Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer for reggae/rave sound system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jony_850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subwoofer for reggae/rave sound system
    Posted: 31 January 2018 at 7:08am
Hello everyone.
I need advice on a subwoofer for our system.
A couple of years ago, we started to create a sound system. In these years we have learned a lot and we have been realizing all the mistakes we have made and we want to redo it whole.

Our ideas is to go to 4 ways, I know that it is easier the 3 ways, but we want to take advantage of some of the material we have.

When we started we built 4 subs 48 of Billfiztmaurice equipped with eminence 3015lf, sound good but at low frequencies do not yield enough, I think the first mistake was to use a 15 for a sub and the second that we do not use plywood.

This is our sound.

We would like to substitute the titan 48 for another sub 18” (1 way) and use the 3015lf to make 2 box 2x15 bass reflex (2 way) and when we can replace the Das for other midtop and other hightop (3 and 4 way)

We do not know which sub choose, SBH, Invaders, Th118, hog or 2x18 ... we see a lot but never hear. Some has spl charts bad is difficult compare. In faq section i read that scoops not is a good choice better folded horn... i was reading the forum a lot last week, but I dont know what to do
We put reggae, dub, jungle, dnb, neuro, trance, tekno ... and we’ll but new drivers and amps.

Any advice is good recibed.

Edited by Jony_850 - 31 January 2018 at 7:17am
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 11:07am
Scoops scoops scoops and more scoops lol

Loads of designs online, four superscoops from this forum would probably be good enough for what you need
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

Loads of designs online, four superscoops from this forum would probably be good enough for what you need

Yes.

Would also  sell the Eminence drivers, and get something better in your budget.

Then you can be advised on best Scoops,  for your drivers.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Jony_850 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jony_850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

Originally posted by Levyte357 Levyte357 wrote:

Yes.

Would also  sell the Eminence drivers, and get something better in your budget.

Then you can be advised on best Scoops,  for your drivers.

Originally posted by FAQ FAQ wrote:

I don�t like scoop or rear loaded horns cabinets because the output from the front of the driver is out of phase from the output of the horn or rear of the driver. This causes a dip in the frequency response, which normally occurs around the 70 to 90Hz range for 15 or 18" bins. It is in this 70 to 90 Hz range that we hear or feel the kick or speed of the bass. Most scoop bins have a 3 to 6 dB dip in the response around that area making the cabinet sound slow and heavy. Scoops lack any real punch and detail and are very difficult to mix a band on. Bigger scoops with 21" drivers will have the dip lower down at around 50 to 60 Hz and the dip in response will be less pronounced with the more cabinets you use.

I much prefer folded horns as they do not have this dip and phase abnormality around the crucial 70 to 90 Hz frequency range. Folded horns are capable of reproducing the music very accurately and exposing a lot of detail, detail you would just not hear with a scoop bin. Folded horns also throw the sound a lot further than scoops. If you walk away from a scoop bin the sound seems to disappear after about 35 feet, with folded horns the sound travels a lot further.

Thanks for your answer
But what about that? Super scoop is the best choice I always hear that is an old desing with many problems.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 4:30pm
I know too many Reggae Sound Systems, who started out with Folded Horns, got rid, now have Scoops.

For other Music, yep, Folded horns are great, but for Roots Reggae, they will never sound as good as Scoops, in 2-3x stacks of 4x, 38-80hz.

Listen to people who go to Reggae dances regular, or own Scoops.. Wink

Edited by levyte357- - 31 January 2018 at 4:31pm
Jony_850 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jony_850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I know too many Reggae Sound Systems, who started out with Folded Horns, got rid, now have Scoops.

For other Music, yep, Folded horns are great, but for Roots Reggae, they will never sound as good as Scoops, in 2-3x stacks of 4x, 38-80hz.

The problem is we put other kind of music like tekno, psytrance, hardtek, dnb,neuro, tribe... aparte of reggae roots and dub. I like scoops but I’m worried about for other kind of music.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

not sure lev I agree, in the past few years ive seen just as many sounds move from scoops to folded horns and traditional reflex designs. Any design cab play reggae, roots dub, what counts is can you tune your rig to get it to play in a way that your happy with.

But based on your not getting what you want from your horns, then maybe scoops is the way to go.
https://www.elements-audio.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

not sure lev I agree, in the past few years ive seen just as many sounds move from scoops to folded horns and traditional reflex designs. Any design cab play reggae, roots dub, what counts is can you tune your rig to get it to play in a way that your happy with.

I'm not saying Folded horns are never better than Scoops..

But I think it's an established fact, for gigs where DJs are playing, (NOT LIVE), most Folded Horns just don't do much below 50hz...

I recently went to Reggae gig, where there were 2x stacks of 6x 21" Folded horns, powered by K20 per stack, and yes, everything in sight was being devastated by 55hz plus, but that is not a desirable way of listening to Roots Reggae.

I've heard 2x stacks of 4x 1850horns/186Horns, SBH. Always the same as the above, struggle to do lower than 50hz.

Meanwhile, 2x Stacks of 4x SteveBs, Fane Scoops, ASS, Wattco, effortless notes downto 40hz.

Jony_850 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jony_850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 6:58am
I’agree with all of you, i hear a lot of dub and reggae sound system and sound powerfull down 40hz, but I think the sound lose details, with titan 48 the sound is clear but dont have power in low frecuencies, is true that they has 15 inch driver and it cant to move the air than 18 inch driver.
Folded like for clear, rear loaded or similar for loudest.
What about for hog or danley th118?
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 11:28am
The best kind of sub for reggae and dub is the karlson slot, followed by reflexsluz.

Scoop is perfect for lazy sound boy who don't wanna have the headache of thinking about somethink different.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 3:46pm
Was long time thinking of making 21" version of  Martin WSX, but when I heard 12 21" Folded horns, pretty much fail to hit below 50hz with SPL, I decided not to.

Some people happy with Folded Horns playing Reggae, but I can guarantee it's not the dub crowd, who absolutely, definitely want to hear 40hz with huge SPL, as opposed to 55hz.

EDIT:Won't even mention the Dub Reflex crew, who want huge SPL, at 30hz!!!

LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 01 February 2018 at 3:49pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 6:57pm
You can easily get below 50hz with a 21” FLH, it just has to be huge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>