Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget 18s in gsub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 12:37pm
how sad.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 7:18pm
Nice one JBLman.

I hope this frees some time and thoughts for creativity amongst the members that were trying to help him.
Don't test the champignon sound
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 5:36pm
Ok, last night we had a party again.. 2x18" MGR sub was working hard.  It really plays quite loud I have to say..!   I actually felt sometimes pretty uncomfortable because of the high levels of bass SPL, however the room was not big one. 5x8meters or so.. 
Anyway for home use, those mgr's will be more than enough. 

Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

Ok, last night we had a party again.. 2x18" MGR sub was working hard.  It really plays quite loud I have to say..!   I actually felt sometimes pretty uncomfortable because of the high levels of bass SPL, however the room was not big one. 5x8meters or so.. 

Could you link to a site that sells them please, cant find any info on them. Cheers
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

Could you link to a site that sells them please, cant find any info on them. Cheers

+1
It's everything, not everythink!
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 6:43pm
Quote a $59.95 18" driver physically cannot produce high fidelity sound
What property does it miss, that it can not produce good sound?

Just curious.

Best regards Johan
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 7:18pm
I'm sure it can produce good sound, but contextually it would be wrong to call it hifi imo.

Depends of course how you're defining 'high fidelity' - it's a deliberately vague and relative term used in marketing to distinguish low quality from high quality, but a 10 quid stereo might be described as hifi, and it is compared to a paging horn.

When I say hifi I mean compared to any woofer of 4x the cost. A few qualities it's likely to lack are good power compression performance, which is not only an SPL issue but also impacts sound quality (ts params also shift dramatically as the coil heats up), ts parameter consistency in general is likely to be low (not just between drivers but also dependent on behaviour - asymmetrical BL and Le curves ie. Distortion performance is unlikely to be good.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Quote a $59.95 18" driver physically cannot produce high fidelity sound
What property does it miss, that it can not produce good sound?

Just curious.

Best regards Johan

You already know the answer which is why you asked the question? In theory nothing. You could make a perfect replica of a top manufacturers drivers and sell them for whatever price you like.

But the world doesnt work like that does it? You have to assume that materials have lower specification, tolerances are weaker, qc is poorer and because the company that made it didn't necessarily r+d it they may not even understand the design work enough to copy it properly.

Balance of probability suggests that corners will have been cut and this will in all likelyhood have a knock on effect on sound reproduction.

Unless someone has two drivers they can a + b you're asking an impossible question. Whilst assumption isn't ideal, its all you have unless you buy some to compare.
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

+1

Sadly, there is no english language -option available I think :/

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 3:38pm
Those TS parameters don't half look familiar. Almost identical to the old Eminence 18".
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Those TS parameters don't half look familiar. Almost identical to the old Eminence 18".

Hmm, which Eminence model?   Maybe MGR has made a copy, or rebranded eminence :)

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:15pm
ME18-300 IIRC. I may be wrong though!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>