Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first rig... progress thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 2:34pm
But sb1000 has ports like normal br instead of those

Which is probably tapped horn with chamber.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

But sb1000 has ports like normal br instead of those

Which is probably tapped horn with chamber.

Could be, depends on the internal layout - it could still be mostly BR for the actual acoustic loading.
TW claim "Hybrid" which is really a meaningless term - it could be very like the EAW's in that the angled cavity just gives a little more gain at the high end of the response, all the way to being mostly tapped horn (or even dare I say it like two miniscoops mouth to mouth ;-) ). Absent an internal layout or an impedance trace, all we can do is speculate, which doesn't really help the OP.
Anyway, the point of putting it in the thread was just as a visual example of how one can create a more interesting appearance without making significant changes to the complexity of the modelling/build, which I think this still does.
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 12:18pm
That's a damn nice cab! The V arrangement looks sweet. doubt i could confidently simulate a cab like that though :( would make it impossible to tune the port after the build would it not? I would have to be very confident it was all right first time round before starting a build or would you recommend designing the cab and just build the 1, load it and measure? hmm do i take it back to sketchup and play some more with angled baffles? got me tempted.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Khyber Khyber wrote:

That's a damn nice cab! The V arrangement looks sweet. doubt i could confidently simulate a cab like that though :( would make it impossible to tune the port after the build would it not? I would have to be very confident it was all right first time round before starting a build or would you recommend designing the cab and just build the 1, load it and measure? hmm do i take it back to sketchup and play some more with angled baffles? got me tempted.

Unless you stick with a proven cabinet+driver combination, you're best to assume that your 1st cab is a prototype and may need tweaking, yes.

For that kind of layout, your best bet would be to make the whole rear panel removable on said prototype, and make the vents a bit shorter than the model predicts. That way, if they do prove to be tuned higher than you want, you only have to open the back of the cab and glue in strips of wood to extend them to reduce the tuning frequency.

(That's the opposite of the common advice to start long and cut shorter as you measure and refine; on the basis that shortening a built in plywood port will be a lot harder than shortening a plastic tube after the rest of the cabinet is closed up.)

Re: Simulating - if you stick with shallow angles as Hemisphere was suggesting, they'll make very little difference to your model - continue to treat it as a regular vented box. Just remember to account for the changed internal volume of the cabinet.

HTH,
David.
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 3:11pm
Thanks David that clears that up, i can't not have a go at modelling something now :) i guess when it comes to building prototypes i could just build and test them both. I would only be losing the cost of wood for one cab and would find a use for the wood somewhere else.
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 4:20pm
first draft of new design... haven't got around to mid-tops yet but the basics of the sub and kick bins are here :) thoughts?

concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 4:38pm
Like it 😁
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 8:33pm
Just whipped up the shells of the mid tops

The flat panel in the center of the MTs are for the comp horns.

Edited by Khyber - 21 December 2017 at 8:35pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 8:44pm
Fantastic - I feel better about being so harsh on the originals now

Not sure the midtop design is very practical though. What happens when you're using a smaller bass section?

I think stacks look better when the midtops are less wide than the rest of the stack, but that's just personal preference.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 December 2017 at 9:01pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 9:43pm
Thanks man appreciated. Thanks for the inspiration, i'm much happier with these now.

Shoulda posted this one too... I plan to start with this first. 1 sub 1 kick then MT then another kick etc... as a mono stack then double it to stereo, then dream about the 1st pic as 1 side of a full stack haha :)

Haven't braced the MTs yet but here's the guts of the other 2 as well. yet to go into detail about the vents yet, some of them may need to be dummy's. The baffles and everything else are braced well though.

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 9:54pm
Looks nice but sub to kick ratio is all wrong. Look at your excursion plots with high power input and you'll see the subs will be excursion limited while the kicks are thermally limited.

Most of the energy is in the sub region and outdoors bass will be much weaker. Think 2:1 or 3:2.

Bracing is overkill (and not optimal either lol but more than sufficient) . Looks like the inside of a 10 grand B&W hifi, your bottleneck for limiting panel vibrations in the design as shown will be the carpentry skills of the box builder and other fine details like how you secure the driver to the baffle, cabinet hardware, quality of ply, etc, not the panel arrangement.

Open area on some of the bracing looks like it may cause some peculiar issues in the upper bass but I'm not sure about that - you can make those holes bigger or elongate them to capsule shape without issue.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 December 2017 at 10:11pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 10:10pm
Haha OK ill read up on excursion limits etc i'm clueless ;) but very willing to learn.
I was thinking myself too many kicks. So if i went 3 subs and 2 kicks would the 1 MT be fine? They are 12" not 10".

Could you recommend any books that cover building these kinds of rigs, all i can seem to find are books on building home systems and the likes. I could really do with an infographic or flow chart of the entire signal path from source i.e. the DJ mixer right up to the driver. I would be able to picture the final package including all the auxiliary equipment etc.. better that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>