Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Soundcraft Ui12 right for me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardhx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 2:36pm
Quite interested to hear if there have been any updates on this possible rooted version of a Ui mixer firmware.

Definitely want to sort out the Phantom power /noise issues on my own Ui16. A mod I saw on Gearslutz was a bit rough looking (a lot of mass hanging off small pads and components tagged on at odd angles). If I can trace it out, i would prefer to do a reversable mod or even a separate 48v supply board routed to where it is needed. An internal PSU could have another benefit of being able to tie the case to earth.
making the word clear
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 2:58pm
I have a X32 rack. 

I think it’s brilliant for DJ gigs. Heard too many horror story’s of the Soundcraft units to give them a chance I’m afraid.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 12:26am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Heard too many horror story’s of the Soundcraft units to give them a chance I’m afraid.

Just a small update: I got a UI16, when it's working its great for what we use it for. Sounds fine and easy to use. 

The issue is one night the software crashed, the sound was still going through it but we couldn't get the UI to load via the dedicated router, we couldn't even connect to the built-in wifi so we had to bite the bullet and restart it mid-gig, cutting the music out for ~10 seconds. It worked fine after that but now I don't trust it and if it happens again we are going to try the MR18. 
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 3:40am
When the unit crashes, does the audio continue to play through?
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 4:07am
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

When the unit crashes, does the audio continue to play through?

Yes, it does, but when you have the master at -20db to keep it tame at the start of the night and the promoter asks you to turn it up its still a massive pain. 
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 1:00pm
Do the physical controls stop working too? 

Btw I've just bought one so its more for me knowing than to be pedantic or something.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

Do the physical controls stop working too? 

Btw I've just bought one so its more for me knowing than to be pedantic or something.

It doesnt really have any physical controls. Just those two gain knobs. We didnt try them.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 4:57pm
The system doesn’t crash because audio still passes. The networking stack falls over. Use an external router, even a tenner one, instead. No issues.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 7:24pm
It's not just the networking, it's the whole SoC, the kernel panics and won't come back without a reboot - audio still passies via the DSP as that doesn't crash but there is no way left to control it. I did some work to try and get to the bottom of this however I haven't ever managed to get mine to crash..ever. maybe it's heat related?

Also I do have root on mine but kind of lost interest in it
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

The system doesn’t crash because audio still passes. The networking stack falls over. Use an external router, even a tenner one, instead. No issues.

I thought this would be the case too, however using an enterprise grade AP made shit all difference when a ui12 I was using went mid show.

Edited by spongebob - 25 August 2018 at 9:38pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 9:52pm
Did you actually disable the internal networking as well?
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Did you actually disable the internal networking as well?

We are using an external router. First sign of trouble was not being able to load the ui while connected to the external router.

We have not tried disabling the built in wifi

Edited by citizensc - 25 August 2018 at 10:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>