Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First build! Boxes to combine with JBL JRX100's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First build! Boxes to combine with JBL JRX100's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:02am
Had many JRX here's my take.

Firstly build he GSubs with nice drivers or two X1 's with Void V18 

Back to the JRX. The 2 x 15's have a silly crossover which once the cabs are actively crossed over from above subs renders the bottom driver pretty useless. They also have the worst 1" driver for EDM, no real top end. So what I have done on three occasions is to replace the 1" (I use Beyma CD10fe on an adapter, or talk to Blue Aran about a suitable screw on one), then remove the crossover from the cabs, wire the 15's in parallel and run the whole system 3 way active, 80hz (x1) or 95hz (gsub) to the 15's and 1k6 ish to the Beymas.

Hideous video but explains well for the JRX range 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qowMG3fowR0

If money is object first job is to lose those 1" in the JRX, even if you leave x over for now

Edited by nickyburnell - 13 September 2017 at 9:04am
It's everything, not everythink!
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Had many JRX here's my take.

Firstly build he GSubs with nice drivers or two X1 's with Void V18 

Back to the JRX. The 2 x 15's have a silly crossover which once the cabs are actively crossed over from above subs renders the bottom driver pretty useless. They also have the worst 1" driver for EDM, no real top end. So what I have done on three occasions is to replace the 1" (I use Beyma CD10fe on an adapter, or talk to Blue Aran about a suitable screw on one), then remove the crossover from the cabs, wire the 15's in parallel and run the whole system 3 way active, 80hz (x1) or 95hz (gsub) to the 15's and 1k6 ish to the Beymas.

Hideous video but explains well for the JRX range 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qowMG3fowR0 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qowMG3fowR0

If money is object first job is to lose those 1" in the JRX, even if you leave x over for now

Thank you @nickyburnell!

That sounds like perfect advice, I am going to go for that plan.

Will build the 2 X1's with Void V18-1000's

Will also go for the Beyma CD10fe, just not sure what "...on an adapter" means in this case although I get the principle that it needs to attach to a horn to fit into the JBL. I will watch the video, maybe it explains.

Again, thank you for a very practical solution.

Would you mind recommending a good crossover to use?

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:34pm
Do it bit by bit. JBL horn screw adapter,

The only place that seems to have them is

https://orangeaudio.co.uk/product/adapter-bolt-on-driver-to-screw-on-horn/

Blue Aran out of stock

People will tell you all sorts of stuff about them not being correct, they work in the above scenario period!

Don't skimp on X1 drivers, Void V18 or PD 1850. One off each side of an iNuke 6000 is the preferred budget way. Keep it like that and let it pay for it's self, then upgrade

Madly enough I am just in the process of doing exactly the same system as you for a pub (again). Got JRX cheap, going hunting for Void V1000's around Lev's manor soon :)

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:45pm

Do it bit by bit. JBL horn screw adapter,

The only place that seems to have them is

https://orangeaudio.co.uk/product/adapter-bolt-on-driver-to-screw-on-horn/ - https://orangeaudio.co.uk/product/adapter-bolt-on-driver-to-screw-on-horn/

Blue Aran out of stock

People will tell you all sorts of stuff about them not being correct, they work in the above scenario period!

Don't skimp on X1 drivers, Void V18 or PD 1850. One off each side of an iNuke 6000 is the preferred budget way. Keep it like that and let it pay for it's self, then upgrade

Madly enough I am just in the process of doing exactly the same system as you for a pub (again). Got JRX cheap, going hunting for Void V1000's around Lev's manor soon :)

Yes absolutely want the best X1 drivers!

I have two CROWN XLS-602 I was hoping to use with the X1, not powerful enough? 

Thank you for taking the time on all of this, so appreciated!

Edited by sugerman - 13 September 2017 at 6:48pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 6:49pm
Bridged 8 yes, fine
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:02pm

Bridged 8 yes, fine

Perfect!

Final question Clap the PD 1850 seem even higher end than the Voids, would you recommend those as top choice if I can figure out how to afford?

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:20pm
I would love to say yes, but you need to trawl the Scoop section for that answer. Old 1850 vs 1851, you might need a flak jacket if you ask questions!

V1000 seems proven but post wanted ad here for either, Reggae man always changing!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:25pm
PS. 'been nice actually discussing a diy budget start up instead of a ton of Incubus or Danley. :)

I'll hedge a bet that your JRX become DJ monitors in the end Wink and your partner (in life) will become very angry.......
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 8:05pm
sugar man, do you have any previous woodworking experience?
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 8:55pm

and your partner (in life) will become very angry.......

Nicky speaks the truth Wink this is like a drug, I started small and now have had to rack out the garage to store speakers LOL

I wish you luck with your first build.... there WILL be more Smile
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:36am
GSubs (or Fane 200l) with 18XBs with JRX125 with the HF replaced with a CP350ti is fecking lovely.
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:45am

I would love to say yes, but you need to trawl the Scoop section for that answer. Old 1850 vs 1851, you might need a flak jacket if you ask questions!

All good, I can handle it! Love of knowledge!

Assuming we  build the X1's I will stick with your recommendation of the Void V18-1000...

This is the one you are talking about, right: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=VODV181000_2PK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>