Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first rig... progress thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 1:52pm
You could do but there are reasons not to as well.

Imagine for example the part of a track where the lowest fundamentals of the vocals or some other definition critical sounds are creeping into the upper bass region (and if not entirely, at least within the audible range of the crossover)

And at the same time you've got a 35Hz bass note driving your subs to maximum excursion.

At that time you would be better with a separate kick cab, not for SPL or weight but for clarity between frequency bands.

Edited by Hemisphere - 11 January 2018 at 1:56pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 1:58pm
while the 100 - 200 hz range could not be so prominent in reggae, you still need quality there, and few big subs maintain it up there. you see many reggae sounds going from horn loaded to reflex kicks, but few without them.
if you really want to run your rig three way i'd look at mid tops that reach at least 100/120 hz...

valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 2:02pm
Reggae Soundsystem has a quite particular frequency response which might not be the best template for a system that plays a variety of styles. You could 'tune' a general system to make it sound like a reggae Soundsystem tho.
Agreed on the need for clarity on low mids/upper bass.

Edited by valve head777 - 11 January 2018 at 2:02pm
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 2:15pm
Thanks for the clarification :)

Edit-
Im planning 4 way
18" Sub up to 70-90Hz
15" Kick 70-90Hz  -  180-200Hz
10" Mid Bass 180-200Hz  -  4-5KHz
1.4" CD 4-5KHz  -  20Khz >

Edited by Khyber - 11 January 2018 at 2:34pm
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 4:16pm
You will struggle to get a non-horn loaded 10” to reach much beyond 2k5...

Common cross frequencies for 10/12” to HF are 1k8-2k5... most common being 2k2 in my experience
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 5:12pm
^ ideally not even that high as the 10" will beam a lot.. + you wont require a 1.4" hf, bms 4550 would do, crossed at about 1.6khz

have a look at bluearans 1581 cab using the sonitus audio 8" horn+de250hf, xover around 2.5khz
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 6:26pm
Will do guys, Much appreciated :) funny isn't how when they state usable frequency range (and a lot of other parameters for that matter) it appears almost impossible to ever translate that into practice. I am documenting everything i'm learning here as notes, i haven't tried digesting this much info since school. Even then i didn't really try ha. keep it coming! i have practiced alot of 'disciplines' autodidactically but this has got to be the hardest in terms of scientific and mathematical thoery :)

*Edit - Do the rest seem sensible?

Edited by Khyber - 11 January 2018 at 7:57pm
Khyber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khyber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 11:33pm
Pretty happy with this one! Took some working out to get the adjustable arms calibrated but it works.
Full adjustable every 2.5° from flat up to 20°

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567