Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Has anyone heard an all valve rig e.g. Axis, S&P?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone heard an all valve rig e.g. Axis, S&P?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Mmmm, does a TX core really change its magnetic properties?
Generally, it's the output tx that dictates the sound before saturation occurs I believe. Overdriving valves does wear out the screen and output impedance is also crucial to this. The thing I like is the wave shape becoming a sort of saw tooth. I do know a builder who winds his tx's so they reproduce a square wave up to 40khz. His hifi amps do sound good.
Unfortunately he's been brainwashed by the alt-right, but that's another story!! Maybe succumbed to too much RF radiation from his pirate radio transmitter heh heh.....
Yes, the physical weight is horrible, but when people see the blue pulse in time with the b-line, they're sort of memorized! And they do seem to love it when the bass begins to fry.

Magnetics certainly can decay with time, some worse than others. Depends a lot on how the material is constructed I expect. Also laminations can come loose over time and start buzzing etc. For sure the output Tx has an influence on the sound but imho the key to it all is the interplay between the output valves and the Tx together in terms of setting a load line. Plus of course anything you design the pre-amplification driver stages to achieve.

Indeed setting the primary impedance is very important when it comes to your valve plates melting or not! And that is also affected by the load you put on the transformer secondary. In the opposite direction to solid state a valve amp is more likely to go pop if you put a higher impedance on the output Tx secondary.

A sawtooth wave is a combination of odd harmonics, so would be linked with a push pull output stage that tends to cancel the evens. Pentodes also tend more towards odd harmonics as I recall, can't quite remember why off my head though.

A well reproduced square wave up to 40KHz is quite respectable bandwidth, wonder what the lower limit of such an output Tx is.

More of a guitar amp person these days, but maybe in the future I'll have a go at some dual channel stuff. Spending a lot of time currently looking into variable power reduction circuits for guitar amps.

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Roman Roman wrote:

Valve head, appropriate name.

I have read that tube watts are worth about 4 solid state watts. Funny thing to type.

No, watts are watts, doesn't matter if they are being produced by valves, analogue transistors or digital transistors.
the confusion comes from the elegant and forgiving way that valve amps clip - as has been said by others valves and their associated output coupling go out of their linear window smoothly, whereas transistors clip hard ( unless this is controlled by external circuitry) and very quickly sound very poor.

in short, you can push a valve amplifier further beyond its linear envelope before the result is unpleasant, just make sure that your output transformers are up to the job - in my view this is where great valve amplifiers are born.

Be vary careful regarding limiters - used by the inexperienced, or relied upon to protect a system this can easily reduce the dynamic range and increase the long term average power that will cook your voice coils. With large valve amplifiers that can provide continuous, sustained output, this danger is greater still.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Roman Roman wrote:

I am putting together a vintage style rig. Looking at valve amps as an option.
How do Valve a tron and Sound and Pressure sound compared to their solid state counterparts?
We had a dance here using a valve amp on 4 scoops. I didn't hear enough of a difference to be convinced valve amps are necessary.

Some people seem to be religious about the valve sound.

Have you been to a Valve a torn or Sounds and Pressure dance? How was the sound? Valve amps are not the only factor though.

Out of interest, what valve amps did you use, and what scoop/driver combination?
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Mmmm, does a TX core really change its magnetic properties?
Generally, it's the output tx that dictates the sound before saturation occurs I believe. Overdriving valves does wear out the screen and output impedance is also crucial to this. The thing I like is the wave shape becoming a sort of saw tooth. I do know a builder who winds his tx's so they reproduce a square wave up to 40khz. His hifi amps do sound good.
Unfortunately he's been brainwashed by the alt-right, but that's another story!! Maybe succumbed to too much RF radiation from his pirate radio transmitter heh heh.....
Yes, the physical weight is horrible, but when people see the blue pulse in time with the b-line, they're sort of memorized! And they do seem to love it when the bass begins to fry.

Magnetics certainly can decay with time, some worse than others. Depends a lot on how the material is constructed I expect. Also laminations can come loose over time and start buzzing etc. For sure the output Tx has an influence on the sound but imho the key to it all is the interplay between the output valves and the Tx together in terms of setting a load line. Plus of course anything you design the pre-amplification driver stages to achieve.

Indeed setting the primary impedance is very important when it comes to your valve plates melting or not! And that is also affected by the load you put on the transformer secondary. In the opposite direction to solid state a valve amp is more likely to go pop if you put a higher impedance on the output Tx secondary.

A sawtooth wave is a combination of odd harmonics, so would be linked with a push pull output stage that tends to cancel the evens. Pentodes also tend more towards odd harmonics as I recall, can't quite remember why off my head though.

A well reproduced square wave up to 40KHz is quite respectable bandwidth, wonder what the lower limit of such an output Tx is.

More of a guitar amp person these days, but maybe in the future I'll have a go at some dual channel stuff. Spending a lot of time currently looking into variable power reduction circuits for guitar amps.

I realise that actual magnets degrade over time, but new to me that the iron core in a transformer can have less flux over time. I realise the laminations can separate causing loss of effiency, but the ones I have are very high quality solid 'c' cores.
For bass duties, found pentodes not so much to my liking, seem to get harsher quicker when over driven (maybe a plus for a guitarist).
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 7:00pm
I'm not 100% sure tbh, if you read Morgan Jones he most definitely ascribes to the deterioration of older magnetics such as chokes and transformers. I don't have enough real life experience to be totally confident in it. But entropy gets all things eventually so it would not surprise me if magnetic dipoles could reorder over time, perhaps due to the microstructure of the steel changing. I am thinking many decades here as opposed to a few years.

Pentodes probably do get harsher quicker when overdriven but as always the devil is in the details of how the particular circuit was made and what being overdriven means. Triodes are less noisy in general and usually the choice for HiFi as a result. Pentodes certainly dominate the world of higher power guitar but I couldn't say if its for tone or an easy power boost. Probably the 2 are inter related as always!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

I'm not 100% sure tbh, if you read Morgan Jones he most definitely ascribes to the deterioration of older magnetics such as chokes and transformers. I don't have enough real life experience to be totally confident in it. But entropy gets all things eventually so it would not surprise me if magnetic dipoles could reorder over time, perhaps due to the microstructure of the steel changing. I am thinking many decades here as opposed to a few years.

Pentodes probably do get harsher quicker when overdriven but as always the devil is in the details of how the particular circuit was made and what being overdriven means. Triodes are less noisy in general and usually the choice for HiFi as a result. Pentodes certainly dominate the world of higher power guitar but I couldn't say if its for tone or an easy power boost. Probably the 2 are inter related as always!

It's an interesting topic. Given the earths core is iron and magnetic, I wonder whether the continual heating rejuvenates the magnetic quality of the iron..... I'll check out the writing of Morgan Jones. It would be interesting to plot the changes in tx's and  chokes used in applications such as the BBC world service transmitters that have run continually for decades. I guess they would need to be fairly stable. It would also be interesting to have an hour meter on my amp to see how long/many times it's been used. I guess it's age to be 45-47 years old!
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 8:01pm
i remember a valve system are leeds area in the late 70s. they used ex-bbc valve amps, they could of been modified valve transmitter amps? used to cover 3000+ people
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

i remember a valve system are leeds area in the late 70s. they used ex-bbc valve amps, they could of been modified valve transmitter amps? used to cover 3000+ people

I can believe it. heard of a sound in Brum, had amps with transmitter valves which smoked 20 18's in one go! There's an American duds on youtube who builds ridiculous amps, and uses a perspex sheet between him and amp, cos when they go bang, they really go bang!

Being that it's getting big tx's wound which is the hardest, and the OP has a friend capable of doing it, I await earthly vibrations originating from NZ. No need to inform us via a forum, just whack the b-line up...... I can guess' No No No' from quite a distance......!!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 11:13am
I've got a mental image of a chap face who winds reasonably sized 50-100W sized output Txs being presented with a picture and spec of the desired 20kg beast LOL If the funds are there it'd be a neat challenge anyway.

I wonder if there is a market for 500W-ish channel PA amplifiers still. Bit of a lost art but no reason it couldn't be revived a little if the customers are there. Tube production doesn't look like it is ceasing anytime soon. Even transmitter tubes are still being produced for applications that demand them. Typically 7-10kV regulation is required for thin film evaporation processes for a start and that is a huge market which produces the compound semiconductors behind the wireless RF comms boom.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 6:39pm
When John Chambers (Champs) let it be known via interweb
he was making 1k monk blocks, he had alot of interest. Niche business
but probably still doable if advertised to the right people. Btw, my amp
probably could do with 750v 47uf(?? I think) cans. Finding difficult to get them tho. Seems like high voltage are hard to find.
As said before, if one is dedicated, they can be built. I think just having
valve amps tucked away doing their thing is not feasible, the need to be noticed for sound and looks.

Edited by valve head777 - 24 February 2018 at 3:13pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 6:46pm
Hope this hasn't  gone too off topic for the OP......

16 drivers, 4 cabs fed with 500w of valve power each would be a system to behold. Drop John Holts 'Ali Baba' on Treasure Isle....... Bring a smile to my face!!!Big smile
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:06pm

When John Chambino (Champs) let it be known via interweb
he was making 1k monk blocks, he had alot of interest. Niche business
but probably still doable if advertised to the right people. Btw, my amp
probably could do with 750v 47uf(?? I think) cans. Finding difficult to get them tho. Seems like high voltage are hard to find.
As said before, if one is dedicated, they can be built. I think just having
valve amps tucked away doing their thing is not feasible, the need to be noticed for sound and looks.

Yeah I agree on the looks, people buy them to make a statement not just solely push electrons. I'm not going to do anything serious about it for years but might take a crack sometime in the future when I have a few more guitar amps under the belt.

750V caps do sound tricky (and expensive). One shortcut is potentially replacing with 2x500V in series (of 2x47uF each, 100uF total would be fine) and include parallel resistors to equalise voltages over them. A pretty common trick when the parts bin doesn't have quite what you need. You can get a double cap enclosure of this rating for about £10 which would probably drop right in and replace the existing with an appropriate mounting collar.

E.g. https://modulusamplification.com/Capacitor-can-100uf-100uf-500v-ma-cap-P680732.aspx?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>