Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first rig... progress thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first rig... progress thread
    Posted: 06 December 2017 at 11:46pm
I have decided to document my first build in here. after a lot of deciding i am building a full reflex rig. but i want it be visually pleasing too, but second to any technical needs.

i have already learned a lot regarding design etc from a few guys on here in my other threads and so far this is what i have come up with...  i plan to try and source some coloured foam for behind the grill and add some detail in 4mm ply to the mouth of the Vent. I do have a concern though... will the air moving in and out of the vent cause undesired noise from blowing past the decorative parts??

Edited by Khyber - 06 December 2017 at 11:48pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:55pm
Acoustically transparent foam is fine and you can get it in various colours, do not paint speaker cloth, bad idea.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:56pm
Nice looking rig though Smile
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 4:54pm
Thanks guys. I like the look of coloured cloth behind a black grill its so difficult trying to get a reflex design to look anything other than a box but i do like the result. Building them to look that good on the other hand... haha wont have time to start the build until well into the new year though :(
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 5:52pm
If you want to make a reflex design look less like a box, focus on build quality and attention to detail rather than flare. There's really nothing wrong with the 'just a box' aesthetic, provided you take care to balance and tune the aesthetic. That's what sets pro boxes apart from standard DIY builds after all, and since you seem to wish to go all out on fancy components and extra expense in non-functional areas you may as well direct your attention to the fine details, because that's what people will really notice and remember, not just another variation of the crazy paving brace (which frankly seems a little tacked on in this design as it's not serving a clear function, which I feel compromises the credibility of the box to some degree).

Also consider a v-baffle arrangement, that's about as badass as a dual 15 reflex can can look imo, and you could get some custom grilles cut to protect the drivers cheaply enough if you sunk them into your extra thick baffle - Cnc or laser cut of a couple or 460mm discs wouldn't break the bank and would look very original. There are some commercial v-baffle bass cab designs which give just the sort of aggressive/futuristic flare aesthetic you seem to be shooting at, so you could look to them for inspiration.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the aesthetics of the bass to give the system a visual identity though - the midtop design can define a rig with even the plainest looking subs, so long as it's all designed to go together.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 6:27pm
Can't find the specific example of the cab I'm thinking of - it's a 218 sub with eighteensound drivers, possibly 18nlw9600. Has the vent in the centre of the 'v' so it's like a \_/ shape but the angle on the baffle isn't tight. Maybe 15 degrees or so.

I think you'll find you use the kick bins on their side a lot more often than upright so that's something to consider.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Can't find the specific example of the cab I'm thinking of - it's a 218 sub with eighteensound drivers, possibly 18nlw9600. Has the vent in the centre of the 'v' so it's like a \_/ shape but the angle on the baffle isn't tight. Maybe 15 degrees or so.

I think you'll find you use the kick bins on their side a lot more often than upright so that's something to consider.

TW Audio?

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:09pm
That's the one! Modelling something like this in WinISD might not be so intuitive though. To some degree the baffle may act as an extension/flare of the port so it you modelled it only up to the end of the centre port it might not be accurate.

If the reason for the v-baffle is primarily to add character to the box it wouldn't need to be even 15 degrees though. 7.5 would do the job.

Edited by Hemisphere - 09 December 2017 at 9:30pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 11:37pm
First of al the BSX is 2X 21" (I believe 21NLW9600(1)?)
They describe the enclosure as "Hybrid", definitely not fully horn loaded down to 27 Hz.
But probably till 70/80 fish Hz, looks allot like a scaled up version of the Seeburg Acoustic Line TSE sub.

Ive heard both, and the B30 definitely lacks the real "low-end", but is really punchy.
BSX does have the "low-end" and that was a real nice experience!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 7:54am
I swear I saw that or a very similar cab described as bass reflex, or if not it may have been published with a 100dB sensitivity spec which weighted against the clearly 'horny' style. Was thinking it may have been like an rcf esw1018.

The design style/layout could definitely be carried over to a reflex build if care was taken not to let the unusual baffle arrangement impact on the port behaviour (the top and bottom panels could be cut out with a V shape to let the port open directly to the front of the cab, like the hf section of a line array box ie)
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:56am
If the idea for this cab is a reflex, then I think there's allot of wasted space.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I swear I saw that or a very similar cab described as bass reflex, or if not it may have been published with a 100dB sensitivity spec which weighted against the clearly 'horny' style. Was thinking it may have been like an rcf esw1018.

The design style/layout could definitely be carried over to a reflex build if care was taken not to let the unusual baffle arrangement impact on the port behaviour (the top and bottom panels could be cut out with a V shape to let the port open directly to the front of the cab, like the hf section of a line array box ie)

EAW describe the SB1000 and all it's versions/derivatives as Vented boxes - the angled cavity the drivers sit in does give a bit of gain but mainly up higher than the crossover, and helps act as a massively flared vent, reducing the chance of extraneous noise from that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>