Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First DIY build - MTH-30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 5:56am
well I have found the driver that Danley uses for his cabs
Faital pro HP1020
700w RMS
1400 Program

dont suppose someone fancies doing a sim with the MTH-30 if they are feeling in a good mood...
Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 8:59am
"well I have found the driver that Danley uses for his cabs"

The TH-Mini pictured at the Danley site uses this driver:

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/294-665.pdf

The TH-812 and TH-412 look to use a Faital Pro driver, but it may be custom as Danley rates it at 1KW per driver and there is no 12" driver rated that high at the Faital Pro site.

The difference in weight is about +7lbs, and -0.6875mm in x-max for the B&C, but it is $100 less (in the USA, $180 vs $280).

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/hps.php?id=201050110

djk
jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 9:56am
ah well thought I might have got somewhere.

okay how would the B&C Driver work in the MTH-30
Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
huhts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huhts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 10:34pm
if someone is using rhino3d I have a model of mth-30. I can try to plot it as a 2d pdf with cut sheet when I'm back to office with autocad.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 8:39am
"okay how would the B&C Driver work in the MTH-30"

Hmm, I dropped both the Faital and the B&C into my AkAbak TH design, and the RCF LF12G301, PD 12SB30 ,  RCF L12P540, and the JBL 2206 all look better.
djk
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Hmm, I dropped both the Faital and the B&C into my AkAbak TH design, and the RCF LF12G301, PD 12SB30 ,  RCF L12P540, and the JBL 2206 all look better.

Funny that? I was thinking about the 2206 in this cab yesterday, I know the PD driver is very cheep for what is is but the jbl has better power handling with the extra 200 watts & easier to source second hand.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 6:13pm

Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Hi _djk_
how did you take care of the driver volume that protrude into the last 2 horn segment?

cheers, bitzo
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 10:29pm
I usually design with about 100~150cm^2 extra at the mouth. This gives a small bump in the simulated response right before cut-off.
djk
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 10:36pm
uhummm a different way from mine... I calculated the volume and how is took place in the segment regarding baffle angle. a bit tricky but it's pretty close to measurement.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 9:37am
I'm not sure if it's the cross-sectional area, or the volume that's important. I suspect it's the area of the mouth being blocked, not the volume being displaced. In any event, a little extra area dosn't seem to hurt anything.
djk
asaa00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by loonie loonie wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, CoD took over last night.

Here is said file:

Apologies for not having the actual file, I must have deleted it for some stupid reason, I'll see if I can find it and upload it for all of you with all of my other CAD plans.

In response to how it sounds, I'm very happy, the bass is plenty enough for indoors, and as everyone says they do give an 18" a run for its money. Smaller rooms make it sound much better indeed, I use a Basys B3 to do my subs, but I'm unsure if their filters stop at 20/30/40hz, there is quite a bit of cone movement with the PD 12SB30, but it never sounds bad. There is also a slight bit of chuffing but that can't be helped because of the design of the driver.

All in all, I'm going to build 3 more as I have the drivers here, they're going to be great under my Void Mycro's as they're stupidly clear and the sub bass from the MTH is next to none. I'd highly recommend building one for DJ booth monitor subs, home cinema re-enforcement, or just for playing music through.

This is a serious cab, I just think I need more of them to keep a constant smile on my face, then again saying that, we used to think that the Void's at 50hz gave enough bass, this cab really does give the warmth and subby lows that you need for most types of music.

I don't know if you listen to much D'n'B or Old Skool, (I personally hate the stuff, but have a load of DJ's who play it here) But the MTH coped really well with only a JBL GT4 cab sub. The sub was much slower with the JBL as opposed to the PD, but she kept up well indeed. Its a shame I don't have all of my gear at home any more as I'd have done some plots for you.

Let me know if I've missed out anything LOL.

Hey!  Id love the sketchup plans if you ever found them!  (your PM is full) asaa@ggsoundsystem.com

Thanks!!

Edited by asaa00 - 19 August 2010 at 8:51pm
hey_homes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hey_homes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 9:44am
Originally posted by loonie loonie wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, CoD took over last night.

Here is said file:

Guys, with regard to the angle at the end of the 340 mil front panel, how do you work it out? Is it simply a case of measuring it - like with a protractor - or am I missing something?

Edited by hey_homes - 06 September 2010 at 9:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>