Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Focal, Klipsh, or Martin Logan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseslu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focal, Klipsh, or Martin Logan?
    Posted: 31 October 2022 at 2:40am
Hello,
I am looking to upgrade my current sound system from a Polk sound bar to relatively low budget 3.1 system. So pretty much anything will be a step up, but I have been doing some research.

I am relatively new here, and I'm trying to determine a couple of different things.

A few salespeople have told me that I should build from the center channel speaker out since that handles so much of the dialogue from TV and movies.

That being the case, I've been looking at the difference between the Focal Chora center speaker vs. the Klipsch 504c. I've also been eyeballing the Martin Logan Motion 30.

I would choose a pair of tower speakers accordingly, as I would prefer not to mix and match.
Options would be:
  • Focal Chora 816 speakers with the Chora center
  • Klipsch RP-5000F (version 1) speakers with the 504c (older model)
*Klipsch RP-6000F (version 1) speakers with the 504c (older model)
* Martin Logan Motion 20 (not 20i) speakers with the Motion 30 center

I was given a decent deal on the newest Klipsch RP-6000F ii with 504C ii with 20% off, but I feel like the extra cost might not really justify the benefits when there are good deals on the older models out there.

I have already gotten a receiver. I chose the Marantz NR1510 due to its slim size which will work with the space I want it to. I realize it has some power limitations, but I am not looking for a system that is going to blow the windows out. I'm more interested in a clear, crisp sound, and not necessarily high volume.

I am also looking into a Denon DP-400 with an upgraded Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge, as one of the main drivers behind all of this is a desire to get back into vinyl.

I have a Polk subwoofer that was part of the sound bar package. I would like to see how that sounds with the rest of the set up before upgrading to another sub because I have to draw the line somewhere.

So the speaker budget for the towers/center is probably around $1500. The possibility of going with the Klipsch 5000Fs is intriguing as they are about $320 each leaving me some room to buy some records :)Smile

The room that this will all be going in is approx 17' x 12' with an open wall on the left side.

I will be putting my TV on top of the center channel speaker which give the Klipsch a slight advantage, though the Focal and ML could still work. Wall mounting the TV is not an option.

I unfortunately, do not have many places that are still in business near me that I could go to in order to listen to these. It seems that most places either have REALLY low-end or REALLY high-end, and a lot of middle of the road stuff isn't there.

I hope this post hasn't been too much on the tl;dr side. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Post Reply Post Reply