Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Time Running Rig Of Genny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Running Rig Of Genny
    Posted: 02 January 2019 at 3:20pm
Hi
tonight I will be running my soundsystem from a generator for the very first time. It is 3.5kva and I intend to power a proline 3000 running two punishers and a very very low watt top. The genny just has mains outlets but seen as this is my very first time doing such a thing, what should I know before plugging everything in?
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2019 at 5:21pm
two things about the generator size. - if you push the 3000watt audio out you'll want around 4200 watts of electrical power to run that. 

Your generator gives KVA which isn't equal to watts unless you have a purely resistive load. But you have an amp with a switch mode power supply, which is a complex load,  So 3.5kva (assuming a power factor of around 0.7 is ~2400 ish watts available.

If the generator has circuit breakers then you may find (given the response time of an MCB.) that you stall the generator before popping a breaker, so if you have fuel and it appears to run fine with little load, that may be why (trying to draw too much power from it.)

(Actuall I might be wrong about it being SMPS, you probably know better than me about that.) 

Edited by Danielr - 02 January 2019 at 5:28pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2019 at 9:31pm
minimum 5Kva Diesel regulated set and a minimum 500W ballast load gets my vote... 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Spanners5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanners5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2019 at 10:32pm
i live on a boat, we have a diesel generator 3.5 kva..... they're loud, try and put a panel (or something) between you and it,  you'll be supprised what they wont power, voltage drops etc. makes our washing machine throw up error codes!!! but our 3k inverter on boat will power it with a 24v alternator behind it. be carefull about earthing. be carefull about your set too Exclamation
Spanners5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanners5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2019 at 10:35pm
oh and check oil level on genny before you start!!! they have cut off and they use oil. keep an ear on genny, if it dont sound right.... its not happy Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 9:20am
Edit :)

Edited by freddymendez - 10 January 2019 at 11:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply