Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - MT121 & FANE LONGTHROW COMBO, any advice welcome,
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT121 & FANE LONGTHROW COMBO, any advice welcome,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Keen Keen wrote:

depends on length of horn. It needs to be 1/4 of the lowest wavelength you're trying to get loud. Loading below this is also good. 40hz wavelength is 858cm, horn needs to be 215cm to load it, but going beyond that is good - say 230 odd, because excursion will rise very rapidly below the horn cuttoff. going longer with the horn keeps excursion under control through the HPF slope. 

The other factor is mouth area, the reason why one horn can't create gain in the lower octaves. When 4 horns combine, it starts getting nearer the required mouth area to load the lower octaves. They're acting as one big horn. 

Hah beat me to it!
Hz so good View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 10:22pm
thanks for all your advice, how would I measure the horn length on say a Martin b115 or fane long throw compared to say Es18 bph, do you measure both horns or one? An what do you measure the external perimeter affecting that horn excluding the mouth, say for example I had a single folded horn and it measured 1m x 1m exactly would I be right in assuming that you measure the rear panel at 1m and then the straight edge of the horn at 1m giving me a horn length of 2m? Or am I way off here? Thanks in advance 
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 11:04pm
designs like the b115, where the horns splits, you would only measure one side. 

It's relatively simple measuring horn length. Start from the center of the driver following the middle point between walls until the mouth. 

This example uses a tapped horn, but you get the idea

Related image

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:13am
Nice one cheers for that,  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 11:15pm
Thought Ide put this fane idea to bed but just out of interest, would it be possible to scale up the drawings by say 25% to accommodate an 18" driver, and coupling 4 together, 

The plans for the 15 horn only go down to 60hz, any ideas what could be achieved by going to 18, thanks in advance, cheers   

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 8:00am

Related image

Out of interest, what design is that?
Looks like a scaled down MTH30 - I'm curious about it...

Edited by bitSmasher - 06 December 2017 at 8:00am
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Hz so good Hz so good wrote:

Thought Ide put this fane idea to bed but just out of interest, would it be possible to scale up the drawings by say 25% to accommodate an 18" driver, and coupling 4 together, 

The plans for the 15 horn only go down to 60hz, any ideas what could be achieved by going to 18, thanks in advance, cheers   

As said above, Youre going to need multiples of to get low. scaling a flh kick bin which really designed to be run to 90-400/500hz to go lower it would have to be huge. Driver size increase wont make any odds.. Only way to go lower is to use a longer horn design. So you need a sub design to run under it. The upside to that fane is you don't actually need a midtop. You could just use a coaxial horn and get better point source in the mf/hf.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Related image

That isn't scaled.. it IS an mth30. I had one in my bar til about a month ago and would play dance music on it with a pair of sx100 tops and it would pound nicely all night long. I have been contemplating over the past two years to just scale it up to a 15" for fun just to see how it sounds as I do love the design and the 12" version I already have is made of 15mm OSB as it was ment to just be a test bin. But have used it for a good 18months without problem.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Related image

That isn't scaled.. it IS an mth30. I had one in my bar til about a month ago and would play dance music on it with a pair of sx100 tops and it would pound nicely all night long. I have been contemplating over the past two years to just scale it up to a 15" for fun just to see how it sounds as I do love the design and the 12" version I already have is made of 15mm OSB as it was ment to just be a test bin. But have used it for a good 18months without problem.

No it's not.
How do you think a 274mm baffle is supposed to support a 12" (nominally 30cm, hence the name) driver?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 3:06pm
Ide av thought that going to 18" plus 25% size increase when put in a block of four or so would have yielded some results, just had a play on calculator that fane increased by 25% is pretty big, like 576mm high 1398mm wide and 1183mm front to back, horn lengths around 1500mm give or take, total horn mouth areas in the region of 3900mm per cab, 

SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:28am
id still be surprised if it plays as low as you'd like 1500mm horn length is still short for sub. Got the horn resp parameters for it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 8:37pm
No I'm not familiar with horn resp I've emailed you an updated drawing with bigger dimensions on if that helps, cheers  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12