Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 11:05am
Technology moving forward has its benefits too.

What would you rather listen too... a well recorded vinyl or WAV on.

A - mid 80’s Bose 802
B - mid 90’s citronic 15&1
C - mid 2010’s Yamaha DSR
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 11:17am
This has gone off track.

My post was to highlight the way that USB DJ's    CAN    negate all the advances in tech at source.

So, would I rather listen to a CD/record on an 802 or a dick head Mp3 USB on a Yamaha DSR. Give me the 802 scenario any day.
 There is now no control of source, and it seems this is the future.

My fantasy club would have Technics, a Formulas Sound mixer and CD1000 MK2 (mk2 being incapable of mp3). I would also employ a 7th dan doorman with good ears.

Happy New Year
It's everything, not everythink!
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

This has gone off track.

My fantasy club would have Technics, a Formulas Sound mixer and CD1000 MK2 (mk2 being incapable of mp3). I would also employ a 7th dan doorman with good ears.

Happy New Year

And a mixer that sends a small electric shock to the DJ whenever he/she redlines
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by KingGwarn KingGwarn wrote:

And a mixer that sends a small electric shock to the DJ whenever he/she redlines

I smell a market niche...... Educational audio products......
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 3:55pm
Same song, vinyl will sound better than 320 mp3 on sound IF you can provide proppa isolation... Sadly many times turntable feedback makes mp3 sound better at war volumes.
When comparing them also the coloring given by the cartridge comes into play, some cartridges give more bass that will make them sound better than flat mp3.
We rip our vinyls on 48/24 aiff but sadly not all digital releases are available in lossless format.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 4:17pm

This has gone off track.

My post was to highlight the way that USB DJ's    CAN    negate all the advances in tech at source.

So, would I rather listen to a CD/record on an 802 or a dick head Mp3 USB on a Yamaha DSR. Give me the 802 scenario any day.

Happy New Year

And how is a CDJ1000mk2 acceptable?

It's fairly simple, you download the music via MP3 and rip it to a disc in CD format, making your music the same quality as the original MP3.

Once your music format is capable of digital intervention then your up shit creek with out a paddle!

I've had numerous DJs over the years tell me they are playing wav format due to them ripping their MP3's in to WAV format.

There is no way to get around idiots..... they are everywhere! Had one DJ New Year's Eve try and tell me one of my 2000 nexus's was knackard as it wouldn't play his corrupt CD he had burnet at home. Quite funny really as all 6 players we tried it on we're broken..... but seemed to work for everyone else.

Edited by jacethebase - 06 January 2018 at 4:18pm

www.stage2sound.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 4:20pm
Plus may I add you can get a higher quality audio source of a USB than a CD.

Also you can get just as bad audio source of a CD than you can anything else.

www.stage2sound.com
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

I've played vinyl recorded and exported to 320kbps MP3 on a system.. I thought it sounded a bit different than mp3's from download stores (I should've A/B tested with a turntable too I guess but I didn't have one at the time)

They are different. A vinyl master has less compression than direct to digital masters so an MP3 derived from vinyl will sound better these days. It wasn't always that way but since the volume wars started mass produced digital sound quality has gone into the dumpster.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

I have found it's entirely dependent on the original source, some muppet uploading a tune to the internet,with no clue about levels, it's good to push it into the red isn't it? etc.etc. Only a small percentage tunes are recorded well with the correct levels.

There are some excellent uploads on youtube,from very high-end sources,but they are few and far between. The vast majority are tragic.
Be seeing you.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 5:50pm

[QUOTE=nickyburnell] This has gone off track.

My post was to highlight the way that USB DJ's    CAN    negate all the advances in tech at source.

Happy New Year

Yep, I knew someone would have to bring up that bit. You overlooked two things.

1. The word fantasy.
2. The 7th dan doorman who throws out every DJ without pre recorded bought CD's

Jesus this place, lighten up chaps

Unhappy

Edited by nickyburnell - 06 January 2018 at 5:51pm
It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I have found it's entirely dependent on the original source, some muppet uploading a tune to the internet,with no clue about levels, it's good to push it into the red isn't it? etc.etc. Only a small percentage tunes are recorded well with the correct levels.

There are some excellent uploads on youtube,from very high-end sources,but they are few and far between. The vast majority are tragic.

I have often wondered, what is the deal with YouTube & Audio uploads. For instance if I picked a CD of the rack or wav etc and uploaded it to YouTube. What would they upload it in? Guessing it's some low bit rate disaster but what?

www.stage2sound.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:12pm

[QUOTE=nickyburnell] This has gone off track.

Happy New Year

Yep, I knew someone would have to bring up that bit. You overlooked two things.

1. The word fantasy.
2. The 7th dan doorman who throws out every DJ without pre recorded bought CD's

Jesus this place, lighten up chaps

Unhappy

We're all fairly light hearted over here, but if someone doesn't agree with something said or has input etc, they are more than welcome to put it in as you are your self etc.

I personally don't agree with a fair bit chatted about here these days. That's probably a bit to do with my path in the industry changing somewhat and the fact I'm getting a fair few grey hairs now.

Speakerplans as a whole is a pretty friendly forum. Try PSW if you want to see up tight :)

Happy to new year.

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>