Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget 18s in gsub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmholbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 4:28pm
Original Poster: Did you actually go ahead and pull the trigger on these in a build?  I'm curious the real  results of the Rockville subs for you?  I'm sure all the specs are overstated, but would hope the "nicer" ones land similar to a budget name driver. 

I've contemplated this build for an experiment and to have a stack to stick opposite a pair of budget Yamaha CW218v, but I likely will go the proper route and load my DIY cabinets with some RCF's and have at least 1 quality stack. 
The responses you have received on this forum are surely 100% correct. Half as many better drivers will give you as much/more/better output than a greater number of low quality drivers.  I am reasonably certain the reason you are focused with more drivers is air movement.  If he OP is hosting "House/Techno" events he is not really looking for anything beyond stacks of "kick" subs crowds feel in their chest a bit.  It isn't really about fidelity or volume necessarily.  It is the physics of having the sound waves generated from the full stack. Most the audio rental companies here accomplish this with budget boxes "upgrade" with low rider drivers so they blow out less frequently.

I've worked a number of venues with infinitely better subs in-house (BassMax, DAS, QSC etc) but a pair of better subs still misses that feel of 2 full stacks with this type of music. More bass heavy or sustaining music is a completely different story. 

However, the OP really needs to consider transportation of 4 dual 18s ... it is an extreme challenge for a part time hobby. A full size SUV typically can squeeze in a pair so you either need to have a van or trailer available for use.  You could also consider a more efficient amp (class D) amp as a way to put more power to your subs. With your generator you will usually be limited to ~13A on a circuit unless you have a fairly large one, just shy of what I imagine a residential outlet would be there. 

bmholbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmholbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:18pm

In the midst of my G-Sub build I discovered both of my Yamahas have some drivers experiencing cone issues.  I was planning to sell these cabinets when I made a 2nd pair of G Subs so didn't really want to invest anything else into them. 

Recalling this thread curiosity got the better of me and I ordered a pair of these things.  Arrived in a fairly light cardboard box with a branded printing on there similar to many made for business China goods I've sourced in a past life for my day job. This is the "better" driver that sells at $72. 

The Styrofoam on the inside is pretty loose and definitely not the most sound packaging for shipment but the driver is intact.

Printed product card with the same incomplete and peak value parameters discussed earlier.

Here is the driver next to one of the sick Yamaha (Eminence) drivers.  The material for the cone itself has a stiffer feel to it versus the Yamaha.  I haven't lined it up, but it looks like it may line up exactly. I tried to ask the baffle cut out size before ordering but the seller could not tell me and replied they didn't have any in their warehouse when I suggested they could just use a tape measure on one... 

Although it should be slightly lighter in weight the assembly feels almost identical in weight and appears similar in size. 

Yamaha

Rockville

Will update once I install them and see how they sounds.  Just pushing the cone in and out it seems to behave similarly in terms of travel to the (not blown) Yamaha driver.  I'm basically moving both good Yamaha drivers into one cabinet and sticking these cheap drivers in the other one. I will do a side by side to see how it behaves versus the stock drivers.  My expectations are pretty low going into this, but if the output and sound is close to the Eminence drivers I will be thrilled. 

I will be feeding this with an INUKE6000 DSP so will not be the most rigorous test from a power standpoint.   I know the limited resale value of this cabinet will be shot with the Rockville in it, but that helps justify my keeping it and sticking it in my game room at the house if it sounds decent.  Beer

Edited by bmholbro - 20 March 2018 at 8:20pm
Dreadnaught
Panther City Productions
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 10:13pm
Brilliant fun! Bring it on!

A subjective opinion of the drivers over a few genres vs another driver would be interesting!
bmholbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmholbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 10:25pm
I will compare it versus the Eminence at least. My RCF drivers are a little too big for the existing cut out in the CW218 cab so doubt I will do a side by side with those, but I will do a side by side against my Gsub when its ready.

Dreadnaught
Panther City Productions
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 7:40am
3" Magnet Ermm
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 9:28am
Yes shortrope, but if they make a half decent noise for 144 dollars then its a budget option for some people.

I won't be buying any, and i suspect neither will you but some might find they meet their needs. I know hemisphere has a real soft spot for them.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 9:51am

I'm just getting these ready in case they perform favourably against the original Eminence drivers.

On a not entirely unrelated note I just bought a 10 litre bucket of 'paint' from a local Chinese shop. I've never seen worse paint in my life! It says 'do not dilute' on the side. I don't think it could be diluted any further and still described as paint!

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 March 2018 at 9:55am
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 11:08am
Ah, the same stuff they sell in 25L tubs in most DIY stores then for about a tenner. Wouldn't paint someone else's house with it.

Does anyone who has bought some of the cheaper 18s fancy having a crack at measuring some of the TS? Sounds like an interesting project to me. But as the cheaper drivers no doubt are a little 'economical' on their TS or probably have significant variation between batches I'd guess that for best results you might want to measure them prior to sawdust.

I really like the idea of who can built the cheapest 18" reflex that could still meet a performance threshold, but everyone would have to send them to one place for independent testing and it'd never quite work out properly.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 12:49pm
I haven't read thru the whole thread so this may have been suggested already, If so, appologies but here's my ten pennuth.

Why build 2 x double 18 cabs with cheap drivers, when  2 single 18 reflex boxes with decent drivers which will give at least close to the same performance..... probably better.

The build cost will be halved, they'll be easier to transport, store and load in/out. And probably have a better resale value. Plus you can build 2 more when funds are available.

Cheap drivers? Big NO No for me.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 1:03pm
That was the whole point of most of the argument in the thread. Everyone had the same argument as you except the op. And it was kinda argued to death with the op getting banned.

The question now isn't what's better, but are they total shite or actually acceptable for a bare budget 144 dollars.

Unless you can you suggest a single driver for 144 dollars that would be better than two of these?

Edited by JonB67 - 21 March 2018 at 1:04pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

I really like the idea of who can built the cheapest 18" reflex that could still meet a performance threshold, but everyone would have to send them to one place for independent testing and it'd never quite work out properly.

It is a nice idea, yes, but as I'm sure you'll already realise, as soon as the cost of shipping them to someone to do measurements is factored in, bang goes the "cheapest" element.

If a group of people were serious, probably the best way to do it would be to have someone build a single box then everyone clubs together to pay for the drivers only to be sent to that one party to do the measurements. That way the delivery from retailer to tester takes the place of shipping fully built boxes around.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

That was the whole point of most of the argument in the thread. Everyone had the same argument as you except the op. And it was kinda argued to death with the op getting banned.

The question now isn't what's better, but are they total shite or actually acceptable for a bare budget 144 dollars.

Unless you can you suggest a single driver for 144 dollars that would be better than two of these?

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20sm118n-1.htm

I'm sure the guy can afford an extra $19.00
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>