Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RC1 new active speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 4:24am
What kinda prices? 
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 4:43am
140db peak figure is measured or calculated?
If we reverse calculate, it gets us to 134db with 1500W applied.
That is 131.5 db amplification, so the box needs to be 103.5db sensitive.
I know a 15 inch driver that is capable of taking 1500W and it has 103ish db efficiency, but in a very limited bandwidth. 
If actively cooled, might be able to take more power. So theoretically this is achievable.
If 52kg box is fine for you, then all cool.
But ill rather have two 21kg full range boxes with 136db peak in a way smaller package then that.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 12:20pm
What is the horizontal coverage?

Are there any measurements and polar plots available?
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
RC1 Sound System View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

What is the horizontal coverage?

Are there any measurements and polar plots available?

Nominal coverage for mid/hi speakers is 60 degrees horizontal by 50 degrees vertical.
Not published any polar plots yet, but we do have measurement figures from our tests, so may well publish some plots shortly.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 1:13pm
any pics?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

140db peak figure is measured or calculated?
If we reverse calculate, it gets us to 134db with 1500W applied.
That is 131.5 db amplification, so the box needs to be 103.5db sensitive.
I know a 15 inch driver that is capable of taking 1500W and it has 103ish db efficiency, but in a very limited bandwidth. 
If actively cooled, might be able to take more power. So theoretically this is achievable.
If 52kg box is fine for you, then all cool.
But ill rather have two 21kg full range boxes with 136db peak in a way smaller package then that.

Hi Marjan, you’re not far off the mark on the SPL calcs, and with slightly higher than 103db at some frequencies plus a bit of dynamic headroom above the sinewave 1,500 watt rms on the amp it is perfectly possible and the Espiella proves it.

Even looking at the tops with 500 watts rms (the processing allows the amp to run to it’s clip limiter for music signals and the driver has proven reliable at taking it) there is plenty of scope. 500 watts rms gives (10x500log(10))=+27db, therefore 112+27=139db RMS or 145db peak. Well in excess of the 140db I refer to.

I accept your point that you and many other people would prefer a lighter box and do not require such SPL performance, and in that situation I agree this product would not be the right solution. It is not intended to be a product for the typical user. However, for the people that simply want an exceptionally high performance speaker with massive headroom I think this might be a perfect solution, and I don’t think 57 kg is really all that heavy in the big boy pro audio world.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 1:49pm
2k a cab is some serious output,..Nuke ive got some logic xp15s 600 watters and ther loud for a 25kg box,..but didital sounding to me,..much prefere analog on mid top duty,,its probably the toroidal what bumps the weight up in this cab,..but cant hav it all ay rds Tongue 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by BASSHORSE BASSHORSE wrote:

any pics?

Not got any great ones on the phone here, but found this one from the demo last friday.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 3:41pm
In these days, it is more or less valid that you claim 140db for that box, compared to what other brands do, so please dont take this as a personal criticism.
But looking at REAL long term, wide bandwidth distortion limited max SPL, any two way top speaker is FAR off.
Yes, your HF may have 112db/w/m on a 60x50° horn at 3 khz. But how about 10 kHz? Maybe 103db/w/m? To reach 10% THD in the super HF, you need less than 100w. So that makes ~123dB. Now the lower end of the passband: 103db/w/m may be possible with a 15", but not below 200Hz (below the baffle step where it radiates into true fullspace). A 15" is in the 96dB ballpark around 150Hz, even less below. Add 1500w and no power compression, you end up with 127dB. That is a VERY good figure for a two way active speaker and imo the way you should rate such speakers. But again, you got to claim output as the others do to stay competitive so please dont take this as an attack.

Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 4:22pm

That is the magic number.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

In these days, it is more or less valid that you claim 140db for that box, compared to what other brands do, so please dont take this as a personal criticism.
But looking at REAL long term, wide bandwidth distortion limited max SPL, any two way top speaker is FAR off.
Yes, your HF may have 112db/w/m on a 60x50° horn at 3 khz. But how about 10 kHz? Maybe 103db/w/m? To reach 10% THD in the super HF, you need less than 100w. So that makes ~123dB. Now the lower end of the passband: 103db/w/m may be possible with a 15", but not below 200Hz (below the baffle step where it radiates into true fullspace). A 15" is in the 96dB ballpark around 150Hz, even less below. Add 1500w and no power compression, you end up with 127dB. That is a VERY good figure for a two way active speaker and imo the way you should rate such speakers. But again, you got to claim output as the others do to stay competitive so please dont take this as an attack.

I am just as frustrated as you with the specs of things these days. Everyone quotes over inflated maximum peak figures rather than reliable honest long term averages. Yes, the quoted figure of being able to produce over 140db peak is only valid for peaks and not across every frequency, but it is an honest and genuinely achievable figure and in line with the way other people seem to want to measure/spec things these days.

To be honest I feel frustrated that some other products quote peak figures that they simply can’t realistically achieve at all, and in comparison to us that prejudices against me for my honesty and makes a mockery of quoted specs across the board.

I would rather people don’t read our quoted spec and just listen to the speakers as the clarity and extreme high SPL and headroom that sets them apart from other speakers is then immediately obvious. However, people want a spec sheet with numbers so they can continue the pointless game of hypothetical “top trumps”, so reluctantly I’ve published some numbers.
daavneeq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daavneeq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 7:57pm
Keep up the good work RC1/ John, I've not heard your system yet, I have read the story from the start on here so to speak and wish you well for the simple fact you are doing things your own way, own boxes, created your own wave and have people talking and are taking people on with your own creations. That's where a lot of memorable creations (not just in sound) come from. It's fair to say everything you have achieved up this point can't be just a fluke. Who cares if it looks 'rave' (nothing a paint job wouldn't fix if a client/ venue wanted it etc). Hoy a cluster of it in the air on some rigging and people might take more notice these days eh! :)

Have a good New Year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>