Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sub placement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

When the SPL increases, we (Humans) become more conscientious on the midrange frequencies. The intelligence of the music is lost when the Bass and Treble overrides the Midrange at high sound pressure levels. The above method is known as the smiley face equalisation method. Using such a method will also be problematic for Dance Music that offers any means of vocals and/or percussion.

Larger sound systems use Double Eighteen Inch Reflex Subs. Only small sound systems will focus on Single Eighteen Inch Reflex Subs. The logic behind each method is based on transport when using quantity.

Larger sounds systems will use two Double Eighteens for one top minimum. So it is not surprising you are not getting enough bass using, three Single Eighteen Reflex bins to two Full-range tops.

You need understand how the frequencies work on the type of music you are reinforcing from a dB standpoint. I would suggest finding someone reinforcing the same type of music as yourself, utilising a larger sound system than yours, in order to get a better understanding what is needed to get the job done properly while, achieving the fidelity you are seeking.

When a loudspeaker system offers a frequency response of shall we say 40 Hz – 100 Hz (-10 dB @ 40Hz) it means, you need 10 decibels of amplitude @ 40 Hz to equate the same amount of SPL @ 100 Hz (100 Hz being 0 dB).

The above passage means if you are feeding the loudspeaker system 1000 watts @ 100 Hz, you are going to require 10,000 watts @ 40 Hz to achieve the same SPL.

Those who study the fundamentals on how everything works together as a team, usually achieve the frequency response, the sound pressure level in addition to, the fidelity they are seeking. Those who find themselves constantly damaging speakers, living off of heavy equalisation and, still looking for that special magic black box in order to achieve great Fidelity, tend to become perplexed on why they are not achieving a sound which is pleasing to the ear.

Best Regards,

I see what you're saying, however it doesn't explain why MP415 tops will have trouble with midrange running at moderate SPL (their response graph looks pretty smooth from 90hz up to 18khz) so much so that you advocate that I only run one pair of JBL reflex subs with these tops, like a typical disco setup.

As I mentioned in a previous reply...

Your JBL Speaker System is a Two-way configuration. Like most Two-way full range loudspeakers, midrange is not the priority. Two-way full range loudspeakers focus on bass and treble. They work well for Weddings and Corporate events where very loud is not a priority. However, for Raves, you need to have a dedicated midrange driver. This is why the more expensive full range loudspeaker systems always offer an extra driver or two solely for midrange.

You are lacking midrange. This precisly why I said...

Those who fall into the above category usually tend to become perplexed on why they are not achieving a sound which is pleasing to the ear while others are not facing the same issues. The answer is quite obvious... focusing only on one thing and disregarding everything else.

Once I start quoting myself, we have come full circle.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 6:26pm

When the SPL increases, we (Humans) become more conscientious on the midrange frequencies. The intelligence of the music is lost when the Bass and Treble overrides the Midrange at high sound pressure levels. The above method is known as the smiley face equalisation method. Using such a method will also be problematic for Dance Music that offers any means of vocals and/or percussion.

Larger sound systems use Double Eighteen Inch Reflex Subs. Only small sound systems will focus on Single Eighteen Inch Reflex Subs. The logic behind each method is based on transport when using quantity.

Larger sounds systems will use two Double Eighteens for one top minimum. So it is not surprising you are not getting enough bass using, three Single Eighteen Reflex bins to two Full-range tops.

You need understand how the frequencies work on the type of music you are reinforcing from a dB standpoint. I would suggest finding someone reinforcing the same type of music as yourself, utilising a larger sound system than yours, in order to get a better understanding what is needed to get the job done properly while, achieving the fidelity you are seeking.

When a loudspeaker system offers a frequency response of shall we say 40 Hz – 100 Hz (-10 dB @ 40Hz) it means, you need 10 decibels of amplitude @ 40 Hz to equate the same amount of SPL @ 100 Hz (100 Hz being 0 dB).

The above passage means if you are feeding the loudspeaker system 1000 watts @ 100 Hz, you are going to require 10,000 watts @ 40 Hz to achieve the same SPL.

Those who study the fundamentals on how everything works together as a team, usually achieve the frequency response, the sound pressure level in addition to, the fidelity they are seeking. Those who find themselves constantly damaging speakers, living off of heavy equalisation and, still looking for that special magic black box in order to achieve great Fidelity, tend to become perplexed on why they are not achieving a sound which is pleasing to the ear.

Best Regards,

I see what you're saying, however it doesn't explain why MP415 tops will have trouble with midrange running at moderate SPL (their response graph looks pretty smooth from 90hz up to 18khz) so much so that you advocate that I only run one pair of JBL reflex subs with these tops, like a typical disco setup.

As I mentioned in a previous reply...

Your JBL Speaker System is a Two-way configuration. Like most Two-way full range loudspeakers, midrange is not the priority. Two-way full range loudspeakers focus on bass and treble. They work well for Weddings and Corporate events where very loud is not a priority. However, for Raves, you need to have a dedicated midrange driver. This is why the more expensive full range loudspeaker systems always offer an extra driver or two solely for midrange.

You are lacking midrange. This precisly why I said...

Those who fall into the above category usually tend to become perplexed on why they are not achieving a sound which is pleasing to the ear while others are not facing the same issues. The answer is quite obvious... focusing only on one thing and disregarding everything else.

Once I start quoting myself, we have come full circle.

Best Regards,

I just looked at the response plot of the MP415 and it is 57hz - 20khz +-3db. I'm led to believe that 3db is the smallest change in sound pressure level which most people can perceive, so the speaker apparently has a fairly flat response. If the dips and peaks within this +-3db threshold are a cause for concern, that is within the realms of some mild EQ to cut the peaks.

Please enlighten me on how JBL have made a mistake in the response plot and show me that the speaker does have a very noticeable hole in the mid range response. It sounds fine to me and the majority of others.

If we are to emulate the best sounding dance music systems in the world, we want a dip in mid range system response at 2-4khz, a rising response from 8khz and +10db below 100hz.

Please explain how adding more midrange speakers will aid the desired dip in mid range system response and how running one pair of MP418 subs as you advocate will allow +10db below 100hz, assuming we use the MP415 speakers safely within their specification as I do (-3db at most).

As I asked before, I cannot justify a pair of martin blackine H3s to sit in a shed and be used once a year and would be interested to know why adding another pair of two way speakers wouldn't result in a useful increase in midrange headroom/output.

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 6:47pm
I think there are some crossed wires here - it seems like you're not actually taking in any of what Elliott is saying beyond "your midrange won't be good enough", which may or may not be correct, depends how much you care about intelligibility of the midrange, and how satisfied you are with it already. I don't think he said at any point that it won't be loud enough.

If it's good enough for you now then maybe it'll be good enough with more of the same, but the louder the system gets, the worse the midrange quality will seem to be, simply because it's louder, and that's where the ear is most sensitive.

Let's say you have some 2nd harmonic distortion at -20dB, well if your mids are playing 100dB that 2nd harmonic distortion will be 80dB and that's really not going to be so bothersome, but if they're playing 125dB then your distortion is raised to 105dB, etc, and that may creep into the realms of unacceptability for some people. Generally speaking, and especially with budget boxes, two way designs have more distortion in the midrange to begin with, so it's something to think about, but like I said, if midrange intelligibility really doesn't even register as a concern for you right now, another 6dB from doubling up your midtops probably won't be an issue.

Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 6:52pm

The trade off here with a two way vs 3 way speaker actually appears to be more in terms of powerhanding and weight/size rather than whether or not they can get close to a flat response through the mid range. I have been looking at the Martin Blackline range and all their smaller full range speakers are two way as well, so I guess they too must be poor quality and incapable of adequate midrange response lol.
Assuming these smaller two way speakers achieve the response their manufacturers claim I should surely be able to use multiple pairs of them to achieve more mid range headroom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I think there are some crossed wires here - it seems like you're not actually taking in any of what Elliott is saying beyond "your midrange won't be good enough", which may or may not be correct, depends how much you care about intelligibility of the midrange, and how satisfied you are with it already. I don't think he said at any point that it won't be loud enough.

If it's good enough for you now then maybe it'll be good enough with more of the same, but the louder the system gets, the worse the midrange quality will seem to be, simply because it's louder, and that's where the ear is most sensitive.

Let's say you have some 2nd harmonic distortion at -20dB, well if your mids are playing 100dB that 2nd harmonic distortion will be 80dB and that's really not going to be so bothersome, but if they're playing 125dB then your distortion is raised to 105dB, etc, and that may creep into the realms of unacceptability for some people. Generally speaking, and especially with budget boxes, two way designs have more distortion in the midrange to begin with, so it's something to think about, but like I said, if midrange intelligibility really doesn't even register as a concern for you right now, another 6dB from doubling up your midtops probably won't be an issue.

Thanks for the post hemisphere, finally getting some clarity.
I fully acknowledge the mid range clarity issue point which elliot is making (providing it's not harsh it doesn't offend me anywhere near as much as not having trouser flapping bass, same goes for most ravers) but to suggest that using these MP415 tops with a couple of MP418 subs (or any number of MP418 subs up to six for that matter- i tried it) will work "very well" when playing jungle and dub, yet not be satisfactory when used with some cubo subs which will actually play low enough to reproduce the bass in jungle seems crazy and goes against all the results of the open air field testing I've done.

If the JBL tops are running at say 120db (typically don't run them any harder than -6db subtracted off their AES as I stated before) the jungle music is going to sound far better with the pleasing sub 50hz notes coming across strong and trouser flapping than dying off like a fart in the wind like they do with the small highly tuned JBL subs.

I and the majority of customers/ punters think the MP415s sound great- coming from using JBL JRX/ Soundfactor etc. Before they were discontinued they retailed at around £600 each- is that really a budget speaker? Seems a similar price point as two way martin blacklines. Considering that you can't even buy a pair of the MP415 (BMS 4540) comps for the price of a pair of new JRX... Seems a mid range speaker to me but IDK. If people think they're in the same ball park as JBL JRX I might get another pair cheap :)

Great explanation on the distortion... and thanks for finally clarifying that if I double up the tops I already have I get a worthwhile increase in SPL without increasing the proportion of the sound which is occupied by distortion, though with more and more pairs added I understand that the distortion may become unacceptable. I thought this was the case ( i know it is with subs from experience but wasn't sure re tops) but elliot wouldn't tell me lol, only to buy martin H3+ which are simply not feasible.

So is this mid range mud inevitable with all two way systems even when they're not run hard or would better speakers like the martin two ways be better in this respect? It doesn't bother me at the moment especially when I consider the extra unit weight/ cost/ depreciation associated with a pair of big 3 way speakers but my ear may become more discerning in time.

Edited by charlysays - 01 January 2018 at 8:06pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 8:52pm

Exactly.

This is why I said...

Charlysays has to literally hear a difference through a sound system other than his to get a better understanding for, explaining it to him is not getting the message across.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 8:54pm
Not inevitable with 2 ways. Depends on loads of factors like crossover point to horn, quality of drivers used, how low you run the crossover to sub, music program (lots of hard kick harmonics in the midbass won't be good ie), and obviously how hard you drive them.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 12:57am

I don't think he said at any point that it won't be loud enough.

You also fall into the typical just getting started DJ with lots of bass and no tops to keep up to balance out the overall sound.

He does seem to have said that they just wouldn't be loud enough regardless on page 1 as quoted above. I tried to explain that there were massive gain reductions on both the DSP (sometimes as much as -15db on the cubo subs) and even on the amps- as the DSP can only manage a mere reduction of -15db on each band so I occasionally resorted to turning the gains down on the amps too at the request of the promoter as and when.

Apparently though this is still not enough to balance the system, even though it sounded balanced. All the while the tops were usually running at -6db so not running with as much headroom as the subs but still not being run hard. Confusing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 12:14pm

Exactly.

This is why I said...

Charlysays has to literally hear a difference through a sound system other than his to get a better understanding for, explaining it to him is not getting the message across.

Best Regards,

I go to jungle nights in places like Corsica studios and go to various other underground nights, so I have heard a few systems (playing music and even particular songs which I'm familiar with) which are much more expensive than mine. I'm not overly impressed with those sounds. Often the Funktion 1 systems in Corsica studios get piercingly loud towards the end of the night though the bass is still satisfying.

One of the best systems I heard at a new years even party were what looked like four mini scoops, two kick bins and four two way 10" woofer 1" CD tops.

I would rather run my system such that the sense of loudness comes from the low sub region more than the mid range and top end, similar to how rog mogale suggests- +10 below 100hz.
As long as the vocals are coming across intelligible and clear and there is some pleasant sparkle above that I prefer it when the low sub is very powerful.

I think another pair of better but compact tops may be a good upgrade. Something like the JBL SP212- double the power handing, larger compression driver and a very safe crossover point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 12:16pm

Not inevitable with 2 ways. Depends on loads of factors like crossover point to horn, quality of drivers used, how low you run the crossover to sub, music program (lots of hard kick harmonics in the midbass won't be good ie), and obviously how hard you drive them.

JBL SP212 spec sheet looks promising... the crossover frequency is well within the recommended crossover for the compression driver and woofer so the midrange shouldn't suffer. They're also 600w AES each vs 350w AES for the MP415. I'll see if I can get a pair and see how they go. Then I may get another pair
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 1:03pm

Exactly.

This is why I said...

You need understand how the frequencies work on the type of
music you are reinforcing from a dB standpoint. I would suggest finding someone
reinforcing the same type of music as yourself, utilising a larger sound system
than yours, in order to get a better understanding what is needed to get the
job done properly while, achieving the fidelity you are seeking.

Best Regards,

I go to jungle nights in places like Corsica studios and go to various other underground nights, so I have heard a few systems (playing music and even particular songs which I'm familiar with) which are much more expensive than mine. I'm not overly impressed with those sounds. Often the Funktion 1 systems in Corsica studios get piercingly loud towards the end of the night though the bass is still satisfying.

One of the best systems I heard at a new years even party were what looked like four mini scoops, two kick bins and four two way 10" woofer 1" CD tops.

I would rather run my system such that the sense of loudness comes from the low sub region more than the mid range and top end, similar to how rog mogale suggests- +10 below 100hz.
As long as the vocals are coming across intelligible and clear and there is some pleasant sparkle above that I prefer it when the low sub is very powerful.

I think another pair of better but compact tops may be a good upgrade. Something like the JBL SP212- double the power handing, larger compression driver and a very safe crossover point.

For modern dance music in a gig situation, it's actually common to have +20 to +40dB on the low end…

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

For modern dance music in a gig situation, it's actually common to have +20 to +40dB on the low end…
So how many cubo subs do you reckon that would roughly be underneath those JBL tops? Their peak SPL is 131DB.
In a big space, if I ran the MP415s at -3db I think I would be running my four cubo subs fairly hard to keep up with a pleasing amount of sub.

I bought a JBL SP212 off ebay with a damaged woofer (there was another one in good order from the same seller but some git bought it just after new year a couple of days before I decided I wanted the pair lol) but working. Woofers been glued and works but I may recone it depending how testing goes or reinforce with some sort of paper and pva but I'll do some AB testing between it and the MP415 and see which sounds the sweetest when played loud. On paper the SP212 should easily outperform the MP415 due to its bigger CD and better crossover points.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>