Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First build! Boxes to combine with JBL JRX100's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First build! Boxes to combine with JBL JRX100's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First build! Boxes to combine with JBL JRX100's
    Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:20pm

I have been looking through the forums and studying a bit… I see some conflicting opinions and I think it is best to ask the advice and the this extremely knowledgable community for a final decision for my first mini-system build.

I plan to build 4 boxes to combine with my old (but sturdy) JBL JRX 100’s to get the best system I can for mostly TECHNO play but not exclusively.

From what I have read so far I am dreaming of (2) X1’s and (2) HD15’s but there are two three points I would love a little clarification on if anyone has a moment:

1) are those 4 dream boxes together even a good choice to combine with my JBL tops (I will change them to better tops in the future) or am I going to heavy on the low end?

2) Related to my first question; The HD15 plans says it should only be used in systems with minimum 6 bins, it does seem that makes it an inappropriate choice for me. Assuming that is the case, does anyone have a recommendation on the best unit to combine with 2 X1’s and the JBL tops? 

Any suggestion on configuration would be highly appreciated!

3) Regarding the X1 plans; It seems the original SD18 driver used is no longer in production. The SD18-1700EL has the following disclaimer on the Bluearan website “Please note - this is not the same driver as the original SD18 specified for X1 subwoofer - there will be differences in performance. In the X1 we recommend maximum power of around 1000W 

I HAVE seen this post: https://forum.speakerplans.com/x1--and-graphs-with-diferent-drivers_topic9161. - https://forum.speakerplans.com/x1-data-and-graphs-with-diferent-drivers_topic9161.html but am still having some trouble deciphering the best driver to use.

Does anyone have a definitive / empirical suggestion on the best quality driver to use with the X1 plan?

Thank you all in advance, all very exciting!

Edited by sugerman - 12 September 2017 at 2:26pm
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:34pm
The 1850 folded horn seems wonderful.

If combined with two bins and my JBL JRX100's would this be a well rounded starter system?

Thank you

Edited by sugerman - 12 September 2017 at 3:06pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:14pm
Which JRX? If its 2*15 it is kind of missing the point to build kicks and have separatly 2*15. Wiser solution can be getting horns. Punisher, 186, 1850...
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:27pm
Thanks @gen0me

Yes 2*15

So you are suggesting to use 2*1850's with the JBL's ?

Edited by sugerman - 12 September 2017 at 3:27pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:20pm
Yes thats good option for techno.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by sugerman sugerman wrote:

Thanks @<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">gen0me</span>

Yes 2*15

So you are suggesting to use 2*1850's with the JBL's ?<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>

4.... build 4
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 8:14pm
1850/186 are pretty useless in pairs they really are best in 4 or pref 6+ they roll off at like 50hz
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:14am
2*1850 + 2*JBL JRX100 (15") not worth it?

would 2*X1 (or 4*x1) + 2*JBL JRX100 (15") be better?

I can afford to build 4 X1's but not 4 1850's

Any advice greatly appreciated

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:16am
Would either of the following be a nicely rounded sound with deep hard bass for 100 people?

2*G Subs + 2*JBL JRX 100 15"

2*X1 (Using P-Audio SD18-1700EL (Mk2 version)) + 2*JBL JRX 100 15" 

Edited by sugerman - 13 September 2017 at 5:41am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:14am
Build gsubs they are bigger, but easier to build. They will give a nice stacking height. With gsubs you have a wider choice of drivers. For the x1 you need a fairly expensive driver, like void v-1000 or on a budget pd186.... Cheaper woofers will be torn apart in the x1 if driven hard.

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:31am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Build gsubs they are bigger, but easier to build. They will give a nice stacking height. With gsubs you have a wider choice of drivers. For the x1 you need a fairly expensive driver, like void v-1000 or on a budget pd186.... Cheaper woofers will be torn apart in the x1 if driven hard.

Thank you @bob4....

I do not mind the difficulty or buying a more expensive driver if I can get away with only using TWO X1's - Do you think 2*X1's plus the JBL's would create a full enough sound? I really like the design of the X1 so, hoping I can use them but will for the reflex bins if they will be better function in my case...

Thank you
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:02am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by sugerman sugerman wrote:

Thanks @<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">gen0me</span>

Yes 2*15

So you are suggesting to use 2*1850's with the JBL's ?<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>

4.... build 4

+1 on that. Build 4 1850s. They work better in multiples and it will give you room for expansion later if you change your mid/tops. Your 15s should give you enough upper kick to not need HDs.
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>