Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need plans for a quad 18 (JBL2245H) bass reflex
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need plans for a quad 18 (JBL2245H) bass reflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

The bigger the box and the lower the tuning frequency, the lower you may be able to go, but this normally comes at the cost of running out of linear excursion at lower power levels.

HTH,
David.

That only occurs when you choose the wrong driver for the job and try to extract every bit of SPL from a single driver. Things differ tremendously, once you use the proper driver for the job .

That's why I brought it up - to try and help the OP avoid using the wrong box for their driver (or vice versa).

He seems set on using rather high powered amps for these, so over excursion is IMO almost inevitable.

Of course, I don't know how experienced he is - maybe he'll find that the extra efficiency from coupling lots of cones does indeed allow use at only a modest wattage, which will be fine - but if people don't highlight these issues before the build, then the possibility remains of the OP (or anyone else embarking on a similar project) trying to turn it up louder and being disappointed.

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Roman Roman wrote:

I've got (2) 2245H's. I'm looking at getting old 2240's reconed to be 2245H's.
I might be designing an over spec'ed system. But it will be fun to have what I predict will be a big effortless sound. I'm hoping it will be quite an experience.

All the responses so far suggest there are preferences that have to be chosen.
I just want the best sound. I want to play all sorts of music. Hold dances with different genre themes.
But I definitely will focus on the deepest bass sound of reggae dances. Primarily it will be a reggae sound system.
Some of the advantages of the bass reflex ported cabinets vs scoops that I read on this forum were, a flatter frequency response and lower extension into lower frequencies than the scoops. She criticised scoops for producing one note baselines. IOW emphasising one frequency over others.
I want to hear all the notes of baselines evenly I am guessing.
Other sounds seem to be successfully using the bass reflex cabinet including quads.
Surely there is some ideal design that will be appropriate for my JBL 2245H drivers and give me the best sound reproduction.
Nothing lacking in the lowest frequencies and even frequencies I assume.

An (apparently) over-spec'd system is no bad thing - it will help avoid the over-excursion issues I was mentioning for a start. It will also help avoid power compression, which for these drivers is already 2dB @ 100W.

Basically, just realise that if you chuck anything more than a few hundred watts at each box, you won't be getting much if any benefit - but if they're loud enough on lower power, you're all good.

As to having to choose preferences, yes, absolutely - this is the crux of a lot of speaker design.
Particularly, Hoffman's Iron Law is Iron for a reason - it's pretty inflexible.

The generalizations you've gleaned so far about reflex boxes are fair enough (recognizing that all generalizations have exceptions, and a badly designed reflex can still sound bad), but you still have to match driver to box. 
If the driver you have, doesn't work well in the box type you want (including accounting for the size issues you've already identified), then something's gotta give.

My advice: accept that getting down into the very low frequency range may be unrealistic, target a system that goes good and loud to about 40Hz (which is the lowest note on a normally tuned bass guitar anyway) and you'll end up with a more manageable box size.

FWIW,
David.
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 11:04pm

Building a reflex becomes more complex when you want something different than the average end user.

I don't know if I want something different than the average end user. I want to play old 70s Jamaican music and feel the bass. 90s synth bass in reggae, hip hop, house etc.

I don't want to miss out on the deepest lows. The aim is for magic in the dance.

When discussing frequencies it is interesting to note the lowest note on a bass guitar, the open E string is 41Hz. And I am also recalling that vinyl records (I won't be only playing vinyl) are said to be high passed at, IIRC, about 40Hz. If I aimed for 30Hz what compromises would I be incurring vs aiming for 40Hz. I may as well have my cake.

Just thinking aloud, a couple of people have quoted the lowest bass guitar open E string (41Hz) as a possible lowest necessary frequency to reproduce. But I am questioning if lower frequencies are still relevant. Perhaps the bass drum can have relevant info below 40Hz?

This is where those that are familiar with reflex designs will have the knowledge to build a cabinet that meets the aesthetics and performance level one is seeking. A lot of people down play a reflex design without realising a properly design reflex requires just as much effort as building a folded horn. 

It is precisely this reason why custom designs are not readily available whereas, more generic designs are available at an abundance on the Internet. 

Best Regards, 

Ok, so I do need to seek assistance from an experienced speaker box man.

Some previous comments about undesirable outcomes from mismatching a specific driver's characteristics with a cabinet design seem redundant if I am entering the Thiele and Small specifications of my JBL 2245H drivers into the bass reflex cabinet calculator.

Other comments regarding me having perhaps too much power for my configuration go against the recommendation of having twice the wattage per driver than the maximum RMS of the driver. Perhaps it was just warning me of the potential of blowing up drivers by turning it up too loud. I definitely don't intend to turn it up too loud. I assume that (4) quad 18 boxes with 1100W per driver playing in small to medium venues is bordering on overkill. Maybe I will be tempted to show off a little with some super Bassy tunes. But I doubt it.

I just want to be able to play Dawn Penn's 1992 version of 'No, no, no' produced by Steely and Clevie and have the synth baseline sound big, friendly and effortless.

I read the English blokes talk about which sound is the heaviest and cringe. It sounds like low self esteem egotistical male competitiveness turning what should be a fun, healing sound to dance to into a painful contest where hearing protection is required. Perhaps there is some subjectivity in what is too loud in individuals perceptions. But if you need ear plugs then that confirms to me it is too loud. I will have no part in that absurd mentality of masochism.

But hey it can be fun to push things a little and overload on bass. I may be more sensitive than most. I used to tolerate louder sound when drunk. I don't get drunk anymore.

The whole idea behind having so many drivers is to have a big effortless, friendly sound.

What do you guys think of my configuration of a quad 18 box with a double 15 on top and one JBL2445H 2 inch compression driver and multi cell wooden horn. Is that unbalanced? I assume that to get an even sound I just need to adjust the levels going to each box via the volume controls after each crossover band.

Elliott words of too much bass are soothing. Better to have too much than too little.

Can someone spoon feed me and tell me what they think are some good parameters. Just for food for thought.

I think I've communicated my sound intentions quite specifically.  

Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 2:06am

An (apparently) over-spec'd system is no bad thing - it will help avoid the over-excursion issues I was mentioning for a start. It will also help avoid power compression, which for these drivers is already 2dB @ 100W.
What were the over excursion issues you mentioned? Too much amplifier power making the speakers move too much and causing damage?

Basically, just realise that if you chuck anything more than a few hundred watts at each box, you won't be getting much if any benefit - but if they're loud enough on lower power, you're all good.
I don't understand. For subs I have detailed my intended system. A quad box of four 18s with 1100W per driver. That is 4400W per box. Your statement reads like I only need a few hundred watts of power per quad box. Can you explain what you mean please.
Others including Elliot recommend a minimum of double the max RMS of the driver in amp power. So for my 600W JBL 2245H that is 1200W.
If I only need a few hundred watts why bother buying a huge Crest 9001, 50Kg, thousands of dollars and thousands of watts?

As to having to choose preferences, yes, absolutely - this is the crux of a lot of speaker design.
Particularly, Hoffman's Iron Law is Iron for a reason - it's pretty inflexible.

The generalizations you've gleaned so far about reflex boxes are fair enough (recognizing that all generalizations have exceptions, and a badly designed reflex can still sound bad), but you still have to match driver to box. 
So would entering the TS specs into a cabinet design calculator guarantee the cabinet matches the driver? That is my understanding currently.

If the driver you have, doesn't work well in the box type you want (including accounting for the size issues you've already identified), then something's gotta give.
The only information I have about matching driver to cabinet is to enter in the Thiele and Small parameters of the Driver into the speaker box calculator. Anything else I should know.

My advice: accept that getting down into the very low frequency range may be unrealistic, target a system that goes good and loud to about 40Hz (which is the lowest note on a normally tuned bass guitar anyway) and you'll end up with a more manageable box size.
So essentially you are saying the lower I want the lowest frequencies of the box to reproduce the larger the box will need to be. 
Thanks for the Hoffmans Iron Law link. I have read that before but needed a refresher.
It is a spectrum of decisions isn't it. I decide how big a cabinet is too big and work back from there.

Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 3:17am
So far I have entered in the JBL 2245H data sheet parameters:
into this vented box calculator:
Data fields I entered:
Diameter: 46cm
Fs: 20Hz
Qms: 2.2
Qes: 0.31
Qts: 0.272
Vas:820L
Vdr: 34
Then the resulting 'Desired volume of enclosure' calculated is:
Vb: 293.17

Then I click 'calculate dimensions and performance' and the results are:
Calculated internal dimensions:
Width: 67.07cm
Height: 108.52cm
Depth 41.45cm
Volume Vb: 301.67L

Ok, I have just realised that this time I have entered in the volume for one driver.
*I am assuming I only multiply by the number of drivers (4) the fields for 'volume of internal drivers and parts' and 'desired volume of the enclosure'. All the other fields I assume are just for one driver.
So multiplying the calculator's recommended volume by four gives:
1172.68L
And multiplying the 8.5L of the driver and parts volume equals: 34L.
So calculating for four drivers equals:
Width:106.47cm
Height:172.26cm
Depth:65.8cm
Volume Vb:1206.68L

Then click 'calculate single port' gives:
port area: 148.79cm2
port length: 1.96cm

And finally, the 'calculated performance specifications'
Port alignment frequency Fb: 17.84Hz
Peak level: 3.903db
F-3 "cutoff" frequency at -3db: 16.72Hz

Whew! You still with me.
Just thought I would share the specifics of using this online calculator. May help inform any helping me.
My understanding is I can alter the 'box volume' and calculate different results. Maybe I can alter the F-3 frequency as Elliot and DMorison have suggested as the aim. 40Hz or something.

A big question in my mind is why did the calculator recommend:
293.17L
That seems to be the variable that has resulted in a box that is too big and goes down to 17Hz F-3.
Roman.

Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 3:19am
Even entering JBL's minimum recommended enclosure volume of 225L times four 900L gives an F-3 of 19Hz?
Half the suggested target of 40Hz.
How accurate is this process and our communications?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:20am

Building a reflex becomes more complex when you want something different than the average end user.

I don't know if I want something different than the average end user. I want to play old 70s Jamaican music and feel the bass. 90s synth bass in reggae, hip hop, house etc.

I don't want to miss out on the deepest lows. The aim is for magic in the dance.

So what do you want a Quad Eighteen Box for?

Quad Eighteen boxes you see others own derived from Roots Sound systems.  None of them are going to play Hip Hop more so House Music. 

When discussing frequencies it is interesting to note the lowest note on a bass guitar, the open E string is 41Hz. And I am also recalling that vinyl records (I won't be only playing vinyl) are said to be high passed at, IIRC, about 40Hz. If I aimed for 30Hz what compromises would I be incurring vs aiming for 40Hz. I may as well have my cake.

Just thinking aloud, a couple of people have quoted the lowest bass guitar open E string (41Hz) as a possible lowest necessary frequency to reproduce. But I am questioning if lower frequencies are still relevant. Perhaps the bass drum can have relevant info below 40Hz?

If I recall correctly, 20 Hz - 20.000 kHz became the standard as it was based on what the human ear can hear in terms of audio reproduction. Of course, there are frequencies below 20 Hz that can be detected by the human ear. However, 20 Hz is pretty much commonly heard by the average person. Focusing on one instrument and assuming that is lowest frequency while disregarding other instruments is not how one looks to create a bass cabinet. The only person that follows that principal are those who play a bass guitar.

Have you even taken the time to enter the TS Parameters in a free loudspeaker program to determine if the loudspeakers you own are suitable for a Reflex Box?

Let me tell you how Speakerplans work. If you do not make the effort (post charts of the speaker in question in a loudspeaker simulation software) those who can help you, will not help you. The ones who know how achieve what a person seeks is willing to help along the way if we see the person is making the effort. So post some charts of the JBL 2245 in a box you designed in a loudspeaker simulation software program.

Once you do that, you will find answers and, we will help you.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:24am
[

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 15 February 2018 at 4:27am
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:26am

Here you go... http://www.linearteam.org/

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:32am

The bigger the box and the lower the tuning frequency, the lower you may be able to go, but this normally comes at the cost of running out of linear excursion at lower power levels.

HTH,
David.

That only occurs when you choose the wrong driver for the job and try to extract every bit of SPL from a single driver. Things differ tremendously, once you use the proper driver for the job .

That's why I brought it up - to try and help the OP avoid using the wrong box for their driver (or vice versa).

He seems set on using rather high powered amps for these, so over excursion is IMO almost inevitable.

Of course, I don't know how experienced he is - maybe he'll find that the extra efficiency from coupling lots of cones does indeed allow use at only a modest wattage, which will be fine - but if people don't highlight these issues before the build, then the possibility remains of the OP (or anyone else embarking on a similar project) trying to turn it up louder and being disappointed.

Roman will not know the limitation until he start viewing charts. As the saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I post a link to WinISD so he can visually see what is taking place.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:56am

So what do you want a Quad Eighteen Box for?

Mostly 70s roots reggae. But also 70s and 80s soul, funk, disco, boogie dance music, hip hop, house. 

Quad Eighteen boxes you see others own derived from Roots Sound systems.  None of them are going to play Hip Hop more so House Music. 

I have read people explain that bass reflex cabinets are flatter in frequency reproduction than scoops and extend lower in frequencies reproduced than scoops. Also that concert PA systems mostly use bass reflex cabinets because they are more broadly compatible with rock and other genres. How do the bass reflex cabinets used by reggae sound systems differ from other bass reflex cabinets?

If I recall correctly, 20 Hz - 20.000 kHz became the standard as it was based on what the human ear can hear in terms of audio reproduction. Of course, there are frequencies below 20 Hz that can be detected by the human ear. However, 20 Hz is pretty much commonly heard by the average person. Focusing on one instrument and assuming that is lowest frequency while disregarding other instruments is not how one looks to create a bass cabinet. The only person that follows that principal are those who play a bass guitar.

You didn't respond to the possibility that vinyl records could be high passed at 40Hz which is interesting and I would have thought relevant when lot's of reggae sound systems that pride themselves on big bass are playing vinyl records.

If I can reproduce the full range of human hearing 20Hz to 20Khz that should be satisfactory.

I was responding to Davids advice in this thread, which was:

My advice: accept that getting down into the very low frequency range may be unrealistic, target a system that goes good and loud to about 40Hz (which is the lowest note on a normally tuned bass guitar anyway) and you'll end up with a more manageable box size.

Have you even taken the time to enter the TS Parameters in a free loudspeaker program to determine if the loudspeakers you own are suitable for a Reflex Box?

I took the time to enter into the online calculator I detailed. I will now do as you advise and use WinISD for mac and report back with useful data. This is the first time someone has required me to use WinISD or similar. 

Let me tell you how Speakerplans work. If you do not make the effort (post charts of the speaker in question in a loudspeaker simulation software) those who can help you, will not help you. The ones who know how achieve what a person seeks is willing to help along the way if we see the person is making the effort. So post some charts of the JBL 2245 in a box you designed in a loudspeaker simulation software program.

Once you do that, you will find answers and, we will help you. 

Not a question of effort. I am totally new to this. I am ready and willing. This is my third day as a total newbie to speaker cabinet design. I didn't know that's how the speakerplans forum works.
I will report back soon after using WinISD.
Thanks,
Roman.
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:59am
WinISD is for windows. I am on a mac. I will research mac alternatives.
Roman.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>