Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane CD 145 diaphragm 16 ohm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fane CD 145 diaphragm 16 ohm.
    Posted: 22 November 2017 at 6:52pm
Does anyone know where it is possible to find any of these? I understand that they're discontinued. Complicating matters even more, the ones I require are 16 ohm. I'm told that the CD 150 Neo will also fit, but I'm also told that the 16 ohm option is discontinued, too.
I understand they're the ones used in Fk 1 Res 3 model. I haven't actually blown any, but I'm thinking about buying some as a contingency.
Any help would be appeciated.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 9:05pm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Diaphragm-for-Fane-CD-140-CD-150N-Driver-16-Ohms-Titanium-/232381621800

CD150 Neo compatible. Should work.

Edited by Hemisphere - 22 November 2017 at 9:06pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:41am
Thank you, Sir! How did I miss that one? Possibly, I searched UK only. I do like to avoid purchasing from the USA, because of customs charges. They, themselves aren't too bad, but Parcel Force charge a collection fee, that is usually more than the actual duty!

However, they're not ridiculously expensive, and I can't find any here.....

Edited by funkyparrot - 23 November 2017 at 9:49am
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:20am
Those ones are not original, just cheap Chinese diaphragms that will fit but i doubt they will sound the same.  

Have you tried ringing Fane?  They did me a batch some years back. 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:22am
Or possibly you could speak to blue aran and see if they would be up for getting a batch made by Fane / PD, they seem to be fairly in demand in the UK so they might be up for it.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:27am
I did contact Blue Aran, but the reply was, "They are discontinued". At one time, Fane were incredibly helpful with spares, but they're now part of a bigger group, that is totally disinterested in the heritage of the companies they have purchased.
I can't understand why these are discontinued, because, if you look at the back of a Funktion 1 Res 4 skeletal, what do you see?

Edited by funkyparrot - 23 November 2017 at 11:12am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:42am
I wouldn't be so scathing of after-market diaphragms. I mean, yes they will have been produced in China and may not perform identically, but it'll be close enough in a pinch.

The art of cloning parts more or less identically is much easier than the more murky aspect of Chinese manufacturing, which is when they try to produce something that looks the same for vastly decreased cost, bodging it with every corner they can concievably get away with cutting.

I don't think that's whats happened here. It's certainly not a case of 'looks like it but won't sound like it'. You could produce a CD diaphragm for a couple of $ if all that mattered was how it looks.

As you say this issue seems to come up frequently so it would be interesting to see this part tested and measured.

Edited by Hemisphere - 23 November 2017 at 10:46am
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:44am
Your lucky Blue Arran replied! They have ignored my last emails I found the HK parts I was looking for from JHS cheaper in the end. 

I just ordered a CD150n Diaphragm 10 mins ago for £30 UK based and they have 3 left.

Edited by KDW32 - 23 November 2017 at 10:45am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:53am
Thanks KDW Just ordered 2. Possibly the same as those in America, but it's cheaper to find out if they're any good this way. I can't understand how I missed these, in a search.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 12:18pm
Mutually respectful business arrangement perhaps?

Funktion One and Fane are both for profit businesses who work in close conjunction with one another. Enhances a sense of exclusivity of F1 parts, F1 get a cut on each sale sweetening and reaffirming their ongoing trade relationship with Fane (not as if there aren't alternatives out there), etc.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 3:45pm
I've just tried fitting an aftermarket Electrovoice DH2A diaphragm, purchased from the seller of those CD 150s....Oh. Dear! The terminal screw holes aren't big enough!  If I try to force or drill, I'm risking fracturing the flat lead going to the coil....But, even worse, if they've got that measurement wrong, what else is inaccurate? I'm hoping the 150s aren't from the same supplier......

The original is on the left.

Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 4:15pm
Hey buddy I got a replacement cd150n diaphragm from ebay for my cd145. Its an aftermarket copy for sure but I cannot hear the difference between that and the original, I am fussy too! Fitted perfectly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>