Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sub placement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

On paper the SP212 should easily outperform the MP415 due to its bigger CD and better crossover points.

OK I'm scratching my head on a few things here. Either I'm looking at the wrong pdf files or you are because what I'm seeing doesn't match what you are saying. I hadn't looked them up before and just ASSumed that the SP212 was a dual 12" box, that configuration would definitely give you more output and headroom through the mids but apparently it's just a single 12"+1" box and yes it has higher overall power handling than the MP415 but it's also 3dB less sensitive so it's max output is actually less than the MP. And the MP415 has(if the crossover is all original) a 1.5khz crossover while the SP212 has a 1.6khz crossover, that probably isn't enough of a difference to notice or matter much but it's definitely not lower either, and a lower crossover = better when it comes to mid/hi boxes but that also requires a larger CD and horn.
And elsewhere you have repeatedly stated that the MP415 compression driver is the BMS4540, from the JBL document I'm seeing the OEM driver in that box is the JBL 2406 so if you have BMS comps they aren't original.

Can you confirm/deny any of that?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 12:12am
The 2406 looks to be a BMS design.

djk
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

On paper the SP212 should easily outperform the MP415 due to its bigger CD and better crossover points.

OK I'm scratching my head on a few things here. Either I'm looking at the wrong pdf files or you are because what I'm seeing doesn't match what you are saying. I hadn't looked them up before and just ASSumed that the SP212 was a dual 12" box, that configuration would definitely give you more output and headroom through the mids but apparently it's just a single 12"+1" box and yes it has higher overall power handling than the MP415 but it's also 3dB less sensitive so it's max output is actually less than the MP. And the MP415 has(if the crossover is all original) a 1.5khz crossover while the SP212 has a 1.6khz crossover, that probably isn't enough of a difference to notice or matter much but it's definitely not lower either, and a lower crossover = better when it comes to mid/hi boxes but that also requires a larger CD and horn.
And elsewhere you have repeatedly stated that the MP415 compression driver is the BMS4540, from the JBL document I'm seeing the OEM driver in that box is the JBL 2406 so if you have BMS comps they aren't original.

Can you confirm/deny any of that?

Yep it is a 12" woofer with a 1" mouth comp, 1.75" voice coil.
The max output in DB was an oversight I admit, however if you look at the spec sheets for the drivers, the MP415 crosses over 400hz below the recommended crossover freq for the BMS4540 (1.9khz) whereas the SP212 crosses over well within the recommended x-over freq for both drivers, so it should be able to be run harder without distortion in the mid range? That was my thoughts...

I bought it also so I have a high power lightweight DJ monitor but will be interesting to compare it to the MP415 too as all I currently have for a DJ monitor is a borrowed active thomann 75watt thing which is not the best, and pretty massive.

With regards the JBL 2406 in the MP415, BMS 4540 diaphragms are sold from multiple sources as a direct replacement for the 2406 diaphragm. When I purchased the MP415s I didn't pull them apart to check what was in them when I collected them... once I got home and had a look it turned out that they had obvs been blown and replaced with unbranded ebay type (cheap) diaphragms.
On the advice of DJK and Lean Business as well as other sellers I got some BMS4540 diaphragms and they fitted fine and sounded much sweeter than the no-name replacements which the speakers came with.

After reading around a bit it appears the JBL 2406 is a re-branded BMS4540. The 2406 may even be made by BMS. At the very least the design is incredibly similar/ the same. JBL 2406 diaphragms are well expensive, like all JBL replacement parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345