Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First build! Boxes to combine with JBL JRX100's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First build! Boxes to combine with JBL JRX100's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:47am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

sugar man, do you have any previous woodworking experience?

Me myself only some, but I have a team here in Bali (I live here) that can build anything!
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:49am
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

and your partner (in life) will become very angry.......

Nicky speaks the truth Wink this is like a drug, I started small and now have had to rack out the garage to store speakers LOL

I wish you luck with your first build.... there WILL be more Smile

Thank you, so looking forward to honing skills on this build and gaining knowledge!
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:51am
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

GSubs (or Fane 200l) with 18XBs with JRX125 with the HF replaced with a CP350ti is fecking lovely.

Thanks @SamV - I have been thinking about the reflex option as well, but I am not sure my two Crown XLS 602's (Bridged behind each bin) would sufficiently run the 4 drivers?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 8:15am
If 16 ohm drivers were available easily life would be a lot easier. nice 8r 2x18 cabs for cheaper 8r bridged amps.

Single reflex is an option with say a Fane Prime? but that driver restricts you if you want to do horn or bandpass later

If you get some V1000 drivers in the X1's you can experiment later. Try mini scoops (not really a techno thing tho) or WSX is supposed to be a monster modded with V1000 standalone. X1 works indoors, is saleable, looks menacing and is an easy build for first time.

It's everything, not everythink!
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 10:44am
@nickyburnell OK its done, ordering the V1000's and starting dem X1's -- Lets do this thing!! Thank you for all the advice will post the results!
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 9:13am
@nickyburnell, just a quick update all in the works and thank you so much for your help. Just got the V1000's they are beasts!

I need one more amp to get the 3-way system in place. This is my current configuration, wondering if you have a suggestion on the final amp to add.

X1's: An XLS 602 (bridged) behind each
15" of the JBL's: one XLI 3500 running on two channels 

I need one more amp for the Beyma CD10Fe OR use one of the XLS 602's and change things around.

Any thoughts on that - going for the best best possible sound I can get...

Thanks!!

E

charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 10:09am
I had the JBL SF25 which is basically the older version of the JRX, maybe ever so slightly better build but same POS HF driver.
I built cubo subs (loaded with 18sound 18nlw9000 and 9400) to go with them and have been extremely impressed with the output to size/ weight ratio.

If the JRX were stacked on cubo subs it gives a decent enough height in a typical room... if you wanted to go higher flip the cubos on their sides and run two cubos a side with the JRX stacked on top to give a bit more height. You will need to strap it down as cubos will migrate across the floor when driven properly!

With regards cubos vs G subs, I think the cubo will be almost as loud as a G sub but with only one driver, saving you amplifier power and driver cost. It will also be a fair bit lighter but more difficult to build.

I currently have 4 cubos and 6 JBL 18" subwoofers (MP418s and soundpower P744). I use them for different jobs (cubos for raves etc) but sometimes combine them. I did an AB comparison between the cubos and the JBLs with the same amplifier power and program material outdoors (so no wall gain etc).
The JBLs should have been louder as the JBL2241 is more sensitive than the 18sound drivers.

I found the cubo subs to be easily twice as loud as the JBLs and with better low end response and throw. The cubos sounded flat down to 40hz and only a little down at 35hz whereas the JBLs were noticeably down on output by 40hz.

However you don't get this extra output from the cubos with no side effects. Apparently they are a bit spiky in their response and obviously have a narrow pass band compared to reflex subs. However for me the high output more than makes up for these shortfalls. I run them with no EQ and it sounds great to me, never had any complaints even from jungle producers (admittedly not the most discerning, jungle is rough & ready a lot of the time).
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 4:38am
Want to thank all for your help! ESP nickyburnell who guided me through a killer build! SO far the sound is killer! Pic below....

Edited by sugerman - 06 December 2017 at 4:40am
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 7:56am
Well done :)
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 8:10am
Thank you concept-10

I plan to use the modified JRX's as Monitors and wonder if anyone has advice on which tops to add to the X1's to achieve a nice full mid/high range. The Mt122 seem great but would I need a 15" horn as well to really fill out the sound?   
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 9:02am
first step would be to get some stands for the tops, get them so the high horns are above average head height.. and stack the x1s together somewhere. will make more of what you have. nice looking x1s.
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 9:20am
Thanks @cravings... Stack the X1's together, as in pressed up side to side? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>