Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Rig - "Expander" Plans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Rig - "Expander" Plans
    Posted: 20 June 2017 at 11:59am
Hi All!

I've been meaning to put together a system for a while now and just came into enough money to do so.

Aims are:

• Small enough to fit in a hatchback
  • Playing in and outdoors to <50 people
  • Genres from dub/reggae to house/garage through dnb/breakcore
  • Unlikely to grow larger unless I get a van
It looks like the plans found here: 
http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9947

are pretty perfect. This being my first build I've got some questions that I'd like answers to before I go pulling the trigger on buying drivers etc!

In no particular order:

Driving the system:
  • The recommended drivers for the rig don't come to a huge amount of money. Especially for the compression driver I'm super open the idea of paying more for a driver that is going to produce better highs, especially if that reduces the ear fatigue I associate with cheap, tinny, distorted highs. Are there any better quality 1" driver/horn combos that spring to mind that will have similar enough parameters to swap them straight in?
  • Same goes for the sub and mid driver - any drivers that cost a bit more but will yield noticeable sound quality increases?
  • If a compression driver is rated down to xHz, where should I set the crossover? 2.5-3 would have been my guess
  • What amplifiers are best suited to driving an 8ohm load at that power range? I was considering getting a behringer inuke nu4-6000 and using it as a 2.1 system, running the sub in bridged mode. Is that sensible or am I better off with 2 separate amps and some sort of digital crossover?
Building the system

• Will there be any noticeable difference in 15 and 18mm material?
  • How much internal bracing will the sub need - the plans call for none? Batterns as a minimum?
  • Will generic 'hardwood' ply do in place of Birch?

Thanks for reading through that mountain of questions - will put a project thread up as soon as things get under way!

Cheers
Z
Zik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 12:05pm
Can't work out how to edit posts so for completeness the drivers the plans call for are linked below:

P Audio E10-200S
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUE10200S&browsemode=manufacturer

P Audio PHT408
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUPHT408&browsemode=manufacturer

P Audio E-18ELF (Substituted for the FL-18ELF)
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUE18ELF&browsemode=manufacturer
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 12:38pm
looks neat, reminds me of the outline kanguro system. 

Just throwing another option:

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Zik Zik wrote:

Can't work out how to edit posts so for completeness the drivers the plans call for are linked below:

For your future assistance click on 'Post Options' (top right of the article) and select the bottom option 'Edit Post'
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 7:36pm
if you don't mid paying a bit extra for quality drivers then maybe search the forum for tony wilkes Q18 compact bass bin and Q28 tops these use top of the range BMS drivers ,sadly tony passed away but forum member bee has the plans available for a small donation to British heart foundation
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply