Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane Folded Horn 15'' driver advise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by T-Bone T-Bone wrote:

I would just sell them and buy BB and build something from this site you'll be better of in the long run.Thumbs Up

Any suggestions for replacement cab's ? HD 15's  or Cubo 15 maybe?  I've already build a MTH - 30 tappen horn 12'' with PD12sb30 , total cost with driver is 250 -+ euros , but it sound really great.

But thanks for the advise , they are no for sale in my country about 90 euros for the 4 cabs...

Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 3:00pm
It's 2014 and I have six of these bad boy's there are decent cabs (mine are made out of ply wood), yes old school but decent. All loaded with Fane Colossus 15XB's with Matrix MF7000's driving them.. there do give a good kick and shift some air. Don't sound weak at all.

Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Biggus Biggus wrote:

It's 2014 and I have six of these bad boy's there are decent cabs (mine are made out of ply wood), yes old school but decent. All loaded with Fane Colossus 15XB's with Matrix MF7000's driving them.. there do give a good kick and shift some air. Don't sound weak at all.

Damn , that's nice! but mine are made of chipboard so the performance will be weak ?
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 3:26pm
Well I'm imagining as soon as you but a decent driver in and put some decent power in it will blow itself to bits?? if its something you've got for free then be worth having a play and to find out.
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 3:43pm
Seehnav it depends if you're going to use these for money like PA for hire or DJing either way you need to be careful with them not to get wet and or dropped or sat on or spill beer all over which in my 8 years of DJing have happened. So the wood they used is cheap because its a permanent install so it is not going anywhere but once you start moving speakers around the corners will chip, it will get wet, a couple of times people will even dance on top of subs, it will be dropped. So if you can keep those from happening more power to you. I would consider building Tapped Horn like a hybrid Cubo 15 or Cubo Extended 18, I plan in the near future to build Marc's MTH-4654 loaded with 21" for bigger gigs and for smallest setup a Cubo Extended 18 loaded with PD 186. Good Luck!Approve
BASS, how low can you go!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 3:55pm
look.... iv used and borrowed cheap chip-board speakers before. just loaded them up, give them a lick of paint and use them til they die. you may as well make some money out of them even if its just your money back from buying them! as long as its you doing the rigging and transport and you are a little more careful with them then your normal ply built speakers i recon you'll make some good money from them and then wen they FINALLY do die use the drivers to build some 15" tapped horns.

use what you have til they die. but i bet you WILL get a fair bit of use out of them before they meet that big fire place in the sky!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

look.... iv used and borrowed cheap chip-board speakers before. just loaded them up, give them a lick of paint and use them til they die. you may as well make some money out of them even if its just your money back from buying them! as long as its you doing the rigging and transport and you are a little more careful with them then your normal ply built speakers i recon you'll make some good money from them and then wen they FINALLY do die use the drivers to build some 15" tapped horns.

use what you have til they die. but i bet you WILL get a fair bit of use out of them before they meet that big fire place in the sky!

these are some inspiring words Smile I'll keep that in mind , they gonna be probably 1 time/month out of the door. And transport will always be careful. 
Meanwhile my mth-30 will keep me satisfied Smile ...
Seehnav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seehnav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by T-Bone T-Bone wrote:

Seehnav it depends if you're going to use these for money like PA for hire or DJing either way you need to be careful with them not to get wet and or dropped or sat on or spill beer all over which in my 8 years of DJing have happened. So the wood they used is cheap because its a permanent install so it is not going anywhere but once you start moving speakers around the corners will chip, it will get wet, a couple of times people will even dance on top of subs, it will be dropped. So if you can keep those from happening more power to you. I would consider building Tapped Horn like a hybrid Cubo 15 or Cubo Extended 18, I plan in the near future to build Marc's MTH-4654 loaded with 21" for bigger gigs and for smallest setup a Cubo Extended 18 loaded with PD 186. Good Luck!Approve

Those MTH 4654 looks brutal! I've got a MTH 30 and it sounds amazing , wondering what a MTH-4654 will sound like Big smile

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 6:35pm
iv got a tham12 myself with the same driver and love mine too. its part of my 2.1 system.

once a month!!.... if they dont last at least 2 years i'll eat my hat! iv had soundlabs (shite UK brand) or "big reds" as they are known on here and they lasted me 3yrs and i got them out all the time and shoved them in the back of anyones car that would take me to where i wanted to be. i killed all the drivers before the boxes gave up.  as a side to that.... i gutted the big reds, put bracing inside, and repurposed them into active bass bins with cheap cheap drivers that is now part of a suicide rig and those boxes are still in one piece! and they ARE built outta chip board!

T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 7:44pm
The MTH-4654 will do 30 Hz easy with a 21" what Marc told me, still thinking if Celestion or 18 Sound ? $$$  
BASS, how low can you go!
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 10:14pm
[controversy]1550 in the Fanes and then Apache H15 when they die.[/controversy]
Don't test the champignon sound
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2014 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

[controversy]1550 in the Fanes and then Apache H15 when they die.[/controversy]
...possible +1.
Cheap option, kappa LFs and when they die THAM15?.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>