Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first speaker building project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first speaker building project
    Posted: 23 January 2017 at 3:38pm
hi community,

this is my first speaker building project. and would like to know your opinion.

here some background info: i'm djing since more than 10 years, often underground venues. lots of times the pa are not that good and i m a little bit sick of playing on crappy soundsystems. so i thought i would provide the party community not only with music but also with some decent sound.

i got a well payed job so i got some money for this project. but i don't want just buy speakers because i would like to learn some new stuff by building a system. the lasts weeks i ve been reading all around this and other forums.

some thoughts on the aim of this project: for me the main goal of the sound system is hight quality sound in small to medium events, mostly djing. musicwise it s gonna be wide spread:  electronic music, reggae, jazz... mostly inside location but also outdoor

and here what i m planning to build:

i would like to start with
2 x1 + 2 hd15 + 2 mt121
that s small setup but it s a start and if things work out i m planning to expand.
i want to use birch ply wood as suggested and put precision device drivers in all speakers. i got carpenter friends who can give some support with the wood work.

to the questions:

does this combination of speaker make sense?

another more technical question

i think i only need a passive crossover in the mts, the bass speakers are controlled by the an active cross. is this correct?

yours tillin
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 3:47pm
passives are a bad idea for the mt121 [or so most say]
need to be able to time align the two sections within the cab BUT howether
you should be able to run all that off a dcx2496 ultradrive or a similar
processor. I will also add that hd's dont work too well in stacks that small
4 in a mono stack with subs or 6 without works alot better.
4/6 hd's with 2 x1s works pretty well tho
failing that 4 186/1850 horns work pretty well with the 121 tho
just some thoughts.
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by tillin tillin wrote:

i would like to start with
2 x1 + 2 hd15 + 2 mt121
that s small setup but it s a start and if things work out i m planning to expand.

of course everything is subjective, but I wouldn't regard such a setup "small"…. two X1's alone are huge (I've built 5 of them)

Maybe you could elaborate a little bit more detail about the type of events you do, crowd size, required SPL  etc?

If you are serious about sound quality and have the cash to splash as you claim, you should consider building some Peter Morris DIY tops:

bass wise there are a lot of options. two way sub + kick seems tedious for small DJ gigs…. With modern high power drivers and big amps you could get away with two compact 18" reflex bins. 

I'm sure there are many similar products out there on the market, but I was highly impressed recently when DJing (reggae/dub/rocksteady) on a system with two of these fairly nifty 18" subs:

at 182,7 litres they are about half as big as an X1 (369 litres)!

I was impressed by the "pressure" and "slam" these two compact subs delivered in a 200 p capacity venue (placed stage left and right). I've owned and operated X1's and HD15, been to events with lab subs, all sorts of scoops, big festivals….  

food for thought..

fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 8:38am
+1 on the diy tops and some premium 18" reflex subs for the gigs you're describing, far easier to get a consistently excellent sound, the diy's are really loud as well, for edm a double eighteen will struggle to keep up.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 9:05am
il add a plus one to the diy mid tops
some sensible reflex 18s as sugested and can get some horn loaded bass/sub cabs later as you expand and use the reflex for smaller stuff and the horns for the bigger stuff... [might even be able to share the drivers between them]
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 12:16pm
have all of you who are recommending the DIY top heard them?

i often find with gigs indoors in smallish spaces (like the OP is talking about) that my stacks are right to the ceiling.. i've wondered if having the high in the center of the box and not at the top will affect ability to cover the room, get the upper mids and highs above head height?

i've wondered this with a few boxes over the years, like mt122.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

have all of you who are recommending the DIY top heard them?

i often find with gigs indoors in smallish spaces (like the OP is talking about) that my stacks are right to the ceiling.. i've wondered if having the high in the center of the box and not at the top will affect ability to cover the room, get the upper mids and highs above head height?

i've wondered this with a few boxes over the years, like mt122.

fair point. In some of the pics posted on here the ceilings are super low…. but people cram in ridiculously big stacks LOLLOL
tillin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 4:58pm
wow lots of very good suggestions
@bob4s questions:
- event size: i would 50-300 persons
- kind of events: most indoor events, mainly djing, electronic music, soul, funk, reggae, jazz
- required spl: that s hard for me to tell as i m no sound engineer, i really can t tell

those peter morris mid tops look great, i went through to thread but couldn t find any plans for building. are there any plans on the net?

you suggested and 18 reflex design, those here look like the pl audio ones
http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=10329
what do you think of those? got some experience?

thanks for the  link to pl-audio they seem to have some nice amps, when i get further with my project i ll remember them

waiting for more input :)
thanks a lot
 Post Reply Post Reply