Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new setup help required please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdavej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new setup help required please
    Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:19am
advice greatly accepted here,
.Ihave a pair of Celestion KR 10 speakers,200w 8 ohms i love them,inputs appear to be 1 speakon and the type where you put the red and black wires in,not sure what there called.I would like to run a sub along with these.The mixer im using is a Numark DXM06 with balanced out left and right phone connectors -rca master out and rca record out.No XLR outputs.The speakers dont appear to have ouputs only inputs,but ide really like to keep and use them.Ide like to build a setup around the Celestions,and add a sub.I have not yet purchased an amp or amps,ide like to hear what options are open first.Im doing my homework ,gonna try and get some ideas off you people on what route to go,ideally keeping what ive got.Im hoping a 600w sub might compliment the KR 10s.Your ideas greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:55am
You need some form of crossover to split the frequencies (sub-mid/high)  Approx 100hz. Or you need a powered sub and an amp for the tops.

Simple option would be an iNuke (3000 or 6000) with DSP. Use it with both inputs summed (mono). So one side for the tops, one for the sub(s) and set the DSP to cross over at around 100hz

Failing that two amps or 4 channel and a crossover or DSP. Behringer DCX2496 is the starting point

Any simple 15 or 18 sub will do, just reflex. Look for used W Audio, Yamaha, EV, Peavey or an NJD 18 these have Celestion drivers.  You WILL want two subs later though, promise :)

For example, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Audio-EM201-18-Single-sub-subwoofers/292418624454?hash=item4415821bc6:g:NJkAAOSwxixaLVVh

Edited by nickyburnell - 06 February 2018 at 8:59am
It's everything, not everythink!
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:12am
Same as nicky said.

If you get suck let me know, were in the same city.
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

Bit personal innit?
Don't test the champignon sound
djdavej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdavej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 2:08pm
Many thanks for your time and input people,gonna now start reading about the ideas you put forward.
Smile.It solid ground to start building  with that information.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 7:20pm
LOLLOLLOL
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

Bit personal innit?
LOLLOLLOL
djdavej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdavej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:29pm
hi again,
decided that im gonna go with 2 subs not one,been doing some reading and you said i probably would later,so going with it now.Still in the planning stage,but two top/mids and two subs seems the way to go.putting a mobile road show together again after a 30 yr break but getting excited about it all lol.Got my decks mixer speaker stands tops/mids and working on my music catalogue aswell.Which brings me back to my questions.The Celestion KR 10 200w 8 ohm speakers i have only have one speakon input and pins where you can attach red and black wires.The plan is left channel 1 sub and the cel
estion,right channel, 1 sub and the celestion.would i be able to run a cable  for each channel from a stereo amp first to a crossover then to the sub with two speakon connections then tothe tops with the single speakon connection,of course same for both sides.Many thanks for your help

krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:33pm
your crossover sits between mixer and amp ,so the crossover is basically telling the amp what frequency to send to the speakers
so the outputs from your mixer go into you active crossover
outputs from the crossover to the inputs of the amps
one amp for bass , one for tops

there are some amps that have inbuilt crossover like the peavey pv range and Mackie fr which split the frequencies at say 125hz so doing the job of the crossover in the chain
you only need one speakon input on each cab as youll have one channel per speaker
I personally wouldn't use subs and bass of each side of an amp mainly because im a perfectionist and music isn't always recoded the same on both sides ,so you could miss out on certain thing in tracks by running a mono sytem
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by krazyneil krazyneil wrote:

I personally wouldn't use subs and bass of each side of an amp mainly because im a perfectionist and music isn't always recorded the same on both sides ,so you could miss out on certain thing in tracks by running a mono sytem

Unless you sum the signal and there is another can of worms.Big smile

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Or a simple solution

https://www.studiospares.com/Deals/Studiospares-Red-Series/Studiospares-RED503-Passive-Line-Combiner_458220.htm
djdavej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdavej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:34am
Thanks again for you taking time to help and reply. First I seem to be misunderstanding something here. You say personally you would use subs and bass on each side of an amp, I thought subs and bass were the same thing e.g a sub is a bass bin. Please point out the error of my ways. Now I got my idea from looking at a shop which hires out disco gear and it was a 1kw rig using tops and a bass bin on both sides using only 1 amp that was a 1kw stereo. Sounded simple , your suggestion is one amp  for top and 1 amp for bass. Help me out here but I thought 1 amp better cheaper and efficient. Your thought please and again thanks, I’m happy to learn
djdavej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdavej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:39am
should have read
Personally I wouldn’t use subs and bass on the same side of an amp
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:49am
crossovers are either active or passive.  Active are mains powered and act to split the frequency bands before the amplifier whilst passive are non powered and split the frequency after the amp..

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>