Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL EON Performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IFixStuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL EON Performance
    Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:31pm
About six months ago I purchased a pair of JBL EON 615's for my band.  The specs seemed pretty good for the price and I have always had a soft spot for JBL.  Initially I was pleased with the performance but I think some of that was new toy syndrome.  It wasn't long though before I flet that if these units were pushed, they started to sound muddy.  I am using a Behringer Xair digital mixer on the front end, and no matter what I did, the results always seemed to be sub par.  I just replaced them with a pair of Electro Voice EKX-15P's, and the difference is stunning.  Apart from the huge increase in power, the clarity is excellent.  Some may be the use of wooden boxes instead of the lightweight very popular plastic boxes, I am not sure.
I will keep all informed as I use these more an more.

Cheers

Richard
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:14pm
Well you are comparing an 830 euro speaker with a 530 one. Are you sure it's not a high pass issue?

Considering the huge differencr in SPL between boxes (127 vs 134), it's safe to say a lot of the extra money will have gone into high grade (very high excursion, power capacity and good power compression performance) drivers. They would need to be! 134 from a 1x15 reflex top is a lot!

That will usually translate to improved sound quality for lots of reasons. Driver isn't being driven as hard in most circumstances (and only about 15-20% capacity for the same output level), plus higher capacity drivers tend to be built to a higher standard with more bells and whistles.

The reasoning (I suppose) goes if you're going to load a driver with a fat expensive neo magnet and 4 inch voice coil you may as well build it to a tight specification and give it a bunch of relatively less expensive extras and finishing processes to make the extra cost worth it.

Edit: Don't forget also that JBL is owned by Samsung now of all people. Cost cutting is probably being ramped up.

Edited by Hemisphere - 13 November 2017 at 1:33pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 5:05pm
Yeah JBL EONs are piss poor speakers, it's a JRX in  plastic box basically so no surprise that those EVs are a hugh upgrade.
IFixStuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IFixStuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 12:47pm
So last night, we had a practice with the new EV boxes.  Even at low volumes, they sound very rich and full.  And turning them up a little, no rattles, no loss in clarity, in one of them, the fan ran on slow, but the back plates did not feel warm.  At the moment, I have not touched the DSP, they are running with everything flat, as they came out of the box.  So far, I am very impressed.  Should have just done this a long time ago.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 3:22pm
I like JBL, spec a lot of their install stuff on projects, and doesn't let me down. Does what it says on the tin.

Just whacked 2 CBT J70 into a synagogue, and they did exactly what the dedicated EASE type prediction software said it would. Needed a bit of HF boost IMHO, but 14 odd silk domes let you do that. Put six into the Australian High Commission for their main room conference system, and again did exactly what they claimed. Same for most other "pro" stuff they sell, in my experience.

However. EON. Shite.

Just stick your ear to the HF (and for the love of god, do it at very low volume) and you can hear the awful nasty distortion coming from it. Any sort of power, and it gets worse.

EONs are not really part of their pro range. I consider them domestic, at best "consumer", and like the rest of their consumer ranges, it is the badge selling it.

I would rate pretty much any other cheap chinese box higher than EONs, and for EON money from other manufacturers, there are some really competent stuff available. Yammies, even QSC "K", etc.

Haven't heard those EVs, but if up there competing with the Yammies and K at that price point, they need to be good to sell.

DAS are doing some interesting powered plastic boxes, just for left field. Heard the budget Altea 415a, and more expensive 715a, '1x15"+HF' box, and had them loud, clean and nice sounding out of the box. Reckon the 712a, and 412A could be winners when UK stock arrives.

I have always preferred the "Voiceing" of a 12"+HF and separate sub, to a single 15"+HF, for disco dave duties, small rooms and cabs on sticks type events. Just my preference. For small band, I would go sub/1x12"+HF on pole rather than 1x15"+HF full range. Even though it is extra boxes to lug in, compact subs take up less footprint than the stands for the 1x15" FR box, and frees the 12" up to do a better job of vocals/mids.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
IFixStuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IFixStuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 12:48pm
After trying these EV's now for a few weeks, I am convinced I should have bought them in the first place when I bought my first PA.  Probably would have saved an awful lot of time and expense.  I am waiting on the parts to arrive to complete the repairs of the two plate amps for my EV SBA-760 subs.  There really doesn't appear to have been too much wrong with them.  A couple of switching transistors and a bridge rectifier.  Hopefully will have more news on this soon.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 12:55am
Yup Eons are shite. So bad that I'm sure they're not actually JBL products.
 Post Reply Post Reply