Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuff cab in the cold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuff cab in the cold
    Posted: 12 January 2018 at 10:00am
Am I right trying to paint boxes in tuff cab outside this weekend would be a bad idea? (forecast 5C in Edinburgh)Minimum film forming temp is 5C but wondering if anyone has any experience? 

Got time to get to out lockup and paint this weekend and want it done soon but also want it done right! Could get a couple hairdryers on them I suppose.

Thanks.
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 10:49am
Temperature is too low, the paint will not dry properly and will probably crack at the joints later.
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

Am I right trying to paint boxes in tuff cab outside this weekend would be a bad idea? (forecast 5C in Edinburgh)Minimum film forming temp is 5C but wondering if anyone has any experience? 

Got time to get to out lockup and paint this weekend and want it done soon but also want it done right! Could get a couple hairdryers on them I suppose.

Thanks.

you will never get them warm enough without bringing them into a heated room for several hours
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

Thanks.

you will never get them warm enough without bringing them into a heated room for several hours

Not true, I’ve painted many boxes in my garage and the paints lasted just as well as when painted in the warm.
It just takes a lot longer to dry, especially when you put it on thick
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 3:11pm
Just did 4 cabs in cold lock up. Fine
It's everything, not everythink!
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 4:28pm
Cabs that I have painted in the winter seem to dry a slightly different colour to ones painted in the warm and are definitely not as 'Tuff'! 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 4:56pm
Heat the paint in a bucket of hot water
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

If The area/room doesn’t go below 5 , then it’l just take abit longer to dry , best is between 16-24 you’l get Best results.
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 6:23pm
Works though. Back in the days of synthetic car paint used to warn the neighbors to park up the road, heat the gun of paint in saucepan and run out to car. Side at a time parked away from wind!
No thinners needed!!
Used to be called, "hot potting" by arches car types. (under the arches, not wide arches)

Ah the 70's
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

If The area/room doesn’t go below 5 , then it’l just take abit longer to dry , best is between 16-24 you’l get Best results.

I’ve tried both, used my dining room at one point to paint in warmth and it made no difference
Just takes longer to cure in the cold

Edited by nuclearbass - 12 January 2018 at 6:32pm
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 7:44pm
The paint takes quite a while to cure to full hardness (days/weeks) even in a warm environment and will take even longer in the cold.

If at all possible I would not recommend painting cabs when it's that cold.  It might work but you won't get best results.

Edit: saying that when painting in cold units I have used large infra-red heaters to warm the cabs and help cure the paint.

Edited by ceharden - 12 January 2018 at 7:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply