Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexvanhuisseling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First soundsystem
    Posted: 26 May 2023 at 3:08pm
Hello,

i am planning to make my first soundsystem for playing electronic music outdoors (Tekno, Hardcore, Techno, Psytrance). i have build some MHB4818 subwoofers in the past (sold them by now) and would like to get your recommendations on what would be some relatively easy (easy to intermediate) cabinet designs that i can build with basic tools, what speakers/drivers i would have to combine them with and if you guys can give me just a general overview on how my system could look like from the beginning and how i could expand upon it in the future. so basically what to start with and what to add later etc.

also it would be nice if some of the recommended cabinet designs are relatively small/portable so they are easier to store and so that i don't have to work with enormous wooden panels that don't fit my table saw.

To summarize my wants:
Sound quality (1 = worst, 10 = best): 7,5/10
Volume (1 = weak, 10 = earth shattering): 7,5/10
Portability (1 = entire crew needed for lifting, 10 = Bluetooth speaker): 6/10
Preffered plan difficulty (1 = basic box, 10 = high end design): 4/10
Budget: (1 = broke, 10 = rich) 4,5/10

also feel free to give me some extra tips!

would really appreciate the help!

BrainlessTekno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainlessTekno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2023 at 10:47am
hey, if you want to do some tekno style raves you will need strong bass... also things like SBH are just too big and heavy... i would go with 186 horns... they are not the simplest to build but sure you can do it its not that hard... they are heavy but not like MHBs or SBHs, also there is a whole forum on these cabs here so you could get all the info needed
Rexvanhuisseling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rexvanhuisseling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2023 at 10:32am
Thanks for the info, do you have an idea on what tops would fit with that nicely which also fit the above criteria? i like my high frequencies to have crisp clarity but they dont have to be ultra loud.

also do you have any other options to explore regarding subwoofer plans?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainlessTekno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2023 at 3:42pm
Well if you want tops with 186 horn check the 1850/186 forum, btw 1850 is also good choice but in my opinion its more expensive to load 1850s.

well some other cabinets... i would go for horns only if you want to play tek. 
You shoud check some other sound systems and see (hear) how they sound... pick what you like. But i can give you my opinion and what speakers did i consider when choosing cabinets... i did like mhb46, ofc super bass horn (but its so fcking huge i cannot carry it but if u have ppl to help you and car that it fits in its way to go) , or there is a lot of variations of cervin vega that can do its job. I did choose 186 for its good size and loads of information to get.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2023 at 3:59pm
What is you budget in the end? 
Personally I would go with some decent 18" ported cabinets. You can add more and more when you want to go larger.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainlessTekno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2023 at 11:21am
smitske i have to disagree, in case of tekno you would need horns to make low end. I personaly never heard bass reflex that can reproduce tekno bass as well as horns. sure this dont apply to other genres
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2023 at 1:13pm
You won't find any horn loaded cabinet that ticks his boxes. 186/1850 don't go low (even with multiples its not much) and than you lose all portability. You can't have both.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2023 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Rexvanhuisseling Rexvanhuisseling wrote:

also feel free to give me some extra tips!

would really appreciate the help!

If you have raves/parties in your area with existing systems, or even if you can travel to festivals that have a range of different systems/enclosures then I'd say go listen to as many different types of speakers as you can, speak to the operators of the systems, ask what they use, then remember the sound signature of each section/combinations of amps, enclosures, processing, etc. You will develop an ear for it and that may result in you then knowing what you want for yourself and your sound. Everyone hears things very differently. And a lot of that is also psychological. Before you start spending money and making sawdust get in front of as many different systems as you can.
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
Hooneytunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooneytunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2023 at 12:29am
I wanted to ask thought this was a good place to ask,
Why do people recommend horns like these 1850s or 186s or other folded horns like the SBH for tekno style music? 
And why not hogs for example?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainlessTekno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2023 at 8:00am
well i just gave an example, hogs will work just fine Smile
BarSick / barsik soundsystem
Dont want to toot my own horn but toot toot
 Post Reply Post Reply