Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sub placement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

So would you advise moving them 6ft away from the wall and moving the dj setup out from the corner along that left wall? What I'm getting from this comment is don't have the booth in a corner due to the double reflection (especially one near the speakers) and don't have the speakers tight against a vertical surface as it will cause the bass to be too ringing in a reverberant room.

Yes. Bear in mind every room is reverberant. What one has in the room determines how much of reverberation is reduced. Once you are in a high reverberant room, you want your speakers away from boundaries that will enhance the reverberation.   

However I thought that a gap of 6ft between subs and wall would cause a delayed reflection which could cause cancellation problems?

Where would you get cancellation if you are playing one column? The sound is emitting from one direction and bouncing about in the room.  

On your second comment, I agree that lack of definition is inevitable in a room like this though I was unable to convince one of the promoters of this. The other promoter seemed overjoyed with the sound.

The definition can be achieved by using multiple columns and focusing more on mid range and tops and less on bass. Think of the Tube. The facility consists of multiple speakers arranged to achieve intelligence despite its enormous size. This allows you to get a better understanding on what is being announced at any location.

On the top to sub balance issue I disagree with you as I have a DSP and had enormous gain reductions on the sub output bands to keep the sound more balanced. Myself and the promoters constantly monitored this. Essentially I was only using one pair of the large subwoofers and not even running that pair near their maximum.

I was asked to turn the tops Down on several occasions, and the JBL MP415 tops with their BMS4540 1.5" diaphragms can hardly be considered a harsh compression driver.

At no point were vocals etc overpowered by the bass.

I fully expected the tops to not remotely be able to keep up but they too were running with significant gain reductions all night though they were running harder than the subs (which were basically idling).

This reinforces what I said…

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

If you only carried one column, the bass is bouncing about the entire room. You should of have at least two columns (One on opposite sides of the room) two reduce blasting a single column in order to cover a large reverb-rant room.

The above is why some requested you to reduce some of the high frequencies. For your compression drivers are piercing their ears with the bass following after. Where is your midrange?  If you have a good midrange section, you would not have found yourself reducing the compression horns and bass bins just to get some intelligence from the midrange.

This is why your setup offers the sound of a start up DJ system. The more seasoned DJs that focus on large rooms know the importance of midrange.

I am really not sure what the problem is with the boxes in relation to the fire exit?!

I am aware of the regulations and often work to them in my place of work and the requirement is that there is no obstruction to the door opening fully (these doors open outwards so that could not be an issue) or to the width of the fire exit as determined by the width of the door frame.

Have you ever found your self around people that are in a state of panic? Dare I say, 80% of those that find themselves in chaos are the most idiotic people under the given conditions. Their emotions gets the best of them and they blame every and anything that prevents them from getting away from such turmoil.  You cannot rationalise them under the given circumstances.

It is better being safe than sorry and keep your boxes away from the fire exit. If you are hearing sound men mentioning your boxes are too close to the Fire Exit, take heed to our advise.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 06 December 2017 at 2:30pm
Elliot Thompson
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 2:36pm
Agreed about the fire exit. Toppling stacks can occur at times like that (20 people jostling around the doors ie). One fallen mid-top in the way of the door is a major trip hazard, and one fallen person is an even bigger trip hazard etc. 100 people in a hall might seem low risk but who knows whether some idiot left a big gas cylinder laying around somewhere or some similar unexpected but visually dramatic and terrifying event that could have everyone running blindly for their lives at a moments notice.

Edited by Hemisphere - 06 December 2017 at 2:39pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Agreed about the fire exit. Toppling stacks can occur at times like that. One fallen mid-top in the way of the door is a major trip hazard, and one fallen person is an even bigger trip hazard etc. 100 people in a hall might seem low risk but who knows whether some idiot left a big gas cylinder laying around somewhere or some similar unexpected but visually dramatic and terrifying event that could have everyone running blindly for their lives at a moments notice.

There was a ratchet strap around the whole lot during the event (you can see it under the cabs on the floor) I tested it and it was solid enough for the entire column to come down rather than one speaker at a time. At a couple of hundred kilos this was never going to happen.

I appreciate safe is better than sorry but from the point of view of regulations I was absolutely fine at this event- no obstruction to the escape at all.

If this is not the case then I guess I should request that the University I work in overhaul their regs, which are approved by HSE because exactly the same scenarios happen at multiple fire exits during the yearly art exhibition and the health and safety compliance officer has always approved it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 3:28pm

The definition can be achieved by using multiple columns and focusing more on mid range and tops and less on bass. Think of the Tube. The facility consists of multiple speakers arranged to achieve intelligence despite its enormous size. This allows you to get a better understanding on what is being announced at any location.

On the top to sub balance issue I disagree with you as I have a DSP and had enormous gain reductions on the sub output bands to keep the sound more balanced. Myself and the promoters constantly monitored this. Essentially I was only using one pair of the large subwoofers and not even running that pair near their maximum.

I was asked to turn the tops Down on several occasions, and the JBL MP415 tops with their BMS4540 1.5" diaphragms can hardly be considered a harsh compression driver.

At no point were vocals etc overpowered by the bass.

I fully expected the tops to not remotely be able to keep up but they too were running with significant gain reductions all night though they were running harder than the subs (which were basically idling).

This reinforces what I said…

If you only carried one column, the bass is bouncing about the entire room. You should of have at least two columns (One on opposite sides of the room) two reduce blasting a single column in order to cover a large reverb-rant room.

The above is why some requested you to reduce some of the high frequencies. For your compression drivers are piercing their ears with the bass following after. Where is your midrange?  If you have a good midrange section, you would not have found yourself reducing the compression horns and bass bins just to get some intelligence from the midrange.

This is why your setup offers the sound of a start up DJ system. The more seasoned DJs that focus on large rooms know the importance of midrange.

Multiple columns is what I will use from now on, thanks for the tips on that.

There was a reggae sound system guy there who has run reggae festivals as well as a guy whos spent time at the Bristol sound system scene and both were enjoying the sound and kept asking me to turn the bass up as he "couldn't feel his eyeballs rattling enough". I must assume he is wrong, along with the majority of people who were loving the sound. Do you not think this comes down to a matter of opinion to some degree?
Some people seem to like getting rattled by sub bass more than picking out every nuance in the mid range. A minority of people with the least experience of sound systems complained about the sound.
Overall I took this as a positive comment on the sound, naturally.

Is there a specific problem then with the JBL MP415 speakers that causes the compression driver to massively overpower the midrange driver even when they are not being used to full capacity?
I was not aware of this and would have thought that the internal crossover should ensure that, when used within their specs that the sound should be balanced. If this is so then would you recommend another pair of 12" mid range drivers to patch the hole in the MP415 response?

I'm not sure what your idea of a "starter" DJ setup is but where I'm from that entails a pair of JBL JRX tops and no subs, being ragged to screaming with a clipped mixer. If you're lucky there might be a rattling ported subwoofer or two. Likewise the local nightclubs are not much better- screaming full range speakers and only one or two subwoofers. I'm happy to say that even with flat EQ, the JBL Mpro top half sounds far better than the majority of what I hear elsewhere at events or clubs and the 18sound loaded cubo subs provide warm trouser flapping sub bass, which is why people running such events as this hire me :)

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 3:43pm
Quote I was asked to turn the tops Down on several occasions, and the JBL MP415 tops with their BMS4540 1.5" diaphragms can hardly be considered a harsh compression driver
Did you find the compression driver to be too loud/ harsh during any part of the night?

I ask, because JBL is known for quite an aggressive sound, especially in their lower range models. If people complain about ringing ears afterwards, it's usually the mid/highs. IIRC, the crossover in the tops is set at 1.5 kHz, while the BMS is more of a 2 kHz and up driver. Imo an 1.5" diaphragm is quite small unless it's coupled with a 10" or 8" driver (crossed above 2 kHz). Having it take care of 1500 - 2000 Hz (at high output) is a setup for lot's of added distortion, right in the most sensitive area of the human hearing.

Interesting fact: By turning up the bass (sustained sounds that last longer then 50 ms), the human body's natural hearing protection is activated, protecting against all sound. Short transients (below 50 ms), like gun shots or sharp high frequency sounds, on their own are to fast to trigger this protection.

Johan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Quote I was asked to turn the tops Down on several occasions, and the JBL MP415 tops with their BMS4540 1.5" diaphragms can hardly be considered a harsh compression driver
Did you find the compression driver to be too loud/ harsh during any part of the night?

I ask, because JBL is known for quite an aggressive sound, especially in their lower range models. If people complain about ringing ears afterwards, it's usually the mid/highs. IIRC, the crossover in the tops is set at 1.5 kHz, while the BMS is more of a 2 kHz and up driver. Imo an 1.5" diaphragm is quite small unless it's coupled with a 10" or 8" driver (crossed above 2 kHz). Having it take care of 1500 - 2000 Hz (at high output) is a setup for lot's of added distortion, right in the most sensitive area of the human hearing.

Interesting fact: By turning up the bass (sustained sounds that last longer then 50 ms), the human body's natural hearing protection is activated, protecting against all sound. Short transients (below 50 ms), like gun shots or sharp high frequency sounds, on their own are to fast to trigger this protection.

Johan

I guess it's all relative as I was saying to Eliot. I'm sure my setup is harsh and boomy and quite poor compared to some, but compared to what I'm used to in my area it is very good. I spent around £4,000 on what you see in the picture including amps , processing and accessories and built the cubos myself. I wish the local clubs and many of the local sound hire people would do similar! There are a few who are good, but the majority sound worse than me and very few can provide enough sub to play genres like jungle where up to 90% of the information can be in the sub region.

I find the JBL MP415 tops to be quite sweet sounding and smooth even when loud though I agree on noticing that they are not using the BMS comps to their best. The tops were never making my ears ring but were loud a few times so I just turned them down a bit. The bass was tickling my ears at times which I've experienced lots of times with very high end systems (F1 especially).

My previous tops were JBL SF25 and I would describe those as low end JBL, even so I noticed that with a truck load of bass they weren't too offensive so it's interesting that you mention this reflex where heavy bass triggers protection. maybe that's why a pair of crap tops sound way better with a nice chunk of sub.

I thought the JBL MP400 series were mor upper mid range in terms of quality etc, they were certainly very expensive when they were new and some people prefer them over the SRX.
For example the MP418 subs use the JBL2241 which is undoubtedly a high end JBL sub driver.
JBL 2406/ BMS 4540 has got to be a huge upgrade over the JBL 2412 as used in the MP200 series, JRX etc.

Edited by charlysays - 06 December 2017 at 4:44pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 5:07pm

There was a reggae sound system guy there who has run reggae festivals as well as a guy whos spent time at the Bristol sound system scene and both were enjoying the sound and kept asking me to turn the bass up as he "couldn't feel his eyeballs rattling enough". I must assume he is wrong, along with the majority of people who were loving the sound. Do you not think this comes down to a matter of opinion to some degree?
Some people seem to like getting rattled by sub bass more than picking out every nuance in the mid range. A minority of people with the least experience of sound systems complained about the sound.
Overall I took this as a positive comment on the sound, naturally.

Is there a specific problem then with the JBL MP415 speakers that causes the compression driver to massively overpower the midrange driver even when they are not being used to full capacity?
I was not aware of this and would have thought that the internal crossover should ensure that, when used within their specs that the sound should be balanced. If this is so then would you recommend another pair of 12" mid range drivers to patch the hole in the MP415 response?

I'm not sure what your idea of a "starter" DJ setup is but where I'm from that entails a pair of JBL JRX tops and no subs, being ragged to screaming with a clipped mixer. If you're lucky there might be a rattling ported subwoofer or two. Likewise the local nightclubs are not much better- screaming full range speakers and only one or two subwoofers. I'm happy to say that even with flat EQ, the JBL Mpro top half sounds far better than the majority of what I hear elsewhere at events or clubs and the 18sound loaded cubo subs provide warm trouser flapping sub bass, which is why people running such events as this hire me :)

There are some guys that are only concerned with bass. They do not care about anything else. Once they hear a good amount of tsk, tsk, following the bass line they are happy. I might add what you may consider not enough for bass can be more than enough for others when they are listening to the overall sound quality of the sound system.

Bass is like drinking Rum. The more you indulge yourself to it the more immune you become of it. One must keep that in mind whenever you hear requests of reducing the bass.

Your JBL Speaker System is a Two-way configuration. Like most Two-way full range loudspeakers, midrange is not the priority. Two-way full range loudspeakers focus on bass and treble. They work well for Weddings and Corporate events where very loud is not a priority. However, for Raves, you need to have a dedicated midrange driver. This is why the more expensive full range loudspeaker systems always offer an extra driver or two solely for midrange.

Your loudspeaker setup looks as if you stepping up from smaller events to larger events in which, you are adding larger bass bins but have not upgraded the tops. The JBL two-way full range will perform well with the JBL subs below. Such a setup is common with many Wedding/Corporate DJs in the States with an additional pole mount to elevate the tops.

However once you add an additional four Cubos in the equation, those JBL two-way speakers will have great difficulty offering the same quality in terms of midrange at high sound pressure levels.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 06 December 2017 at 5:09pm
Elliot Thompson
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 5:19pm
Another thought occurs with regards to sub placement and the complaints of mudiness/too much sub. Since they were so far from any corner, you will have been getting a corner loading effect limited to the lowest frequencies and possibly only apparent in some parts of the room. Cubos benefit a lot from corner loading so that could be like 6dB of boost in sub on an already sub heavy track. What may have looked like appropriate eq settings could still have been several db off, and it can be hard to play it by ear at those frequencies.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Another thought occurs with regards to sub placement and the complaints of mudiness/too much sub. Since they were so far from any corner, you will have been getting a corner loading effect limited to the lowest frequencies and possibly only apparent in some parts of the room. Cubos benefit a lot from corner loading so that could be like 6dB of boost in sub on an already sub heavy track. What may have looked like appropriate eq settings could still have been several db off, and it can be hard to play it by ear at those frequencies.

I see... so we sort of come back again to left right stacks. I'm getting some good rules of thumb for next time now. So a stack left and right in the corners pointing at an angle towards the dancefloor centre around 6ft or more from the walls.

There was a problem with that re different tracks... they were playing stuff from all eras of dub so some of it sounded awful and some tracks sounded crisp and punchy. I guess this is where DJ EQ skill comes in to a degree. I remember the sub in Original Nuttah by Shy FX being particularly drilling but that is probably around 60-70hz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 6:22pm

There are some guys that are only concerned with bass. They do not care about anything else. Once they hear a good amount of tsk, tsk, following the bass line they are happy. I might add what you may consider not enough for bass can be more than enough for others when they are listening to the overall sound quality of the sound system.

Bass is like drinking Rum. The more you indulge yourself to it the more immune you become of it. One must keep that in mind whenever you hear requests of reducing the bass.

Your JBL Speaker System is a Two-way configuration. Like most Two-way full range loudspeakers, midrange is not the priority. Two-way full range loudspeakers focus on bass and treble. They work well for Weddings and Corporate events where very loud is not a priority. However, for Raves, you need to have a dedicated midrange driver. This is why the more expensive full range loudspeaker systems always offer an extra driver or two solely for midrange.

Your loudspeaker setup looks as if you stepping up from smaller events to larger events in which, you are adding larger bass bins but have not upgraded the tops. The JBL two-way full range will perform well with the JBL subs below. Such a setup is common with many Wedding/Corporate DJs in the States with an additional pole mount to elevate the tops.

However once you add an additional four Cubos in the equation, those JBL two-way speakers will have great difficulty offering the same quality in terms of midrange at high sound pressure levels.

Best Regards,

That guy is me to a degree, having been starved of it for so long the first thing I ever got was four JBL P744 soundpower subs.

As I said though if the promoter asks me to turn it down I do. I also ask people in the crowd at random what they think of the sound and try to cater to that.

I can see what you mean with regards my tops... however I find the bass from the MP418 subs wholly disappointing on their own and when their voice coil formers are about to start hitting the backplate I'm still not hearing and feeling the bass line in my oldschool jungle tune. Whereas by then the tops are far too loud if both the tops and subs are being fed their AES rating... so I believe for certain genres you have to have many more subwoofers.
If 90% of the music is in the sub region, you need a sub heavy sound system.

The problem I have is the variety of events I do. Sometimes I just need the two tops and one sub for a small funk night in a pub. That is when the JBL subs are fine. As soon as you want to play bass culture music they are just not enough. Other times I do things like this event in question. Due to not wanting to do it all the time I can't afford to have a set of tweeters and mid range bins sitting around getting used a few times a year.

What would be an adequate solution to this? Another pair of MP415s or a pair of 12" woofers in separate boxes to add in when needed? Sealed boxes?
I guess another pair would match up with the four cubos much better? And I could use the extra pair for monitors when needed.

Edited by charlysays - 06 December 2017 at 6:23pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 8:53pm

There are many Speakerplans members that fall into your category. The most we do is have a variety of tops at our disposal. This allows us to adapt according to the event we are hired for.

Since you are not fixed to one type of music it would be wise to have a variety as well. It also allows you to get more events as you are more versatile to adapt to wider market than being fixed to one type of musical style.

If you are content with the Cubos, you can just build more and carry one or twenty pending on the event. Bass is the easiest to accomplish whereas, tops will require more investigation to determine which ones will fit the variety of events you are hired for.

When you are hired for those Dogs On Acid events, it may be best using Horn-Loaded tops (Possibly Martin Black line H3+) and, for those larger posh events when you need a more smoother response, you can tote something in the range of JBL SRX 835 since you are fond of JBL. For those really small events you have your current JBLs.

Of course, if you rather build your own customised tops, you will have more leeway to design it specifically for your requirements.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 10:03pm

There are many Speakerplans members that fall into your category. The most we do is have a variety of tops at our disposal. This allows us to adapt according to the event we are hired for.

Since you are not fixed to one type of music it would be wise to have a variety as well. It also allows you to get more events as you are more versatile to adapt to wider market than being fixed to one type of musical style.

If you are content with the Cubos, you can just build more and carry one or twenty pending on the event. Bass is the easiest to accomplish whereas, tops will require more investigation to determine which ones will fit the variety of events you are hired for.

When you are hired for those Dogs On Acid events, it may be best using Horn-Loaded tops (Possibly Martin Black line H3+) and, for those larger posh events when you need a more smoother response, you can tote something in the range of JBL SRX 835 since you are fond of JBL. For those really small events you have your current JBLs.

Of course, if you rather build your own customised tops, you will have more leeway to design it specifically for your requirements.

Best Regards,

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm sure I can't justify any more gear tbh, let alone any more bass! It's a paying hobby for me, no more. As it is I've been questioning how much money I have invested in this setup, but I like low sub bass and few other people can cater for it like my bass section so I'll keep it going.

This gig was the first time in 3 years that I've used both pairs of cubos together and the entire building was rattling with them not evening running flat out- I'd be mad to get any more bass. As it is I have the P744s sitting unused for a year at a time so those need to go- I prefer the sound of the MP418 and they are lighter.

Likewise the tops were running at around 65% at this night- I was expecting to be spanking them.
Realistically there is no market for events for more than 100-200 people, the JBL MP415s should be up to the job for that with 130db max spl. The clientele will just have to lump it if they want belly rattling bass with regards the loss of mid range- most of them seem very happy with it as it stands.

The main criticism was from the other promoter who said the bass was muddy and this thread has helped me find solutions to that :) He did not complain about the mid or tops.

I found this re dance music systems from rog mogale:

"Dance Playback EQ
In my opinion a system that is used for dance music should not have a flat response. I've been to many of the best sounding dance clubs around the world and measured the systems response and all of them have similar responses. All the systems had a rising response below 200Hz, with frequencies below 100Hz some 10dB up from levels above 200Hz. There was also a dip in the midrange from 2 - 4kHz and a rising response from 8kHz. I always setup dance systems this way and have a reference dance system curve to follow when using an RTA to EQ the system. I guarantee that if you setup a system to be perfectly flat with an RTA and them play dance music though it at very high levels you will get people complaining it doesn't sound right. There will be no bass and the midrange 2 - 4kHz will slice your head off.
Below is the ISO 226:2003 equal-loudness contour. Its upper most plots look almost identical to all the good sounding dance club systems I have measured.
http://voidacoustics.com/support/item/download/80_3a0811dd6df122df1471ea5bceb7c75a.html"

Edited by charlysays - 06 December 2017 at 10:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>