Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo highlight series.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo highlight series.
    Posted: 13 November 2017 at 9:35pm
I am looking for info on the thl series boxes. Not something I have had much to do with or taken much notice of.

But, I won a pair of consecutive numbered thl818’s on the bay yesterday. If it was you who I pipped at the post, hahahaha oh well. There are no serious dents or impacts outside just paint removed from boxes rubbing as they do. Inside they are just as the day they were put together, never been opened, the screws are untouched. On top of that they kick like mules.

So this has my interest and will now look for some tops to go with them and then some more 818 or 828’s.

Any info received with interest.

Edited by midas - 13 November 2017 at 9:35pm
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 11:12pm
We used to have a very large THL system years ago that we used to put out on hire to mainly theatre based tours and some corporate work due to its quite wide dispersion pattern--We had stacks of THL828 bass with THL2 mid/hi packs on top and a few THL4 full range cabinets for various uses including sidefills and drum monitors.
THL2 boxes are also great for flying due to compact size and being quite light.
We eventually sold the rig and I probably regretted this for a couple of years as it really did sound very sweet due to having modern drivers inside including BMS 1" HF.
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 11:42pm
Thw THL818 are great kick bins.

The THL811 midtop or THL4 are very hard to find though. Ive been looking for a second pair of THL4 for the last 12 months.

There seems to be fair few THL2 about though.
I should think that the THL818 would also work well under floodlights flashlights.

Edited by Speaker Sol - 14 November 2017 at 3:44pm
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 9:23am
I am looking for a nice smallish system to put together.

Flash is out of the window....
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 3:44pm
Sorry I meant Floodlight. 
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:38pm
Ok slightly better. But still not cheap.

I will see when I have saved a bit.

What would you use as subs under the 18’s? Two more each side?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

What would you use as subs under the 18’s? Two more each side?

Seems there are a huge number of blown 18LS1809s out there, due to people using THL 818s/828s as subs.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 10:25pm
I'm running Trinty X subs. Under my THL4, crossed at 100hz to 190hz. The response rises above ~160Hz so crossed at 190Hz they are actually pretty flat to about ~220Hz.

They seem to have a pretty good response down to about 70Hz. So should work with most subs.

What size rig are you thinking of building?
And what sort of music styles?
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 6:13pm
Only smallish, one pair each of tops, bass and subs.

Music could be anything, but mostly house and hopefully some ska /two tone.
 Post Reply Post Reply