Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hog scoop vs super scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hog scoop vs super scoop
    Posted: 18 January 2018 at 4:58pm
Can I get some opinions on the pros and cons of both the hog scoop vs super scoop and opinions on spl vs sound quality of the two. Much appreciated.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 6:41pm
imo

- stack of 4 full scoops will "throw" a bit further due to front size compared to hogs
- stacking height of regular full size scoops is often prefered too as "most" use single 2-4 15 reflex/smallish 15 horn kick cabs in a single layer ontop, therefore rely on those 20cm more to get their tops at reasonable height without extra effort
- hogs dont exhibit the usual peak and dip as much as "most" respected full size scoops are known and loved for do, on the other hand one could say hogs sound cleaner playing other music than "typical" reggea/spl wise a "typically" tuned and eqd full scoop will beat the hog in a 4:4 stack 40-60hz but wont play as low or musical unless you tune the scoop more gentle, like the polar bears for example

.. according to my, non scientific, personal experiences at least..
..that said - build a dedicated full size, low tuned (60x120x90ish) scoop for the 21ds115 and prepare for clash ;)

king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 7:13pm
i'm using hogs since 2008 and played nuff times vs superscoops.
in my opinion the hogs sound way much cleaner and musical and drop lower, so its better for music other than reggae, superscoop sounds more distorted and louder at 60hz, and has a kind of sound that is well suited to reggae. hogs for most uses, scoops for soundclashes...just my humble opinion.
another hog vs scoops clash in 2 weeks so i'll let you know...
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 8:23pm
One also has to remember, not all soundsystems using Scoops, know what they are doing.

So a poor Engineer, will make very nice sounding Scoops, sound crap.

If any sound system, using Scoops, has any kind of distortion, coming from the bass section, the Engineer is mediocre.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 8:26pm
Would be better, if  a renowned Soundsystem that uses Traditional Scoops,  is compared with a Renowned system, that uses Hogs.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 9:17pm
just build eminence wardrobe and scrap the other 2! 
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Can I get some opinions on the pros and cons of both the hog scoop vs super scoop and opinions on spl vs sound quality of the two. Much appreciated.

To save confusion do you mean for just Reggae or all genres?
It's everything, not everythink!
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 9:46pm
agree with king david and bass*en*mass...I've heard hogs loaded with 1850s and V18-1000s and both times thought they sounded lower and "cleaner"...but the super scoops just hit you inna different way...more force and spl above 40hz...proper chest hitting. proper reggae sound that you just don't get with other cabs and reggae.

I play mostly roots and dub through my hogs and still a big bad and heavy sound....really want to have a play with a pre amp through some hogs...think Adrian's Wall does? Jungle and dubstep absolutely flies through hogs....Electrikal sound can show you that!

I love my hogs every time I hear them, and I love super scoops every time I hear some! Horses for courses....

Edited by KingGwarn - 19 January 2018 at 7:09am
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 9:54pm
the bass below 90hz doesnt come from the driver though, it comes from the mouth which is facing the same as the supers only slightly shorter.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

One also has to remember, not all soundsystems using Scoops, know what they are doing.

So a poor Engineer, will make very nice sounding Scoops, sound crap.

If any sound system, using Scoops, has any kind of distortion, coming from the bass section, the Engineer is mediocre.

That's a pretty weak argument.

You of all people could have promoted scoops for everything they are worth but you chose to try to brush the mistakes under the carpet of scoops systems by saying that nonsense.

Come on lev, give us some solid reason why YOU prefer scoops and their merits
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2018 at 11:41am
Thanks guys, collectively you've painted a pretty good picture of the two. Seeing Lutons comment however makes me feel I should have added the eminence scoop to the list to compare.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2018 at 9:37pm
IIn my experience, Eminence wardrobe is a baaaad box. Occasionally you have to wire them outside the venue and point them threw windows as you can't get them in lol.
We took a door off its hinges every week when we played a certain (now sadly gone) venue in Nottingham. Killa box.....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>