Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN H8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PKN H8
    Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:14am
http://www.pknaudio.com/H8.html

who got the infos??
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 3:57pm
Weird. Somekind of fullbridge circuit (btw, just like any amplifier in bridge mode). But why is there extra mosfets in series?   Just to make it cool "v8"?
C1 and C3.... what a heck is going on there :D 

Edited by Tonskulus - 12 October 2017 at 3:59pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 3:59pm
Yeah schematic suggests a four channel amp set permanently to full bridge, leaving two channels. Which is a fairly common design?
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 4:03pm
However, any output power advantages there is not.. whatever circuit it is.  There is no V8 sound like V8 car engines does :)

There is just no point making output stage too complex for no actual reason, while you can just use traditional halfbridges, parallel connected fets for current handling, enough supply voltage and be happy.

Edited by Tonskulus - 12 October 2017 at 4:11pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 4:22pm
hahaha the engine thing has only just been placed on there hahahaha. id be interested to see one though :)
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 4:28pm
To me that looks like what friend of mine did long time ago. 4 "amps" and PSUs driving one output, doing 90 degrees of the cycle on each stage. That allows full RMS power on fairly high levels, like 5-6kW true RMS per channel.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 4:37pm
When you get to very high powers, you have to start being clever.  The 'simple' topologies start showing their limitations.

For example the power dissipation in the intrinsic body diode of a MOSFET can become significant if you don't provide an alternative reverse conduction route.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:57pm
As I heard PKN has succeded in bringing multi-level inverter technology for audio amplifier.
The circuitry displayed is something like that...

Multi-Level Inverters with proper modulation are known for their very high output waveform quality but they are super expensive, too complex, filling 2 rooms and I have not seen smaller that few tens of Million Watts yet :-D

U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

However, any output power advantages there is not.. whatever circuit it is.  There is no V8 sound like V8 car engines does :)

There is just no point making output stage too complex for no actual reason, while you can just use traditional halfbridges, parallel connected fets for current handling, enough supply voltage and be happy.

Sure it is! Maybe the best representation what is going on inside the circuit really is the V8 engine with 8 pistons.
There are exactly same reasons why 8 pistons with same crankshaft RPM are more responsive, balanced (less vibrations) plus four times of power than 2 piston engine. This is why the 500HP+ sportscar are usually in V8 piston configuration. If the pistons represents the power switches all you need to do is just a proper sequence to fire them!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 8:34am
even though we don't know what it is yet, i want one
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

To me that looks like what friend of mine did long time ago. 4 "amps" and PSUs driving one output, doing 90 degrees of the cycle on each stage. That allows full RMS power on fairly high levels, like 5-6kW true RMS per channel.

If they're reducing the amount of the cycle that each amp does to and therefore using more amps on a single output the v8 analogy makes sense.

Thats clearly my my knowledge of cars and not amplifiers talking though....
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 11:13am
Polyphase and interleaving is common in large switchmode power supplies.  Since ClassD amplifiers are very closely related it would seem to be a logical step.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>