Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V Bothy Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuntzahoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12V Bothy Rig
    Posted: 27 February 2018 at 3:17pm
Hi everyone. I'm building a small/medium size 12V rig for bothy parties in Scotland. Since bothies (a one room stone building, used by herdsmen in old times, home to ghosts and hikers these days) are often in remote places, the rig needs to be fairly portable but still meaty enough to rinse the jungle. I've built a cubo 12 which will serve as the sub and have been testing this with some 12v car audio gear (Pyramid 600Wrms driver wired to an Alpine 120W amp). Results are good but I'm intrigued to hear it with a bigger amp. There seems to be some interesting cheapo 12V amps on ebay, any recommendations? And 12V crossover recommendations?

My main reason for posting was to ask if anyone could recommend a simple, lightweight cabinet design that will cover from 160Hz upwards to match my cubo 12. Eventually I want to have a couple of subs and midtops but will start by building one of each. 

Any advice appreciated!
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 3:27pm
Probably won't go far wrong with a Boominator sat on top. I run signature Boominator and 2 Cubo12s powered off JL audio MX300/1 and 60Ah lifepo4. Boominator is active with Maxamp20 and MiniDSP powered by 10Ah Lifepo4. Seems plenty load enough for 50+ in a field...
Also means that with a re-load to the Boominator DSP it runs stand alone really well too.... It will be paying a visit to the indoor skate park on Sat night, will grab some pics....

I use the crossover in the MX300 (high and low pass) and use the MiniDSP to crossover and delay the Boominator to compensate for horn length of the Cubos.

Still not quite finished this all yet (wiring mess, cubos not finished), but will be fully up and running for the summer.

Dupe...
Dupe...
stuntzahoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuntzahoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 3:46pm
Boominator looks sweet but I don't really want 360 degree sound; reckon this would cause a horrible echo-y racket inside an old stone bothy. Is there a Boominator type design thats forward facing only? Or are the four drivers integral to the whole design of the thing (kinda seems that way...)
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by stuntzahoy stuntzahoy wrote:

Boominator looks sweet but I don't really want 360 degree sound; reckon this would cause a horrible echo-y racket inside an old stone bothy. Is there a Boominator type design thats forward facing only? Or are the four drivers integral to the whole design of the thing (kinda seems that way...)

Plus they weigh about 25kg + and don't sound good indoors.

Edited by Shortrope - 27 February 2018 at 4:05pm
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 4:12pm
Sorry, not ideal indoors, missed that of the original post, thought it was like a open compound with a tiny sleeping area, so mainly outside! Other option would be a high efficiency top cab, re-wire to run digital 12 or 24V amps.

Dupe...

Edited by DJ-Dulux - 27 February 2018 at 4:13pm
Dupe...
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 7:50pm
Simplest (but not necessarily the most power-efficient) is to get a large-ish class D car sub amp for the Cubo and probably 4ch class D car amp for the mid-tops.

Examples :-

Bassface  do a sub amp rated at 2000W or something - (heh) - with a single 8R load should get you around 350W for the cubo.

Pioneer do a good-sounding 4ch class D full-range amp - about 4 x 120W or so (2R loads) , but wired as 2 x bridged channels into 8R loads should get you about 2 x 150W I think for 8R mid-tops

Use the built-in Xovers - only 12dB/octave but - well its a compromise.

Crossovers running from 12V is not so easy ..... mini-DSP is one possible route, but don't forget you'll need to carry a laptop with it to tweak it around.

You can put together a system with well-known chip amp modules like 5630 etc. , but then you'll need to be dealing with DC-DC converters, you'll nee to build your own enclosures, wiring, gain controls etc. - could well be more power-effiicient, lends itself better to using lithium batteries, but can wind up costing as much (or more) than the 2 car amps.

My 2p anyway ....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 7:56pm
Vibe amps are worth a look as well.

Choice of midtop depends a lot on your restrictions and priorities. You can pick up some quality used PA midtops on eBay, stick em on poles. Easiest option if you don't mind the size and weight.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 8:03pm
You've got the Halfinator, which is .... half a Boominator. That should be a decent match with a fully powered Cubo 12.
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 3:02pm
I have built a small speaker with 2 Faital Pro 4FE32. They are pretty good and loud I reckon if you built two sealed cabinets with 2 drivers in each with internal volume around 4L cross them about 200hz should be plenty loud enough in a little Bothy. Can help with design if you are struggling. Pm me. So two 8ohm spespeakers wired in parallel to give 4ohm power them with a sure board or Dayton audio. But from Sure direct in China or Dayton from sound imports in Holland. What battery are you using? Nice idea for a party!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 5:52pm
4x 4fe32 won't keep up with a Cubo12 driven with 600w indoors. Excursion limits output even if crossed at 200Hz.

The basic idea is good though, just try 8x at least in a column. Probably still find it wanting, but could add more later if required.

4x 4fe32 with 100w pushes/exceeds excursion limits below 225Hz and gives 113dB

Say the Cubo is 102dB sensitive in 2Pi but inside the stone bothy is probably near enough 0.5Pi so it could be 112, 113dB/Watt or more. +600w and you're looking at minimum 20dB over the 4fe box, assuming you run them as a 4 driver mono column. More if you run them stereo.

Edited by Hemisphere - 10 March 2018 at 6:03pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 7:29pm
What about fane 12tc250 full range?
Good efficiency, should meet a cubo, easy to implement
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 8:36pm
Efficiency is what is needed for a battery powered system = Louder for longer.
I put together a 12V rig last year - For the mid tops I was given some vintage Fane 12 drivers that did over 100db/W (Fane classic 12/85) and crossed them over to a pair of compression drivers on big bi-radial horns.
Impressively loud even on 30w RMS per channel amp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>