Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound Highlight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrolx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbosound Highlight
    Posted: 24 November 2017 at 12:02am
Hi all,
currently in the very early stages of looking at purchasing a Turbosound Highlight rig comprising;
2 x THL-2
2 x THL 828.2
2 x THL 818.

Would this rig work better with the 818s working as bass/kick cabs and the 828s running down lower, or would it work better with the 818s and 828s doing the same stuff.
The rig offered is only the cabs and processor, so looking at what amp channel count I'll need.
Either running the THL2s bi-amped, then the 818s in a bass/kick range, then the 828s down to sub, or the THL2s bi-amped, then the 818s and 828s together.

Cheers,
Ryan.
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 12:30am
The 828 and 818 are not able to do sub.

They make great kick bins. 65hz and up.

Probably better off with just the Thl-2, 818s and a pair of Subs.

Edited by Speaker Sol - 24 November 2017 at 12:31am
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 2:08am
Would this be the rig for sale in Sydney?
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
nitrolx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrolx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 3:40am
Yep.
I doubt I'll do anything about it but the thought did cross my mind.
For the odd job I do these days that would warrant it, I'm better off hiring.

Was more interested in how people who've had some experience with these boxes thought it would go together. It's an odd selection of boxes.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 1:54pm
Not an odd section in reality as a single 828 will not keep up with a single THL2 in bi-amp mode hence why an extra 818 has been added in order to keep up.
As above the 828s and 818s are not really sub bins but they will deliver a very good bottom end which most people are happy with--we never used any subs on our rigs and never had a single complaint about the bottom end in four years of use.
I would have a listen to the system if possible before discounting it as you will be pleasantly surprised at its performance.
nitrolx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrolx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 8:52pm
Thanks for your reply Robbo. That's good information.
I don't have a requirement for actual 'sub' capability most of the time. Most of my work is pub rock type cover bands.
No dance or club type gigs for me.

Would you run the 818 and 828 together? If they were stacked together. Same cross over, delay and eq? Or would they need different processing to play nice together?

What sort of capability would a single THL2/818/828 per side rig have outside for rock cover band jobs?
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 8:57pm
818 is exactly half an 828 . these sound pretty damn good , even on dance music , plenty of useable bass , certainly lower than the 65hz some suggested . id say 40hz and up and plenty of it , as robbo says you won't be disappointed .

midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 9:18pm
I tried mine and they do thump very nicely. They seem to be deceptively low.

But it was in a house not a big room.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 10:39pm
Yes--Use the 818s and 828s on the same settings, in fact if you have an amp that will run down to 2.66 ohms per side then this will run them fine--we used to use Powersoft Digam 7K like this and the bottom end was fine, in fact you will find that for live band kick drum the cabinets are superb.
You will probably find that you will need to attenuate the PD15" in the THL2s as they tend to be very sensitive so will need less driving and before buying just check the suspensions on the 15"s as well as they do tend to go a bit floppy after heavy use.
 Post Reply Post Reply