Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flying bass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flying bass
    Posted: 07 December 2006 at 4:26pm
Looking at several design ideas for a 700 person shoebox shaped room, with possible neigbour problems. One idea, to increase spl on the large dance floor, without having a huge bass stack to wind the neigbours up, is to fly 4 rows, delayed, of 2 (stereo L/R) passive mid tops, with a single bass unit underneath each one.
Now I know that flying bass just doesn't work on a large rig, but would it work in a clubby environment, with a single large sub bass under the dj booth, to take care of the lost low end from the flying bass?
 any expereinces?
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
mrfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 5:23pm
hello jody, have been in a similar situation recently,

I guess it depends on largely what you want from the bass, if you want something thats going to move people about from like one of your 24" boxes hanging them seems a bit like its not really going to do it, better a full range/top...

helped kitting out a listed building on a quayside this year, in the byelaws the council stated that no 'bass transducers' were not to be used. The system designer opted for five void impulse 4i's over the dancefloor area running mono as an allround solution. After the installation we still had to the levels on the soundweb as being subless it was still a little too much. Most sound leakage was down to the two fire escapes, unhelpfully theyre designed so that there is room for thermal expansion so in the event of a fire they lock in place and become a structural unit (but leaving a gaping hole the rest of the time)

If you still want some trouser flap it might be worth looking into

a) phase cancellation, like the d&b system for lowering stage volume, (I would be really keen to see this used in an install environment)

or

b) installing an underfloor bandpass system/ or on second thoughts just a couple of bandpass subs around the dancefloor (double 18's something or anothers) to underpin the bottom end, as a full range mid top should still give a reasonable ammount of 100hz kick,   

ta,

will
mrfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 5:24pm
hello jody, have been in a similar situation recently,

I guess it depends on largely what you want from the bass, if you want something thats going to move people about from like one of your 24" boxes hanging them seems a bit like its not really going to do it, better a full range/top...

helped kitting out a listed building on a quayside this year, in the byelaws the council stated that no 'bass transducers' were not to be used. The system designer opted for five void impulse 4i's over the dancefloor area running mono as an allround solution. After the installation we still had to the levels on the soundweb as being subless it was still a little too much. Most sound leakage was down to the two fire escapes, unhelpfully theyre designed so that there is room for thermal expansion so in the event of a fire they lock in place and become a structural unit (but leaving a gaping hole the rest of the time)

If you still want some trouser flap it might be worth looking into

a) phase cancellation, like the d&b system for lowering stage volume, (I would be really keen to see this used in an install environment)

or

b) installing an underfloor bandpass system/ or on second thoughts just a couple of bandpass subs around the dancefloor (double 18's something or anothers) to underpin the bottom end, as a full range mid top should still give a reasonable ammount of 100hz kick,   

ta,

will
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 6:26pm
how do you define a 'bass transducer'?

could you get away with 15" low 10" and 1" top flown? some carnival float i saw this year has 4 FBT 15"+1" abs enclosures flown on each side, had loads of kick and some sub, best sounding in the whole thing!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 7:12pm
Indeed, you can get quite a lot of bass out of a largish 15" + 2" mid-top.  Are you planning to use off-the-shelf cabs or custom designs?
 Post Reply Post Reply