Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ffc/ flatcable repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ffc/ flatcable repair
    Posted: 14 October 2021 at 5:09pm
I got my hands on a fender chroma polaris synth but it has a dreaded issue with worn out ffc- cables which degraded over time. One of the last analog beast who  were maintained on the road by some strategical kicks and whacks.. Once i repaired a opti strobeflower controller with the same issues but i still have nightmares about it.. are there any shortcuts or great tutorials to be found about fixing them? Any help is welcome! 

Edited by Bams - 14 October 2021 at 6:29pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2021 at 11:22pm
I'd have thought it was too old to have FFC's, but if it has, they aren't repairable and are probably custom made.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2021 at 7:49am
it's one of the earlier uses of ffc and indeed bespoke. new panels can be ordered but as the ones now in use are beyond economical repair i want to have a go at fixing them, not intented for rigourous touring, but more as a distraction from current times. last time it took me a lot of splicing the cable and bonding solder with loads of flux. 
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2021 at 9:17pm
Aaaandd… 3 out of 4 cables could be saved by trimming them and carefully scrape the coating of them.. the 4th was cracked too far from the connector :(
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2021 at 1:49pm
RS Components List 1596 FFC cables
Farnell have many options as well.

Could any of those fit, or be modified to fit?
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2021 at 11:44pm
Unfortunately not, but thanks for the thinking along! The kable is one with the membrane itself so it is easier to fix the complete new membrane. 
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2021 at 2:01pm
I've recently been learning to use Kicad to design my own PCB's and have successfully ordered a batch from JLC-PCB. On the JLC website I noticed that flexible PCB's are one of the options they offer. It might not be too hard to measure up the broken parts, draw them in Kicad and have new ones made? You might have to get 5 of each but it won't be very expensive - indeed the first 5 boards are free for every customer, so you could try out the principle before you commit any cash...
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply