Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P Audio p 150/2226

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Group delay on the ROAR15 seems pretty decent, better than a reflex anyways and less ripple above 100Hz than many DIY tapped horns. You can easily EQ out the peak at 88-92Hz but on a lot of boxes that can translate to a perceived punch or thump that a lot of people like.

Yep, that's why the asian scene likes t18,s lol

@hemisphere. How do you mean I'm reading the SIM like....? Please elaborate. Ta
It's everything, not everythink!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:26pm
I mean if you saw that sort of ripple on an FLH plot, then your concerns about them honking and not having any sub in singles (or at least in singles outdoors) would be warranted, so from what you said it seems that you were 'reading' the simulation with the understanding the box would behave like an FLH.

Edited by Hemisphere - 15 November 2017 at 1:27pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:30pm
Out of my depth now. So if the SIM does not show the true behaviour of a tapped horn how do you come to a conclusion of its performance?   

I,m confused
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 1:48pm
The sim never shows you everything about the behaviour of a box. It's just a squiggly line and lots of squiggly lines look similar. I don't think you could guess the HD15 would honk by looking at it's SPL plot in Hornresp, but you know it will - Other bandpass horns have similar plots and don't honk so much.

If you really know what you're doing you could probably guess from looking at the input parameters and results, if a BPH will honk.

Tapped horns have a problem with the first big dip in response and they do need to be crossed some ways before that dip, but the big peak and especially the first small dip are almost always less severe in reality than in the simulation. In the measurements of the ROAR designs that I've seen, the first small dip hardly even seems to feature, the response just keeps rising before the big dip. 

I don't think Hornresp is optimal for simulating designs like the ROAR15. Some compromises have had to be made to model it at all.

Edited by Hemisphere - 15 November 2017 at 1:51pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:20pm
Reflex world so simple. Many thanks for your time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12