Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Speaker Build! HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:54am
Chimed him via the Geezer mail. 

Hopefully he is onboard for a once over.
mauisurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauisurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:14am
Booo. Trolls on the webs who knew
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:48am
you've described a unity horn as a "somewhat simple design".. (it's not). so i think people so far haven't really known what to do with that.

have you read through any of the unity horn threads on DIY audio? like really read them and attempted to understand them, not just noticed that they're there, or skimmed them hoping to find a plan?

i'm genuinely trying to be helpful here. the passive crossover shouldn't be the stumbling block for you.

apologies if you do understand more than you've let on so far, we don't have much info to go on.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:48am
How did you choose your drivers? What parameters / software / experience?
sn95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:50am
Look at diyaudio.com lots of info on the subject.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:02pm
That dayton 15" looks really good for the money. Good horn loading specs. Only downside is 3" VC (but not really unless you intend to stuff 1kw up its arse).
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by mauisurf mauisurf wrote:

So. Where do I start. I have three drivers chosen for the "prototype". 

New Drivers Are!
Dayton Audio PA-380-8 15" x 4F
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa380-8-15-pro-woofer--295-034

Faital Pro 4FE35 8 ohm 4" x 6
https://www.parts-express.com/faitalpro-4fe35-4-professional-full-range-woofer-8-ohm--294-1124

Celestion CDX14-3060 1.4" x 1
https://www.parts-express.com/celestion-cdx14-3060-14-75-watt-compression-driver-8-ohm--294-2150

Does anyone have any idea why each of these drivers would be a bad choice for this configuration?

Other way round I'm afraid.
You tell us why you think they're appropriate first.
I know you've admitted you're new to this; thanks for being realistic about that, but just saying you're new doesn't tell us just how much you might already know.
You giving us your rationale for each choice will go a long way to establish that and will result in you getting far better, more constructive responses back. (You may already have noticed people aren't all taking you entirely seriously... that's quite common when someone new to a field starts off with ambitions of creating a highly complex product for their first project.)

Quote OK so my biggest hangup on this thingy is the splitting of the signal to the mids and highs.

I have two speaker cables running in from two amps with a digital crossover prior splitting the signal between lows and high / mids. but from there I am kind of at a shortfall in wisdom on how to split that second signal and get each of the speakers to run on the same line. 

My friend said there might be an off the shelf component that would do what I wanted but I thought there is probably more to it and I should probably ask someone who has built a speaker before...

Read, learn & inwardly absorb. 
This still won't get you a fully optimised passive crossover, but it'll be a lot better than grabbing an off the shelf unit, and less work than learning everything you need to know about measurement techniques and crossover design to do it properly. This one shows how having proper measurements in the actual box helps refine the design.

Good luck,
David.

Edited by DMorison - 12 December 2017 at 3:05pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

That dayton 15" looks really good for the money. Good horn loading specs. Only downside is 3" VC (but not really unless you intend to stuff 1kw up its arse).

Depends also how they've measured Xmax - 5mm, if that's already one of the more extended calculations, isn't a lot. If that's conservative though, it could be pretty good.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 3:39pm
Mauisurf, if you are genuinely going to do this i wish you all the luck in the world, i have built two sets of unity horns, one two way and one three way, even the simple two way is not easy, i used active xovers on both, there is a good thread on the 12volt section of this forum, https://forum.speakerplans.com/th-unity-horn-24v-wind-solar-system_topic63191.html also there is a very good thread on home theatre forum as well, i believe he eved had passive xover plans, if i can find the link i will send it to you, good luck.Smile 
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 4:09pm
Could everyone just agree to leave Mauisurf and Efinque to it and see how this ends up?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Could everyone just agree to leave Mauisurf and Efinque to it and see how this ends up?

Whaaattt???  And deprive the rest of us a little light reading ???? LOL

Edited by BJtheDJ - 12 December 2017 at 4:39pm
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 4:29pm
Op, please read this as help not aggression.

The reason you'll struggle getting any help is your premise appears to take the piss. If you stumbled onto a nasa forum and explained you'd like to go to the moon and could you help build a rocket because you've a picture of one and googled i guess you'd get the same response.

You've picked a very complicated speaker design and you need to understand it before you start changing anything.

You're running before you can walk and will need to demonstrate that you are willing to learn the basics before anyone's going to invest much time in you.

It won't be me, what you ask is beyond me but i can at least give you a heads up.

Build an established design or learn *a lot* are your options.

Id suggest you start designing and building other boxes first personally. It'll help you learn what you need to move on to the more complicated stuff. I fear if you don't learn enough what you build won't perform well anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>