FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FULL B&C soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FULL B&C soundsystem
    Posted: 14 February 2018 at 11:00am
Bought some 15nw76 a few months back and stuck them in small sealed cabinets and they are beautiful. Ran them up to 2khz a few weeks back (just for a trial) under a 1.4" and they still sounded amazing..

Seriously clean sound! Maybe one to consider for a double 15"? Also I wouldn't bother with some many different drivers. 15"s will go up to maybe 500hz then a dual 10" or even an 8" will meet some compression drivers
abassisoundz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abassisoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:23am
Thank you all! so I'll forget about the 1"CD, this seems to be a good advice and replace it with a tweeter. About the choice of using 18" kicks, in fact, my aim was to use them in a little stack before building scoops, so I don't think to replace them with scoops, but maybe in future, I will replace reflex with horn loaded kick bins like the MKB-230. Any suggestion for the 2" CD? Anything about the tuning frequency of the midbass?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:13am
Originally posted by abassisoundz abassisoundz wrote:

2 18"tbx100 for two mid-bass reflex,
2 12"ndl88 for the mid-tops,

Those reflex 18s are wasted here IMO and 12" mids don't have enough low/mid output to cover down to the sub so I'd substitute dual15's for both..  maybe the 15PLB76 to maximize output above 100hz.

Originally posted by abassisoundz abassisoundz wrote:

1 2"compression driver and
1 1"compression driver
  This I don't get... manly because integrating two of these horns will be difficult and because the B&C 2" drivers are so sweet and a little highend EQ goes a long way. So I say forget the 1" CD completely.

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 4:25pm
Quote " I don't want to use any tweeter because of their habit of breaking themselves at every session

What do you mean? if you have good quality component and don't abuse them (if they are high passed correctly and you send them a clean unclipped signal) that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not saying you should absolutely use tweeters, but the reason you've stated seems invalid.

I know a sound that breaks 18" in their scoop almost at every session, does this mean 18" scoops are to avoid? not in my humble opinion! (I guess it's more an operator issue than a component issue...)

Also, I fully agree with Elliot, why chose 18" over 15"? we've a similar sound and now we want to go bigger we're actulally wanting to replace our gsubs (double 18" reflex) for double 15" reflex, more details here :
https://forum.speakerplans.com/which-15-reflex_topic101274.html

Thus avoiding to port your 12". The advantage of 18" reflex is that you can use them as a general purpose bass bin when doing little setups (for us that never happened...)

Edited by JBK - 13 February 2018 at 4:34pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 3:50pm
I would suggest using a double fifteen to cover between the 18 inch and a 12 inch cabinets. At least with a 15 inch driver, it can cover some of the midrange where the 12 inch will be seeking help.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 13 February 2018 at 3:51pm
Elliot Thompson
abassisoundz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abassisoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 3:27pm
Hi everyone, I'm building my first stack and I need some advice. I want to use only b&c speakers, thanks to their availability in my region and their good value for money:
2 18"tbx100 for two super scoopers,
2 18"tbx100 for two mid-bass reflex,
2 12"ndl88 for the mid-tops,
1 2"compression driver and
1 1"compression driver (I've not chosen which ones yet)
Now I've got a lot of questions to ask!

First of all, I'll say that I will play strictly dub and roots music on my sound and so the first question is, is it well dimensioned?

The second question is about the bass-reflex, I was intended to use a 35Hz tuned 200l cabinets with two 12x22,5cm ports, each one 32cm deep. My fear is that the sound of this cabinets will not fit with my intention to use them for the kick section.
I've used WinISD to simulate, but I don't know if the aim of the simulation is just to see a linear response in the range of interest or not and I don't understand how the tuning frequency will affect the sound of the box in that range. (I've understood that the bass reflex box aim is to extend the bass response of the speaker, but I don't understand if it changes the response of the box even in the other frequencies)

The third is about the choice of the compression drivers, for now, I don't want to use any tweeter because of their habit of breaking themselves at every session, I think I'll upgrade them in the second time. Is the dimensioning right? Should I cover the whole top section with them?

The fourth is about the 12"s: making it vented will make their response too slow or not? Because this option will help me to cover all the range of frequencies I need.

Thanks very much to all of you and to all that will answer me!
 Post Reply Post Reply