible parameters. Qts .26, Vas 5.?, and Fs 38, a little lower than recommended, but a possibility, AND, has a field replacable basket so repairs can be done on site.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 11:03pm
Rog could point you in the direction that you want but you will need to be specific with what your goals are with respect to the cabinet you design. Your intended use and information as to the other gear that you plan to use this cabinet with will also help. You can help to create a short list if you tell Rog what you have to spend on the driver too.
   Just as an aside Dynacord have several similar designs (B6 but this cabinet uses a reflex vent on the back side of the driver so different specs)  you might look at it as well.
   Posting a poll type question for modern designs to fit your intended use would get you some current user info which could also help to give you some direction. There have been a number of impressive designs on this forum that might also serve your purpose?
moray james

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2007 at 5:55pm
These will be used for live sound. I'm sure there are better designs (this site for example), but our high school re-union is coming up, I'm not saying which one, and my band is getting back together for old times sake. These cabs LOOK scary just looking at them. Until two years ago, I never even knew they were Fane cabs. We used 6 per side, 2 cabs wide arrayed and three high. I can't remember the model number for the Peavey mid-horns, and the high end was covered by JBL 2397's. Apparantly the amp rack is still intact with 1 McIntosh MC2300, and two Phase Linear 700's.
I don't plan on using anywhere near this many cabinets. Not necessary. Two Fanes bins per side is all I'm looking for. I still have the 2397's. Midrange??? Undecided.
 Post Reply Post Reply