Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First build/ creation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First build/ creation
    Posted: 13 March 2018 at 8:55pm
I found a calculator that gives you the measurements for a folded Horn cabinet with the driver of your choice... The only thing is the measurements they gave me are ridiculous what am I suppose to do here lol, this is what they gave me

The Mouth Area :

47084 cm2

The Throat Area:

218.18 cm2

Compression Chamber Volume :

11.95 liters

Horn Lenght :

17.2 m

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 9:16pm
I assume it's a 20hz horn...
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
chong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 9:41pm
Yeah it is...was lol the horns I've seen go down that low and they weren't 2 miles long so how do I do this?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:05pm
You want a quarter of that....

And 20 is REALLY super super low, your amps will stay nice and warm at those frequencies too. Aim for 40ish and let the roll off of more then one horn do the rest for you

Edited by mini-mad - 13 March 2018 at 10:08pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:21pm
tapped horn or ported horn. or use it indoors and put it in the corner of a room.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:47pm
Corner should get you ABOUT an extra 6dB worth of extra oomph!... and will help with the bottom end too.

It's never gonna be bang on as things in the room can absorb the sound and standing waves in the room won't help either but as I said aim for more like 40hz. It will bring down the size of the box/horn quite a lot.

This for home hifi, car or PA?
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:53pm
6dB boost is for corner loading a reflex. Horn efficiency boost for corner loading is much greater. Same as stacking horns vs stacking reflex.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply