Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got them, Now what to do with them???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally got them, Now what to do with them???
    Posted: 19 October 2020 at 1:18am
I upgraded a skating rinks sound system back in late 2016 when the new owners took over. The original system consisted of 8 Klipsch Heresys and 4 Community FRC 15" horns. The Klipsch were taken down and repurposed, a pair made it to my house, but the Community horns remained flown but unused. The 6 QSC K12.2 that I flew in a center circle were not enough for the full house on Friday and Saturday nights so I finally took down the horns from the 4 corners and replaced them with 4 more K12.2.

Now I have 4 monster fiberglass horns and am not sure what to do with them. I have been thinking about building and all horn loaded, all analogue sound system for small group record listening and wondered how good these horns are? They are currently loaded with a pair of JBL 2220A that appear to be reconed with an aluminum dust cap recone kit and a pair of Gauss 5842 but one has a damaged cone. I have not actually tested the drivers. I wondered if I could coaxial mount a BMS 4594ND inside the horn for a point source set up? 

Anyone have any info on these horns? Thanks.

The pics won't load from dropbox, if you right click on the image and select "open image in new tab" it will take you to the dropbox picture. Anyone know how to fix it?

Edited by SonicXtasy - 19 October 2020 at 1:22am
The member formally known as vwbidder.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 7:15am
Upload the pics to imgbb and link from there
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 10:21am
This should work, its the only picture you need to see.

They look awesome, stick some modern drivers in them and chuck a bunch of power up the back of them and put them on top of 6 double 18" subs and smile.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 10:48am
Great picture, Is that you SonicXtasy?

They do look like some fairly serious midrange horns.

The carpets pretty serious too.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 10:50am
Make them into MT122 type boxes with a peizo in between a pair of them.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

The carpets pretty serious too.

My eyes !!
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 11:29am

Speaking of piezo's ha ha. Found this on the Community history page. What an amazing pic for the time.

If you use a coax for the 15" driver, you would need a separate horn to come from the HF part. Bit like the middle horn in the pic.

SonicXtasy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 11:53am
Thanks fat_brstd for the pic post. The original image was way too big to upload to this site.

That pic was for nostalgia for their website, Patty and the horns have been at the rink since it opened in 1977.

This is their 5th rink. All of their buildings are painted pink/mauve and their mascot is a white and pink "Party Panda". I always feel for the person that has to wear the costume. The carpet just matches the theme.

I was going to model these in hornresp. Simple 1 segment horn. S1 and S2 should be easy to calculate, ATC should just be the volume between S1 and driver cone. I can calculate the volume of the rear enclosure but what flare style is it? Is there anything else I need to add to hornresp? Thanks
SonicXtasy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

Speaking of piezo's ha ha. Found this on the Community history page. What an amazing pic for the time.

If you use a coax for the 15" driver, you would need a separate horn to come from the HF part. Bit like the middle horn in the pic.

That is the only pic I could find online. The FRC stood for "For Real Coax" yet only one design was really a coax! I was thinking about setting them up like the center pic with a BMS coax inside for triple coax!Wink
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 3:01pm
Depends on how many you are going to use at once.

If only one cab per side, then a coax or triaxial would work great and give you point source. The last thing you want is 2 HF horns about 1 meter apart firing at you.

If you are going to use 2 per side, then skip the co/triaxial route and use a separate HF horn on top. You could use a coax HF driver on a big horn, as your probably going to need to crossover as near to 500Hz as you can. Celestion Axi2050 would work well.

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 4:56pm
Here are some specs of the Community CB594 horn.

Not quite the the same as the ones that SonicXtasty has. Nearest I could find. The notes are quite interesting.

https://ibb.co/SfGrPYL

https://ibb.co/7KwNfXT
 Post Reply Post Reply