Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Speaker Build! HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Speaker Build! HELP!
    Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:22am
Aloha!

Im building my first speaker! 

Trying not to re-discover the wheel and go with a somewhat simple design. 

Anyone have some advice?

IDK a thing about these crossovers... 
mauisurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:34am
mauisurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:35am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:49am

A Behringer CX3400 should do it, make sure to use unbalanced 1/4" jacks for the best results.
mauisurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 1:00am
Ha.. Snarky. 

More of the internal type of crossover. Ive seen some pretty nifty soldering some guys do and would love to learn more about what each component does and how to go about calculating for the specific amplifiers and DRIVERS. <--NOOB

Edited by mauisurf - 12 December 2017 at 10:57am
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 1:29am
what a weird first post. are you serious about building some unity horns as a simple first project?

there's a lot to crossover design. how's your general electronics knowledge?
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 7:52am
Lol, this is going to be a good thread.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:10am
+1
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:18am
I honestly can't tell what's happening here. LOL

Surely you will have to measure each band before you start to design a crossover for such box.

Edited by Darkstar - 12 December 2017 at 9:20am
Bass =/= Enough
mauisurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:12am
Zero electronics knowledge but I am like a sponge for information. 

Was going to sign up for a course in Electrical but realized a minute ago that It probably wouldn't touch on this subject in the slightest. 

Ive dug deep to create a list of all DIY synergy horn projects. 

Crossover information is lacking except for a few schematics that I have yet to decipher. 

My friend has the Danley system in LA and Ive decided to go the DIY route. 

Im in Hawaii so shipping would be a bitch. 

My friend has a CNC and im a designer by trade so I thought why not... 

So. Where do I start. I have three drivers chosen for the "prototype". 

Originally I had all three drivers specd' from faital pro with the NEO mags. Decided to lower the budget on the first one. I know drivers are probably the last thing you want to skimp on but being a first speaker why not buy 4 15"s for the price of 1 and yada yada hopefully get the cost down under 1000$ for the single cabinet. Baltic birch has been swapped out for MDF but will still get the polyurea coating once finished. 

New Drivers Are!
Dayton Audio PA-380-8 15" x 4F
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa380-8-15-pro-woofer--295-034

Faital Pro 4FE35 8 ohm 4" x 6
https://www.parts-express.com/faitalpro-4fe35-4-professional-full-range-woofer-8-ohm--294-1124

Celestion CDX14-3060 1.4" x 1
https://www.parts-express.com/celestion-cdx14-3060-14-75-watt-compression-driver-8-ohm--294-2150

Does anyone have any idea why each of these drivers would be a bad choice for this configuration?

I had originally used all Faital Pro like Danley had specd in his earlier models but switched due to cost.

OK so my biggest hangup on this thingy is the splitting of the signal to the mids and highs.

I have two speaker cables running in from two amps with a digital crossover prior splitting the signal between lows and high / mids. but from there I am kind of at a shortfall in wisdom on how to split that second signal and get each of the speakers to run on the same line. 

My friend said there might be an off the shelf component that would do what I wanted but I thought there is probably more to it and I should probably ask someone who has built a speaker before...

Edited by mauisurf - 12 December 2017 at 10:21am
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:15am
We need Efineque who designed the dance stack, he will have all the answers.Smile
mauisurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:31am
Can we do like an @efineque so he gets a chime? 

Havent hit the forums since I was a youngsta Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>