Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Odd pin out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd pin out
    Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:51pm
Hi guys

I've got to make up some odd leads to go from a beta91 to a sennheiser EW300 G3 belt pack. So it's the mini xlr (3pin lemo) to the sennheiser 3.5mm locking jack.

I would just wire it as normal with pin 2 hot and 3 cold. But the pins are labelled diffrently to standard XLRs.

Anyone done this before? Worst case cenario I will just make them up and trial error.

Real world experience please :)

Thanks in advance.

Jace
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 2:57pm
Labelled different how? Tbh never usually made a difference for me.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 3:07pm
Hi Sam,

Have you made up mini XLR - 3.5mm jumpers?

On a standard XLR the 2 pins flat against each other are 1&2 the mini ones they are different.

www.stage2sound.com
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:37am
Senny wireless beltpack mics are wired unbalanced because the beltpacks can be used for both mic and line inputs.
https://sennheiseruk.happyfox.com/kb/article/104-ew-plug-pin-configuration

Edited by Conanski - 07 December 2017 at 4:40am
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 10:13am
Bigger issue will be providing enough phantom voltage to power the Beta91, needs 11-52V, i.e. nominal 48V Phantom.

Beltpack with a couple of AA in will not be man enough? Electrets typically work off 5ishV? With 5V bias present, I doubt you would get enough voltage, and effectively it would "clip" early and be unable to cleanly reproduce wave form?

The mini 3 pin XLR drives the preamp stage, this stage may bias the electret capsule within to 5 V, but the preamp may need more volts?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Senny wireless beltpack mics are wired unbalanced because the beltpacks can be used for both mic and line inputs.
https://sennheiseruk.happyfox.com/kb/article/104-ew-plug-pin-configuration

Thanks mate, That worked a treat all going now :)

I assumed it would be a balanced in to the pack. Wired it to the tip and nulled out the cold to the ground and KA-Pang :)

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply