Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quad 12" Kick Sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dokkodo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dokkodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quad 12" Kick Sub
    Posted: 22 December 2021 at 9:00pm
Hi all

Going to wade in on this as a total newb, apologies, I appreciate this thread has been dormant a while.

I have repurposed a pair of CSX70 community speakers which are 4x12, and am about to rebuild them for a second time, experimenting with different designs. Seems rare outside of guitar cabs to find a 4x12 design, so was interested to see this.

I already have dual 15" PPSL subs, so the low end is covered in my system, however I am wondering whether this design, or a variation of it, might be well suited to more of a low-mid/kicker design. Or, having seen the drawing for the halved cab version, I could split into two and have low-mid and hi-mid versions, from 120 up to say 1k?

My understanding of the electro-acoustics and physics is reasonably limited, however I am a woodworker by trade so im less daunted by the actual making than the science.

Anyway just curious, as these look pretty badass.

Cheers!

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 12:55pm
Hi,
No rush, take your time!! 
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2019 at 1:57pm
Hey Bob,

Sure, I'll have to do it either tonight or tomorrow as i won't be home till late.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 8:53am
hey stalian, would it be possible for you to re-export and upload the skp, I would like to check the design, but am running an older version on an old computer (2014 sketchup 14.0.4899).

Cry
RPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 10:36am
Awesome thanks for the info!

I've heard of people using B&Cs in the Xoc1, do you personally rate the BMS drivers any higher? We are looking at building some down the line...

Also was wondering if you know much about the coverage and directivity of your awesome mid bin?

Love those 18 sound 12ND930s, have heard them haul ass inside some MKB-230 kick bins :)

Cheers!
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 9:51am
Hehe thanks :) I was really happy with the way the design worked out in the end!
The only issue with this design is the tricky angles of the baffles and putting it together can be a little frustrating at first!

Yeah I used xoc1's design and they perform bloody awesome. Got a pair of bms 18n862 In the cabs. 

The freq range you're looking for is perfect for that cab and it'll extend much lower if you wanted when you take the port cover off.
I installed 18sound 12ND930 and they're fantastic performing drivers and match the cab perfectly.

Keep us posted on how you get on!
RPK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 7:16am
Absolutely the coolest low mid design I've seen! Huge props and big ups! Tongue

We are probably about to build some ES-18s to sit above our beautiful B&C loaded MTH4654 (very similar tapped horns to the TH18 - I'm guessing you are using the Xoc1 design?) 

This kick bin matches the aesthetic we're looking for much better than the ES-18, and by what you've said peforms very well. We only need it to cover from about 80-170hz. I think I'll definitely have a crack at knocking one up when I can spare the money on drivers. Speaking of, what drivers do you recommend for this box?

Once again thanks for sharing this amazingly cool design! 

Peace
RPK 
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 9:08pm
No its just 1 chamber. Never really thought of separating them to be honest. It's easily done if you want to though. 
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 12:40pm
sorry for the silence...

Since the last build, I've modified the design quite a bit to make things easier to install and maintain. 

you can download the new sketchup file and DWG for anyone who wants to use it. The sound levels are incredible from this thing!

I haven't measured anything apart from a simple DB reading which reached 130db at 80hz at 1m if i remember. 

any comments are more than welcome...

P.S the grill cover is simply an experiment but will probs leave the drivers exposed as the bins like pretty out there.

Merry Christmas,
Sal
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 12:18pm
Any updates about this build? 
Vajra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 6:55am
Nice Work Stalian 
One Mistake, Game Over...
stalian87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalian87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:45am
No paper plan sorry, just the stetchup file
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>