Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P Audio p 150/2226

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P Audio p 150/2226
    Posted: 13 November 2017 at 5:54pm
Well, just got 4 new for the price of 1.5 !

Want bass cab(s), what shall I build?   

Thinking 2x15 but ....
It's everything, not everythink!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 6:08pm
Should be good in a reflex. If you want to be adventurous you could try simming it in the new 'ROAR 15' design by Martinsson. Said to be forgiving on driver selection and a very easy build.

http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=03&y=17&entry=entry170302-172317

Edited by Hemisphere - 13 November 2017 at 6:10pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 6:32pm
Yeah saw them a while ago. Couldn't help thinking all those sims were honky though?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Yeah saw them a while ago. Couldn't help thinking all those sims were honky though?

Knock one up in and have a go? Wouldn't mind hearing an opinion on them
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:52pm
Ive seen that sort of plot before,  The horns get better in fours and then you need to be 20 m back, these I'm not sure of. Really don't want loud no sub cab like most of these end up in singles, and those are big too. Params are Ok for standard Cubo but I recon I'm falling into the reflex is boring trap.
 275l 2x15 me thinks
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 10:58pm
Weak motor (high Qts).
djk
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Weak motor (high Qts).

I suspect P.Audio have done one of their updates where they keep the same name for essentially a whole new driver.
The current specs give Qts of 0.33, which is not high enough to be a problem for many applications - certainly fine for reflex.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 9:03pm
Yeah, got it looking nice in 125l reflex, so four of them it is.

I also won (for fifteen quid) two of the Studiospares 2226 thingys, will be an interesting comparison China v Taiwan :)

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 11:33am
Hi Nick,
I have 4 x152Ltr cabinets here, when loaded the internal volume is about 136ltrs. At present they are loaded with Eminence  Kappa Pro-15a as I had them lying around. The cabinets are 13 laminate ply but NOT birch.

I quickly modelled your P-Audio's in a 136ltr box and they look quite good when the system is tuned to about 45Hz. Changing the tuning is fairly easy as the ports are 100mm drain pipe.

I actually built 10 of these cabs, 6 are loaded with Fane 18XBs (and have different port tuning) and the other 4 have the Kappas, My intension was to eventually load all 10 with Fane 18XB's and so the front baffle on the 4 15" are removable.

If you are interested PM me and we can talk. I'm open to sensible offers. If not they will be going on ebay soon as I rarely use the 15s and need the space .

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 11:41am
Pm sent
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

You're reading the sims like FLH or BLH. It's not that sort of bin at all.

More like a Cubo or tapped horn. Does 45Hz in singles. Doubt it honks. Some builds documented on DIYAudio. You're getting a good 4dB+ sensitivity gain over a reflex, and in a stack of 4 it'll be like having 8 reflex with half the amp power.

Not without it's drawbacks obviously. The p150 may be stretching it for compatibility (will run out of excursion fast for one thing), and the boxes are fairly big, and it's a gamble on a new approach, but the THAM series are well received and Martinsson reckons the ROAR are a step up from them (he does seem biased in favour of his own designs though, as you might expect).

Edited by Hemisphere - 15 November 2017 at 12:15pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:45pm
Group delay on the ROAR15 seems pretty decent, better than a reflex anyways and less ripple above 100Hz than many DIY tapped horns. You can easily EQ out the peak at 88-92Hz but on a lot of boxes that can translate to a perceived punch or thump that a lot of people like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>