Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing grills without clamps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing grills without clamps
    Posted: 14 November 2017 at 5:45pm
Evening all. Anyone here have any neat solutions of how to fix standard round grill to driver without clamps? Tia
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 6:25pm
If it's steel you could fit some neodymium magnets into the driver (wedged into the bolt holes perhaps). I'm guessing by 'neat solution' you mean 'without damaging the driver in any way'. In the past I've just glued the grille on.

If you could accept some cosmetic damage to the driver you could drill holes in the cardboard/rubber ring on the front and glue cylinder magnets in there. If not, but you could accept some protrusions around the driver, you could mount magnets around the edge (deep cylinder magnets glued into a hole in the baffle)

If the grille diameter is even a hair greater than the driver it'll work fine. Might be tricky to align if not, but you could potentially extend the diameter of the grille with a ring of sheet metal.

Edit: You could also tie fishing line onto the grille holes and loop the line tight around the driver chassis and secure it before mounting the driver, provided you're able to reach the mounting holes through the grille. Other fishing line based solutions may be possible even if not. It's cheap, strong and for most intents and purposes invisible.

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 November 2017 at 6:34pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
ReubGold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReubGold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Evening all. Anyone here have any neat solutions of how to fix standard round grill to driver without clamps? Tia

Personally think round grills, are so chavvy.

If he turns me into a zombie, first person I'm coming after is you.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 7:55pm
rcf use a bolt m6 bolt for the driver that protrudes out and has a screw thread to bolt the grill to, i might have a few knocking around if you want some
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 3:09am
Originally posted by ReubGold ReubGold wrote:

Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Personally think round grills, are so chavvy.

LOL
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 3:15am
Originally posted by krazyneil krazyneil wrote:

rcf use a bolt m6 bolt for the driver that protrudes out and has a screw thread to bolt the grill to, i might have a few knocking around if you want some

What is that you say!? theres a bolt design for this ?
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 7:51am
I've used grills with a deeper edge, wrapped some gasket tape around the inside and they just push on like hifi ones. Bought them from Blue Aran. They're the ones with the extra fine mesh. The fine mesh makes them look a bit nicer than the standard square mesh ones which I agree, do look a bit cheap.
Don't test the champignon sound
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 8:17am
Hi fi grills have a ball ended pin and socket arrangement, can you find these anywhere? Would be a very neat solution.

Edited by concept-10 - 15 November 2017 at 9:04am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 4:18pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 4:54pm
That's them :)
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 5:21pm
The grille would need to be substantially larger than the driver for those to work though. Standard waffle grilles are almost exactly the same diameter as most drivers and have a rubber edge. The ones Meat mentions can't be big enough for these pins either, if it only took a bit of tape to give them a push fit.

Edit: Is this the droid you're looking for?

'Threaded hex spacer' / 'Threaded hex standoff' is the part name. rs-online has some of this sort of thing but not sure if it has them with long enough threads for mounting a driver. Alibaba has a greater selection.

Edited by Hemisphere - 15 November 2017 at 5:30pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply