FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading 12" drivers in mid high cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading 12" drivers in mid high cab
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by sounds4u sounds4u wrote:

atm I have the dual 18 flat on the floor with a pole to place the mid high cab on but I don't think a pole will hold a dual 12 mid high cab.

Build double 12s,  stand the sub up and put it on top with no pole...
Speaker addict
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 11:26am

Hi Peter

Yes it did cross my mind that the de250 may not keep up if I use a dual 12 configuration and if it doesn't then I need to upgrade that ( spending money never stops....lol)
 atm I have the dual 18 flat on the floor with a pole to place the mid high cab on but I don't think a pole will hold a dual 12 mid high cab.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

A dual 12" box is much more likely to keep up with any modern compression driver or subwoofer cabinet. Whether you go mid top mid (d'appolito - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer) or not is another kettle of fish…

Your next complaint could be the driver not keeping up with those dual 12" anymore.
But a dual 12" will work great, that's for sure.
d'Appolito config only if you can stack or hang your tops high enough (as in highs well above people's heads)

Edited by Peter Jan - 25 October 2017 at 2:06pm
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 7:19am
Thank you toastyghost . now I'm confused....Unhappy
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 10:21am
A dual 12" box is much more likely to keep up with any modern compression driver or subwoofer cabinet. Whether you go mid top mid (d'appolito - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer) or not is another kettle of fish…
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 10:13am
I will try shifting the frequencies up from 1.8k and see if it sounds better. never thought if that. that's why its a pleasure being on this forum. I may also experiment with adding another 12 inch and making a dual 12 mid high cab and see if that will also make a difference.

Thank you Elliot and King David for the feedback.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 10:20pm
Your Crossover settings appears to be fine. However, you may want to fine tune the frequencies ranging within the 1.8 kHz - 3 kHz. You may want a more prominent vocal section that only a cone can provide. Compression drivers these days are more tweeters than midrange drivers especially when they are mated on a small horn.  

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 5:34pm
Thank you king and Elliot. I have a crown xti4000 on the mid highs. Elliot in your opinion, what should the relevant cross over points be on those set of speakers from the subs to mid to comp?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 4:24pm
Crossing the subs higher than 100 Hz, is going to have vocals becoming more obvious through the subs. What is needed is more power. Those Fanes should have an amplifier capable of delivering 1000 - 1200 watts RMS per channel at their disposal. 

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 2:53pm
If You have no headroom on the 12 You Can
-use a bigger amp
-cross from the subs higher so they are less stressed doing 90/100hz Bass
-add more 12"
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 11:24am
Thank you for the reply guys..

the subs are g-subs and run them from 38hz - 104hz. I run the 12" from 92hz to 1.8k and the comp 1.8k-20k.

if there is a better way of setting this ,please advise. I use a dcx2496.

Thanks

king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 4:48pm
used that b&c comp driver for years, never broke one, nor the 12"mids below them, if the crossover point is fine the comp is so efficient that you can really feed the mid drivers with the program power to keep up with it.
if the low crossover point of the 12" is higher enough, a good 12" wouldnt mind with program power as long as it doesnt have to play any bass...
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>